MAUNA KEA: World's Largest Telescope proposed

This struggle has landed...like an asteroid!! Scientific Hawaiians are especially needed to dispel the myth that we are "anti-science" just because we are concerned about desecration, impacts, etc., so if you can help with this, please do! Hearing before the BLNR this friday, 9 am. Not clear how long it will take to get to the item on the agenda. Could be all day, or the meeting could be pau in less than 2 hours. Depends. Anyway, I'm going. Wish I had more info -- I'll post when I get it. Aloha, L.

Letter-to-blnr-regarding-ku`iwalu-cmp-briefing_april_11_2008.doc

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• btw, I finally got much better clarification. Hope I didn't mislead anyone. Here's what I sent to Ikaika:

Clarification: Ok, you may have got the full scoop on the BLNR thing by now, I dunno. I want to be sure to get the facts straight, but couldn't get the real picture till I talked with Kealoha a few hours ago. I did not mean to be misleading, but passed on what was originally passed on to me, & at the time, Kealoha could only give me confirmation that it is true, but didn't have time to clarify. Basically, the BLNR meeting today is not a hearing per se but a regular board mtg., at which UH IFA has finagled a "special report" on the progress of their "management plan", which would include TMT (i.e."The Mega Telescope"), but is not about it per se. In theory, the Board will not be approving anything at this meeting, but it's not totally out of the question. Mauna Kea Anaina Hou has had serious problems with the process, to say the least. I hope I didn't cause too much confusion. What I wrote earlier was accurate, but maybe not as clear as it should have been. Aloha!
This reply was deleted.