Ohia Lehua

I planted two ohia plants in pots about a year ago. I'm wondering when do they start flowering? The picture is the same plant a year ago and as it is today.

ohialehua.jpg

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The thing I notice about 'ohi'a lehua is that the moment you put them in the ground, they will start to shoot up into tree stature and bloom profusely. I have 1 mamo and 1 ulaula and neither were blooming while in pots, though like yours they doubled their biomass and grew and added foliage. But when they got into the ground, one of the many branches began leaping toward the sky and once it was twice my height, the blooms began, through the late hooilo and into the early kauwela, with a rest during the hotter time of the summer. So right now both are blooming profusely, the red one is pushing up into the overhead electric lines, and I will have to move those lines, rather than cut the treetop.
    The mamo is higher than the garage now and offers bright yellow blossoms to the bees and amahiki that swing by out of the forest reserve next door.
    • Eh, here's a related forest question I would love mana'o on: PSYLIDS. I'm pondering non-insecticidal solutions, containment strategies, and practical (including realistic) tips for hands-on people, especially gatherers. Any thoughts?
  • i have a plant like this one too. it was given to me back in 2003 from a wedding centerpiece. i placed it in a bigger pot to allow it to grow (same size as you have in your pic). to this day, 5 years later, the plant has gown bigger but still no pua. i believe this plant is a hybrid but am not sure if that makes much of a difference. let me know what comes up of this discussion.

aloha!
    • My mom planted some in the ground in Kahalu'u and they seemed to take long -- seemed to want to focus on leaves and trunk, maybe. But then she planted some in pots and they have lots of flowers. Varieties are different, I think -- I'm not sure what the secret is.
    • A friend told me it takes about 5years. Interesting to know. :)
This reply was deleted.