The Epic Tale of Hiiakaikapoliopele

Hey everyone, So did anyone read the translated version of Hooulumahiehie's Ka Moolelo o Hiiakaikapoliopele? What did you guys think of it? Was it interesting? Boring? Too long? Too expensive? Favorite parts? Least favorite? Funny? Obscure? Too many footnotes? Not enough footnotes? I'm super interested in people's reactions to the book. I admit that I'm only one of three translators who worked on that book, but I think that all of us welcome the input. Please feel free to be blunt; it's better to hear someone's honest opinion than a vague complimentary statement. I think it would be great if these kinds of translations were more interactive, and we are working on other translations, so I think any kind of criticism, constructive or destructive, would be helpful to the translators and the readers. me ke aloha, kamaoli ps can talk about the hawaiian version too if you guys like, i just thought that since this was the translation group i would bring up the translation first...

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hmm, i thought we were talking about the eng but now i'm not sure...
    • Kamaoli and I were talking about putting together a weekly reading quota. We can read a certain amount of pages and then get on here and discuss it. What do you folks think about this?
      Aloha,
      Noe
  • ok, so everyone must be swamped with finals. Me included. I read pg. one and my favorite pieces so far---well on page one anyway were the helu inoa of the Hi'iaka. Also the allusion to "ka po'e pa'a mo'olelo Hi'iaka" makes you wonder, *wow* there was a group of people with whom the mo'olelo were preserved? Ok, so my second favorite thing besides the helu/ho'ailona (I noticed the choice of ho'ailona, as opposed to kinolau) pairing of the "inoa" of Hi'iaka was how the author described the beauty of Hi'iakaikapoliopele: 'oiai, u'i na Hi'iaka a pau, 'o Hi'iakaikapoliopele ka 'oi loa o ka u'i ma waena o lakou a pau. Let's see:
    ua like ka nono 'ula o na papalina o keia wahine me ka wai 'ula liliko o ka 'ohelo
    'o kona 'ili ua like me ka pua hala melemele maika'i
    a 'o kona 'oiwi a pau, he u'i ho'oheno e nopu hulili ai ka houpo o ka 'ao'ao 'o'ole'a
    I like the pattern of the 'olelo as well as the kinds of words deployed by the mea mo'olelo.
    'o ka 'ula a me ka melemele, a me ka nopu hulili: redness, yellowness, heat, undulation, dazzling light, radiance of beauty. wow. These are my favorite images from page one....
    • Aloha e Kala`i:
      Aole maopopo i au i ke kumukuai no ia mana haole, no ka mea, ua kuai au i na mana elua pu hoi. Ina imi oe ma ebay a e kipa ia Borders e niele i ke kumukuai, ina e loaa ana paha i ka helu pololei.
    • ahhh me too!! but not just redness and yellowness!!!....

he nono ula! he pua hala melemele maika'i!

some stuff is so hard to translate!!! i'd have to leave it at that! nono ula, pua hala melemele maika'i!!
    • Indeed if one wishes to woo a wahine there are some excellent pointers in there...
  • It might be that parts of Pele's clan were left behind on the way down the island chain, but I think that in some cases, it must have been spiritual/symbolic, because one of the places is a speck of low atoll in the NW Hawaiian Island string of atolls, named for one of Pele's brothers, Kanemiloha'i, which would not be a likely place for a permanent establishment for a branch of the Pele family, though staking a claim on the rich fisheries of that region would not be a bad thing for the Pele clan!
    'Ohu
  • 'o au pu kekahi! 'o au pu kekahi! Ua loa'a ia'u i ka mo'olelo o Hi'iaka i keia la!
    Noe
    • theres sooooooo much to talk about when it comes to this or any ka'ao hawaii....what would you guys want to talk about??? every random thought we have about culture? or just the translation??? should we make another group jus to talk about this story?? i mean with just the first 5 pages, theres CHOKE to talk about!!!
  • ok so....i finally read up to page 5....

'ohu - kupaoa and kupali'i - so kupali'i doesn't really have a scent?? thats interesting....even after prepping in some way?

im interested in nene hiwa lani i remember reading that the first time i read the story....i wondered....anyone know what that means?

ps....sorry for posting so much...i really like the Hiiaka stories!
This reply was deleted.