Song translations

Today I was reviewing a draft cultural impact assessment for Pelekunu valley, and the song "Nā Makani ʻEhā" was cited for its Pelekunu verse, printed as: He wahine ʻoe no Pelekunu mai You are a woman from Pelekunu Valley He nani maoli nō A beautiful local girl Ka heke no ʻoe i ka ʻike la Your unsurpassed beauty is seen He wehi no kuʻu nui kino An adornment for my body Hoʻi mai au iʻa nei I am returning here Ka uluwehi o ke Koʻolau The lushness of the mountains Me ka lei The lei I ka makani Puʻupilo The wind named Puʻupilo it was attributed to "Kamakahi, n.d." But I was thinking that there was little chance that that set of lyrics and translations was what the Right Reverend Dennis Kamakahi was singing, so I did a quick google search and saw immediately that the preparers went straight to Huapala.org and pulled the verse and translation verbatim from it. Only on huapala.org would you find "nani maoli nō" translated as "beautiful local girl." But try as I might, I could find no other web translation of the song that wasnʻt obviously derived from huapala.org. So I went to listen to the song again. This is what I thought I heard: He wahine ʻoe no Pelekunu mai Youʻre a woman from Pelekunu he nani maoli nō a true beauty indeed ʻO ka heke nō ʻoe i kaʻu ʻike la Youʻre the best in my experience He wehi no kuʻu nui kino An adornment for my entire body Hoʻi mai au i ʻaneʻi I return here i ka uluwehi o ke Koʻolau to the lush verdure of the Windward side Me ka lei i ka makani Puʻupilo with the lei in the Puʻupilo wind Maybe the differences are too small to sweat over, but it struck me that when Hawaiian language sources of any kind are assembled for a cultural assessment, it would help a great deal if the assemblers had some basic understanding of what they were compiling, rather than merely pulling material together, flawed to greater or lesser extent. OK, Iʻll stop there... ʻOhu

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –