Lomilomi is not a massage!

It's a way of life. If you truly understand what lomilomi is then you should know that lomilomi is aloha. Aloha for one another, aloha for yourself, aloha for the plants, the wind, the ocean. Lomilomi is aloha for our ancestors, for the keiki, aloha for our kuleana. Lomilomi is continuous, constantly, forever. Share lomilomi every second of everyday, and you will get lomilomi from everyone around you.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• yep. incisive
    Penetrating, clear, and sharp, but don't believe your savior is not a part of your lineage.
    That is the is the illusion sustained by the ' only us not them plan " uhane
  • Ae, he mea pololei keia mana'o ia nei. Lomi Lomi has been part of my kupuna legacy going as far back as when my ancestor Tevahineu'iitetairoroa came from Bora Bora to Hawaii. My kupuna resided in Moanalua and were the retainers to Kakuihewa. Lomi Lomi is what I bring with me where ever I go, with me comes all the knowledge and Mana that comes from Jesus. I am a minister of Christ healing to the world. This is the source of my Mana, not my ancestors but from my Savior and LORD Jesus Christ. O Oe Io, he Makulani no Kawaiola.
  • I agree Kaiks,

I'm no expert but what you say about lomilomi is true from my own experiences with my family. My baby loves it and sometimes when she is fussy, I lomi her legs and feet and she sometimes goes to sleep like that. Lomilomi within the family helps to promote nurturing. Including the la`au lapa`au during a lomilomi insures the knowledge is kept in the family (indirectly/directly). Overall, I think everyone should have a chance to nurture their families with lomilomi.
    • Aloha Momi,

I totally agree with what you said, i grew up remembering my grandfather visiting us and telling his stories of his childhood and growing up and while he did this he would lomi our (sis and brother) legs and arms...so i now have carried part of that into my family and my boys love it.... and of course i do get it in return from them. You are a blessing..Aloha, Lynette
    • Mahalo ia `oe e Lynnette. The lomilomi traditions must live on...

Imua kakou...
    • Ae! Imua!
      My own childhood experiences with lomi wasn't so direct. My father would ask me to walk up and down his back , massaging with my feet as i went, when I was as young as I can remember. He told me then that I was different from my three brothers cuz i had a "touch."

Later, my life twisted me away from massage as I grew to understand the world, but returned to develop my skills after graduating from high school. Having no idea what was about to happen, a transformation took place that allowed me to better understand the healing processes in all things. Now I utilize most of my skill to be a mahiai. The plants that I nurture share their pure healing energy with me as i care for them. My belief is that this is just another aspect of lomi that allows me to continue practicing our living art.

Aloha ke Akua,
      kaiks
    • Mahalo e Kaiks,

I had to work on my dad as well (just like you by walking on his back) although I didn't realize how much of a role in my own life lomilomi would play. Since I've relearned it from other kumu. My husband doesn't have sore muscles, I don't have sore muscles, my kids sleep better and we all are over all healthier. I believe getting the blood circulating helps to boost the immune system. Therefore we can do our hana better.....yes, it has been a transformation for us as well.

I also feel the same about my relationship with my plants. I've struggled with Kalo since I live in Kona and we get plenty rocks and not much soil. We really have to hana to build soil here. but we do grow some of our food that can grow here, and when we eat our mea `ai, we really appreciate it alot more when we grow it ourselves and appreciate that it is more vitamin fortified then store bought food which has been on the shelf.

Maika`i ka hana....I have one kalo that is doing really good and has five babies coming off of it. I made a new garden and will try to spread the kalo in their. Mahalo for the inspiration and spreading da word on lomilomi.....

Momi
    • Mahalo Kaiks,

I just got some varieties of dryland huli kalo Hawai`i from my brother in law so I planted and watered them right away. I had to lomi the lepo with my feet first....lol! I shared the huli with them when I had more varieties but mine didn't live. His mala kalo was pumping and had lots of oha so he had some huli already rooting.... I'm very excited now. I'm going to grow them and ask him to identify them for me when they get bigger. It would be cool to make a list and pictures of different varieties of kalo.

Momi
    • Aloha Momi n Kaiks,

I love your sharing of doing that walk across those backs, i too had to do that...ha, i have my boyz do the same, and teach them to hold on to things around so the weight is not too heavy now that their grown, but still my babies, in fact my 21 year old just left, he came by just to get a lomi for his neck. I learned at school about so called knots or kinks in your shoulder and things like that helped me to understand that it was wasted products stuck in an area and after the massage it is very important to drink lots of water to help the continuation of moving the waste products out of your system...

More so, switching to what you guys are doing with Kalo, wow!!! i'm excited for you guys..i have been contemplating growing Kalo, as my classmate has tried to encourage me to do so....i live in Manoa Valley.... so yeah, its crazy not to, but i also don't have the freedom to plant whatever i feel like here... i could find it gone the next day....

well, blessings to you both and your ohana, aloha, Lynette
This reply was deleted.