Calling `io

Aloha, Has anyone ever had the experience of being able to call the `io? Well, it has been an awesome experience for me. My sister an I were up in the kuahiwi about ten years ago. She was picking coffee and I was keeping her company taking a break from coffee harvesting and playing the guitar and there were four hawks in the sky. I thought it wasn't too common but I did my Hawk kahea which was followed a by a whistle. (sounding like how they cry) Two hawks came together about 50 ft. above us and grabbed each other's legs and started to spiral down towards us and right when it was about 15 feet above us, it separated and all its soft feathers fell on us. I knew this was not normal. Tried to figure out if they were mating or fighting. Well, I tried this call several times after and it definitley lures them closer so the other day, I was beating kapa with the 1st graders from the Hawaiian immersion school and their school mascot it the io so they all yelled and looked up and we saw a hawk over the field across the street from the school. So I told them, "did you know you can call io?" So I called and whistled and to my surprise, most of them knew how to whistle and they all started whistling. Well the hawk came and flew right above us. The whole time the teachers were talking and didn't see a thing but maybe that was how it was suppose to be. An experience for me to have with the children. It was awesome. There are so many moolelo I have like this but I guess spirituality can be a touchy subject. This was a cute story I thought I could share. I figured out that the hawks mating season is during the ;months of Nov. through maybe Feb and this is the time they are looking for mates. Possibly the call we used is one for calling the mates closer.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Aloha Momi,

I have an interesting story regarding an 'io. The story takes place in Los Angeles, Ca in 1992, when America was going to celebrate the so called Columbus discovery of America. I was attending a protest against Columbus meeting with Native Lakota Elders and political activist in the basement of an LA apartment building. We had just taken our seats in a circle when through a very small open window a large red tail hawk flew in... it circled over the heads of all of us, it's wings touching the tops of our heads. Know one moved or said a word and the hawk landed on a chair in the back of the room. A few minutes passed and finally one elder woman began to speak in Lakota...her words were translated into english. She said,we have an important visitor watching over our meeting and so we had better do some good work. We planned our demonstration and the hawk watched during the entire meeting of about two hours. For all native peoples, the hawk has spiritual value and gives lessons to those who have the heart and eyes to see. We left the room with the hawk inside...we called the building manager the next day and he said the hawk left in the morning. Our protest was successful.
    A true story.
    • Aloha e Braddah O,

I only read this today... E kala mai. That is a beautiful story...yes. the hawk is an amazing symbol...I agree it gives many lessons we just have to pay attention.

and the `io resided over the whole protest which was successful...Maika`i...Mahalo for sharing this...We probably see the same `io flying around since we live so close...:)

Aloha,

Momi
  • This is one that I am very fimiliar with from when I was small...sadly now only in my dreams have I seen any of them. Although lately within the past week or so I have been hearing their call..there has been alot of things going on lately and alot of our aumakuas have been showing themselves. The heavens have also been very open lately. Has anyone else been experiencing what I am talking about. The extreme jump in activity in the spiritual world started last month all of a sudden things got very heightened and I sensed the coming of the Mano...this is a natural thing for me being that I have always known when they were near but this seemed different. I never had a fear for the Mano but I felt alot of aggressiveness going on like they are hunting but not out of hunger and I feel alot of the amakuas moving. Now I am hearing the call of the I'o practically on a daily basis off and on during the day....Normally I don't talk about these things but of late I know there are others out there feeling these ripples..
    • Aloha e Ku`uleinani,

`Ae. We have had a flood of mano sightings in N. Kona and S. Kohala of which the beaches have been closed down. On the news they said they have never seen such an influx. Also with the great white sighting etc... `Ae. something is going on. I'm not sure what to make of it but I guess all we can do is watch. Others have mentioned they've been experiencing ho`ailona. I have no idea what it is though.

Aloha,

Momi
    • Ae Tita, I had sent out a call to my ohana via coconut wireless about a week before the sightings started occuring. The visual confirmation only strenghted my warning. I have been in prayer since and things have seemed to settle down somewhat but I still hear the calling of the I'o. Its as though they are right there with me and I don't get a bad feeling but I know somethings up, I know there is a reason.
    • interesting Ku`uleinani,

One just circled near our house above the `ohi`a trees. We all tried to call it, the baby even let out an `io sounding cry.It was cute. It flew a couple of times in circles and flew off as usual. It was nice to see it. That is somewhat the norm here to see the `io. and everytime I see one I recognize it as a ho`ailona. I felt good about today. I got lots of work done in the yard. Maybe it was looking for mice in the newly cut grass. I weed wacked about a quarter acre. I felt great.

Aloha,

Momi
  • How wonderful that many Hawaiians have experiences that are similar and unique. I've had many throughout my lifetime and some were subtle and not a big impact to others. Kanika'io is an ancestor of mine and therefore we have an affinity for the 'io. In my youth, I would take my sister's black collie up behind her house at Pacific Palisades before the other increments encroached the uplands. I always looked forward to those times because the 'io would come and play with us as we rollicked in the open fields of the uplands. The 'io and I would call out to each others and chase each other while "Koa" , my tita's dog, would romp about and bark in excitement. Sometimes I felt I could see through its eyes. I loved that freedom I felt up there. Now all that's gone but the memories are there.

Next time I'll share a few of the visions I've had since a child.
    • Aloha e Tane,

Mahalo ka mo`olelo o `io. Yes, I agree, every person who knows their connection to the aina can understand the ho`ailona. We are lucky we know what we are seeing. There are many who don't have a clue. Over population is encroaching on our way of life. Was that on O`ahu that you've seen the `io?

You know, and our people have and always will have our connection to `io...For a long time, I thought I was the only one noticing `io to this extent. It is quite refreshing to hear others know and feel the same. We must all be descended of the people who respected `io. Mahalo Kakou for all the mana`o. It seems we are very deeply related to `io.

Aloha `io,

Momi
    • Aloha Momi:
      Yes it was above the Pacific Palisades in Pearl City, O'ahu. It is also one of our aumakua, Kanika'io, who is also one of our ancestors, but from Kaua'i. Ku'uleinani, are you listening? Heee. heee. heee. (She is one of my 'ohana and maybe she realizes more her connection with the 'io.) I mention the 'io in a few of our family kanikau. My sister's son carries the inoa. We have an affinity for the 'io that goes back a long time.
  • Oops! I didn't mean my previous post to go on so long.

Well, the point I was trying to make was that there were some really positive things about the whole debacle. Whenever customers would ask about my ethnic background it was usually followed by the question of whether or not I practiced huna to which I took the opportunity to inform them. They were genuinely receptive. Some would give me hugs and tell me sorry. By doing that my coworkers grew to despise me and in the end it was best that I left an atmosphere thick with delusional arrogance.

So if you've reached the end of my mo'olelo, mahalo nui loa for hangin in there. Hang tuff!

Aloha,
    ~*Kamea*~
This reply was deleted.