Pua'a: Mea Hawai'i? Mea Ho'opilikia?

I would like to start this discussion with a short article I wrote a while back...

Pua'a: Hawaiian animal – or forest pest? It is certainly well known that feral ungulates -- large browsing mammals such as cattle, goats, and pigs -- pose one of the most serious threats to the survival of native plants and animals in Hawai'i. Yet, isn't the pua'a (pig) a Hawaiian animal? Weren't pigs important in Hawaiian culture, and shouldn't they be allowed to roam free anywhere in the islands as a resource? It turns out that these questions are more complex than they seem, and the story of pigs in Hawai'i is one worth telling. To begin with, pigs of any sort are not native to Hawai'i. Imagining a pig (or indeed any large land mammal) swimming 2000 miles across the Pacific to get here makes it clear why our two native mammals are a seal, and a bat. Indeed, our native vegetation evolved for millions of years without the need to defend against grazing, rooting, or trampling, and had lost defense such as thorns or poisons. It remains a popular misconception that pigs are native to Hawaiian forests and that Hawaiians in precontact times hunted them as a way to get meat. The first pigs were brought to Hawai'i Nei by our Polynesian ancestors as early as the fourth century AD. These pua'a, or Polynesian pigs, were much smaller than the feral European swine found today in Hawaiian forests. They were the product of a long and close domesticated relationship with people, and rarely strayed far from the kauhale (family compound) where they enjoyed familial status. Taro and sweet potato agriculture in Hawai'i is incompatible with free-roaming pigs, and the common presence of pā pua'a (pig pens) in a typical house site reflects the controlled nature of pig management in traditional Hawai'i. One key factor during pre-contact times was that native forest then lacked large edible fruit such as guavas and mangos, both introduced after Western contact. Without such fodder, pre-contact pigs stayed close to their human source of shelter and food and did not stray far into surrounding forest. Clearly, pua'a carried strong cultural significance in traditional Hawai'i. Even the name of the traditional land division, ahupua'a, hearkens to the importance of pua'a as one of the resources offered during the annual Makahiki tributes. Pua'a, however, were but one land resource, produced by kanaka (people) and belonging to the wao kanaka (realm of people).

But there were also the thousands of native plants and animals who represented the kinolau (physical forms) of the 'aumakua (ancestral deities). These resided in the upland forests, the wao akua (realm of the gods) and were held sacred as the kini akua (myriad gods). In the traditional Hawaiian experience, pua'a, as human-reared, were denizens of the wao kanaka and alien to these sacred forests. There are no pre-contact traditions of hunting pigs for meat (though rat-hunting with arrows was celebrated), and even the exploits of Kamapua'a describe pursuit of the demigod – not for sport or sustenance – but so that he might be punished for his wrong-doings. All of this context changed following Cook. Following contact, European swine were introduced and over time, the Hawaiian pua'a interbred with and were displaced by these larger foreign animals. In quick succession, goats, sheep, cattle, and other ungulates followed. Introduction of this working stock, spread of western agriculture, decline of the native Hawaiian population, and a growing westernization of concepts of private land property contributed to the collapse of traditional Hawaiian land management systems, and with it, the careful control of animals such as pigs. Over the 1800s, uncontrolled spread of introduced ungulates (largely of feral cattle) led to the watershed crisis of the late 19th century, and widespread fencing, feral animal control, and forest restoration were undertaken to try to reverse the damage. King Kalākaua himself led a party into the head of Nuʻuanu Valley in the late 1870s to plant trees. The custom of recreational hunting evolved over the last two hundred years as Hawaiians assimilated western traditions dealing with these introduced feral animals. Today, hunting is not widely practiced in contemporary Hawaiian society – only two percent of the state's residents obtain hunting licenses – but it does occur as a modern practice, for recreation and to greater or lesser extent, for subsistence, especially on islands with strong rural settings, such as Molokaʻi. The techniques are entirely western, using trained dogs to chase and bay the animals, which are then dispatched with knife or gun. Hana Forest before feral pigs

Hana forest after feral pig damage

Today we face the continued destruction of native forest, and risk losing a huge and irreplaceable natural and cultural resource to uncontrolled feral animals. Feral pigs are widespread in the world, and in no danger of extinction. Pua'a were valuable cultural resources, but in ancient times were kept away from the wao akua, which held so much more of value to Hawaiians than a single species such as a pig. As we strive to strike a balance between protecting native Hawaiian plants and animals and our dwindling native forests and the more recent practice of game hunting, we need to reassert the huge value that the wao akua represents, and protect it and the thousands of kinolau of the kini akua that reside there for the descendants of the future.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree that the Native Forest need protection. The Pua'a are very damaging and detrimental to that initiative.

on the flip side, for us as a people to come together and truly head toward a sustainable living, the pua'a is a great source of food. So how can we work this out.

I have heard many arguments about fencing, things being kept out, things being kept in, cost, maintenance, etc. This also relates to goats and sheep found throughout Hawai'i nei and of course cattle. The cattle are worse in some areas than others but that has to do with land titles and what not.

Good or Bad
    Spreading of seeds through fecal matter and fur "stickers" (sorry forgot the word for that)

Seems to be alot of weeds and grasses that are transferred by the pigs by hitching a ride on their pelt...

in some areas they have been thought to move berries, but guavas probably are more likely to be transported ...

so it puts one into a conundrum. Food source that unknowingly roots and tramples our native flora, assists erosion and sneeks into a lo'i or to and reeks havoc. And with the average person and city and county regulatory issues keeping the modern family from raising pigs what do we do.

I would love to get some projects going that fence off small portions of ahupua'a at a time to get the forest going.

A deeper vision was to maybe pilot one that fences and works and ahupua'a in segments with areas that would let things pass through to get to neighboring ahupua'a and could create smaller more manageable areas that can be managed within themselves. Stream lines create a bit of a snag, there are many snags to work with....

I think we need to get some pilot projects going
    • I agree, if the conservationist would work with the hunters and support each other and let families who do hunt irradicate the pua`a, our forest might have a chance for rejuvination.

I was harassed one time by a hunter for making a statement in a magazine on the fact that pigs do not belong in the Hawaiian forest cause he thought I was saying to "stop all hunting" that was not what I was saying.

Yes, pilot projects would be a great beginning but at the same time the conservationist should work "with" the hunters and until then, the forest will suffer.
    • Yes, I donʻt know of any conservationists who ask hunting to stop. However, when the goal is to remove pigs altogether, it is easy to see how people would react. The logic goes: if pigs are eradicated, there are no pigs to hunt. However, the "E word" (eradication) is actually close to impossible to apply in reality. Pigs reproduce remarkably well. It takes consistent removal of over 60% of the population just to keep it the same, and pressures above 70% removal to reduce populations. No public hunting effort ever achieves that level of pressure for long, because when it becomes harder to hunt, hunting stops until it is easier. That kind of hunting only maintains populations, and can not easily reduce populations. Thus public hunting of pigs will likely always be there, and it is only in those areas with close to no pigs (the high elevation, rugged places where native forest still persists) that it is important to keep at zero or close to zero. These places are not important for subsistence hunting, but are vitally important for the kinolau of the kini akua, and for subsistence gathering of laʻau lapaʻau, mea wehiwehi hula, mea wai hooluu, mea laʻau hana, a mau loa aku.
      ʻOhu
    • What do you think some options might be for the wao kanaka regions. I guess it might depend on the botanical survey and what "belongs" but, for example where ranching occurs, there seems to be alot of fur borne seed dispersal. When the Pua'a population booms, when they begin frequenting the more populated areas the common weeds get taken mauka. So population control should definitely be conducted and new planting areas or areas that have naturally occurring populations might be fenced in. But that brings up the question does the pua'a help to spread our desired plants too?

tough case your honor.... ")
    • Better question is, do native plants require puaʻa to spread? the answer is clearly no, since they spent the majority of their existence in a world without pigs or any other large animals. They had some flightless birds, insects, and small forest birds to pollinate and help spread seeds, but they actually lost their ability to hitch a ride on fur, for example.
    • But I guess what I am asking is, do they get spread that way now, being that things are alot different the lack of the flightless birds and the small forest birds that are smaller in number, then we have the new birds and things that may be doing the job too.

I am wondering if they get spread through fecal deposits too.

I really don't know any of this for a fact, just pumping the blood through the brain.

Great topic
    • Yes, thanks for the answer and spelling on the e word. but conservationist limit the amount of pigs goats etc... hunted per person ? Am I right? Like in Waimea canyon I think they said they were allowed so many goats a year but the goats are a plenty so how are the numbers supposed to decrease in that case? This brings me to Kahuku who is run by Volcano National Park. Are they allowing the hunters to hunt or did they stop all that or do they make them go all the way to volcano in order to get a permit to hunt? I should ask them about it. I didn't want VNP to own that whole area cause they would hinder the rights of #1 The hunters #2. The gatherers of la`au. Any time the National Parks move in, all of a sudden we become second class citizens. You know what I mean, chasing us down for our 10.00 gate fee to enter into our own sacred grounds. This hinders my right to gather.
    • Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park has a policy of honoring Hawaiian practiioners. I have entered for free to offer aloha to tutu Pele at Kīlauea several times. State of Hawaii policy is different, of course, there are bag limits, when perhaps there should not be, so the animals never decrease, and many native plants of the Nā Pali coast are quite rare now from the incessant browsing.
    • Hmmm.. the last time I checked. Volcano National Park makes you get a permit for anything you pick and say if I lived on the kahuku side I would have to drive all the way to VNP to fill out a form to gather etc... Not to mention they tell you if you are going to make a hookupu that you are restricted from certain area...As a descendant from the area, I don't feel I have to #1 Pay a fee to enter out sacred grounds. Many times I am there for education and education is my religion. If I have to `ai, it is also part of my religion to eat. (anyone pray before they eat?) Hawaiians believed that "everything" was religious. So there are many flaws within the National Park System in general especially at Puuhonua O Honaunau and I claim the right to gather important resources from their if I want to, with no permit. because why? Gathering is my religion. So yes, they allow you in but with all these ridiculous Americanized conditions. It is all about control. If they are going to be sensitive culturally, they need to rethink their admittance fee or waiver for Hawaiians. I love telling Puuhonua "no" when they ask me to do anything for them cause they treat locals, hawaiians and the community terribly. I think you and I got into this before Ohu.

On the same note, it is the obligation of Hawaiian gatherers, hunters, practitioners to know "how" to gather, according to what is right and conservation practices within our own families-not according to National Park policy and for this reason, I do not agree with their land grabbing or giving up for development. So as far as honoring practitioners the 'bag' limit by the State and VNP (and VNP does have a bag limit or number of fraun limit and it is not an honor. So the policies leave alot to be desired.

but I think it is great to have fenced area (as long as it is not hindering gathering rights.) If practitioners are still allowed in the area as long as they close the gate etc.... I'm all for it. Still don't know if the pigs are helpful in anyway for dispersing Native seeds but I think if it was in the fecal matter, it would get trampled when young because don't the pigs stick to basically their same trails where the fecal matter would be left?
  • Ua hoihoi loa kau atikala e pili ana keia mea, mahalo nui. He mea hou keia nuhou noʻu. E like me kau i olelo ai aole keia o ka mea maalahi, he pilina hihia ko ka mea a pau, ea?
This reply was deleted.