I remember helping Uncle Clay keep his promise to Anakala Eddie. We, meaning Hokule`a, Makali`i, and Kanehunamoku, sailed Anakala back to Miloli`i. We left from Kealakekua, three generations of canoes in such a sacred bay; the sails were open, the various pu were blaring, and chants of honor, genealogy, and gladness echoed off the cliffs. Everybody could feel the mana that morning, and we all knew that there was nothing at that point in our lives that felt so pure, it was so pono. It was just a chicken skin moment that Im sure non of us will ever forget. We were all at that moment living the dream that Capt. had always spoke of. Being on that sail with Anakala made everyone proud that they would be able to be apart of something so deep, so historic, and so true.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Mahalo for sharing that, and voicing it so well that I felt anakala's aloha in the naau. My most memorable moment on a waa kaulua was aboard Hokulea, on a short trip from Hanakanaia o Kanaloa to kahi kai o Mamala. I awoke at midnight in the lee of Molokai, just short of ka lae o Laau, and in my semi-conscious state was struck by seasickness. I went to the watch captain and asked "please give me something to do so I can fight this motion sickness" and I was put on the main steering paddle, just as Hokulea cleared Laau and entered onto Kaiwi. The winds shot across the bow, the sails went full, and Hokulea began to shoot strongly across the swells. The fresh winds, the excitement of the sudden acceleration, and my deep concern to keep on course swept my sickness away. I asked what star to steer on, and got a laugh: "You see that big orange glow on the horizon? keep us straight on the middle of it!" I laughed too then, and kept the silhouette of the bows on the glow of Honolulu. We arrived at sunrise, blew pu, said our morning pule, and stepped off as the kualono Koolau received the morning light.
This reply was deleted.