Malama 'Aina

Care of land and sea. When Malama Aina is mentioned some people think immediately about restoration of Kahoolawe. Others might think about managing lo'i kalo. Some think about the arena of policy and legislation, others, the direct working of the lands, waters and seas. It is a broad and diverse topic, but at the core of it is the dedication of the kahu (caretakers) and how this reflects in what they know and learn, and what they do. In this, sharing of knowledge, approaches, and strategies through this group might expand the numbers of kanaka maoli who know about and take action to care for Hawai'i, the foundation of who we are. As you join this group, please take a moment to share with us what you do in the realm of Malama Aina. If I may start: I am Senior Scientist and Cultural Advisor for The Nature Conservancy of Hawaii I serve on the Board of Land and Natural Resources I volunteer in restoration work on Kahoolawe I serve on the board of The Ahahui Malama i ka Lokahi (Hawaiians for the Perpetuation of Native Ecosystems) I advise and support the Moanalua Gardens Foundation I am a trustee for the Native Hawaiian Culture and Arts Program (NHCAP) I teach at UH Manoa in Urban and Regional Planning, on Ahupuaa, Hawaiian Science, and Cultural aspects of conservation. But at the heart of all this, it is my dedication to knowing about and actively protecting the irreplaceable native natural resources that drives me to continually learn more about our native species and ecosystems, and our mutually supportive relationship, kanaka and wao; and to strive to strengthen that relationship so we all play a active part in caring for and in turn being provided for by our one hanau and kulaiwi. Aloha i ke kuahiwi, i ke kualono, 'Ohu

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Mahalo 'Ohu. You are a true "keiki o ka 'aina." I wish we had many more like you. You are indeed a wonderful example of what one individual can do to "steward" the 'aina.
  • Aloha kakou
    I am very excited about being on the site. My name is Sean Punahele Naleimaile. I recently graduated with my MA in anthropology with a focus on archaeology form UH-Manoa. I am currently developing a new program at Hawaii Community College here in Hilo called Kahu Ku`una: Cultural Resource Stewardship. It is a new track in the Hawaii Life Styles program here. I am attempting to instill a more culturally-enabled perspective into a field that has operated in a cultureless vacuum for so long. My goal is to foster kanaka and locals to pursue their educational goals in this direction with the hopes of creating more individuals to participate in the fields of anthropology, archaeology, and cultural resource management. I would like to here any comments on the subject. I have attached the flyer connected to my program here at HawCC. I would like to talk to you, Ohu at some point to come and talk to my class, maybe in Fall?

aloha

Kahu Kuuna Flyer.pdf

• Aloha kāua e Punahele:
      Besides this group, you no doubt would be interested in joining the Wahi Pana group. I am glad that you are also here, since i kaʻu ʻike, natural resources, including the living native plants and animals on the landscape are also vital cultural resources, and should be part of any good cultural assessment, and should be considered among the impacts and benefits. Too often the cultural assessment stops at land tenure, land use history, and archaeological and historical structures, perhaps pointing out the destruction of such structures over history, but spending very little time or effort on the changes to the living cultural landscape. Letʻs talk more about what I might talk to your students about. This is a new set of courses for you in the Kahu Kuʻuna program?
      ke aloha maikaʻi,
      ʻOhu
    • The whole program is new. It was developed to bring together two usually seperate perspective together. Under the guidance of Kekuhi and Tangaro, as well as other practitioners here at HawCC, I hope thi program will be the impetus for more such programs. I am currently teaching the first class this semester, I will hopefully be doing a summer class out in Ka`u, the the same intro class in Fall. One of the key perspectives that I hope to forge in these students is that when we approach "cultural resource management" we cannot separate that from the natural environment. That connection is key to understanding a Hawaii perspective. I hope we get a chance to talk soon.

aloha
      Punahele
    • E Punahele aloha hou mai kaua:
      E hoouna mai oe, e oluolu, i kahi leka uila i kuu keena hana ma TNC: sgon@tnc.org
      Makemake ho'i au e heluhelu i kau e pili ana o na mea nui o kou papa hou. Kokua nei au i ko Kekuhi hana na'auao me ka pahu hopu he kauka 'o ia, a i keia pule ke hiki mai la, huaka'i makou me Kekuhi i Athen Georgia no ka ahakukakuka Native American and Indigenous Studies ma laila.

E Punahele, aloha again:
      Send me please, an email to my office at TNC: sgon@tnc.org
      I want very much to read what you have to say about your new programʻs main topics. I am assisting Kekuhiʻs academic pursuits, toward getting her PhD, and this coming week we are headed to Athens Georgia for a Native American and Indigenous Studies conference there.

My presentation will be on indigenous knowledge systems revolving around the biological world, and Kekuhi's will deal (I think) with ethnoecology and primal religion. We will be part of a panel including Noe Arista (Hawaiian History) and Mehana Hind (no'eau hula) dealing with the topic Hawai'i 'Imi Loa (Hawaiians Searching Long), the continual quest for knowledge that marked one of the ancient values; one that needs to be more broadly rekindled in today's world.

Your program is exciting to me for that reason, and I look forward to working more with you!
  • Aloha

I have also been part of the Protect Kaho'olawe Ohana for over 10 years and have become involved with the things that happen on island. I am especially fond of Makahiki.

I am currently seeking my Doctorate of Architecture here at UH and have learned many lessons on the way. My goal is to do as much as I can to try to make the built environment serve the natural environment. This is pretty much an oxy moron considering what we see as the built environment today. But gotta try. I am happy to be a part of or observe the discussions here as it can only better inform me on what I should be considering in the grand scheme of things. Planning sustainable housing, communites, ahupua'a, etc. is the goal so the big picture is sought to see how the individual, important issues and be addressed, their effects evaluated per scenario and.....well lets check it out

Do you think a discussion per island group would be appropriate in this group. Perhaps problems and solutions on different islands can be compared to see if there is any correlation. I think this is great, fun and what we need as we begin taking back the control and decision making roles throughout our aina.

shooties

mahalo nui
    • I often think about the growing concrete invasion of O'ahu. When I was growing up in the Seventies, Kapolei didn't exist - there was only sugar cane fields - not that sugar cane fields were better than affordable housing. I remember when Waikiki didn't have as many hotels and you could see Diamond when you sat on the beach in front of the Royal Hawaiian - and even before there was the Royal Hawaiian Shopping center. *Sighs*

I know we need more affordable housing. More housing is being built, but there is a large percentage of the population that can't afford to buy or rent in these areas? What are we supposed to do with the lower-income families? Why isn't more done about it? The reason for my beginning this post with comments about housing is because it is linked to målama 'åina. We need our green spaces to rest the eyes, to play, to explore, to let the flora and fauna of Hawai'i live.

Building must be something that is necessary to our survival, like houses for those who have made their homes here for many generations. I am not saying that people don't have the right to come and live in Hawai'i. If that were true, then I wouldn't be here since my father was haole. What I am saying however, is that there is only so much space and so much resources to support a population, and I think O'ahu has reached it's limit. When O'ahu is almost completely covered by cement, what then? I know a lot of people think tourism is the only way to create jobs. Tourism and the military are the two largest sources of revenue for Hawai'i. And there was never an effort, or perhaps a desire to create other sources of revenue. However, tourism is a reality and whether I am for it or against it, here is a thought - Tourists come to Hawai'i because it is a paradise. When it becomes a concrete paradise will they still come? I think we have enough hotels, but we do need housing, but affordable housing for the people who already live here.

I was engaged to a Samoan man who lived in New Zealand. I couldn't live there unless I was married, or he could vouch for our engagement and was able to support me financially (He wasn't able to, he was ABD) , or if I could prove to the government that I was a worker in some field which had a dearth of help. They keep a cap on their population. I don't think tourism is the number one source of revenue for Aotearoa, however, tourists can stay up to two months. Why can't we have similar arrangement? I guess it would not be constitutionally correct, ea?

I am late for an appointment, and so will cut short this post. Any mana'o?
    • There is a movement going on, starting on Maui, and slowly getting to O'ahu (I believe) with hopes that it will arrive on Hawai'i island - for "native-built" construction, native materials.

Actually it may be more than a movement as I believe that Maui has modified its building code to enable the process - has a program to train practitioners (who must take and pass a course to be qualified).

As for tourism - Shall we modify the way it operates?

I am involved in a program to indeed do this - the development of a community-based visitor program. It's basic thing is to have those interested in being a "good" tourist (a visitor) make contact with a community, with exchanges of personal and other information to see if there is or could be - a good match.

If the community feels that there is a good match, it can then "invite" the guest to come and participate in its community and with its activities. Basically speaking, the visitor comes and must comply with the policies, rules, active involvement with the community and its members, becoming a "temporary" member of the community and, hopefully, a "long-term" hanai - with the possible establishment of permanent interpersonal relationships - like family.

The visitor is encouraged - and just about - expected to take part in all (or at least many) of the community's activities - including working at producing and making food, taking part in cultural happenings, etc.

In this way - the "tourist" is benefited and so is the community. The "tourist" goes away (but always welcome to return) with a very enriched experience - and the community also - with the exchange of added resources (money) to keep itself and its members prospering.

This is not the final form that this "visitor" program may take - as it is currently being planned, developed, etc. However, I (and others with like minds) believe that it could revolutionize the "tourist" area and provide very special experiences, the kind that many come here for, but rarely find.
    • When you think about it, this model is very much the way that many schools and hālau are introduced to a new kanaka community, a period of preparation on proper protocols and behaviors, some teaching about the history of the place, some biography on the key points of contact for the place, a bit of relationship building perhaps with one or more of those key members of the community in their school before they visit the community, a starting project that is an introduction to the kinds of activities available in the community (first loʻi visit, for example) and then, on subsequent visits, more and more challenging and sophisticated exposure to the community, until the hānai phase, as you put it.
      As for the kauhale building codes, there is nothing quite like walking into a traditional complex of that kind to clear your mind of modern opala and bring your feet back in contact with the lepo hoʻoulu ʻai. One could only wish for adjusted clothing codes in a neighborhood of that kind! Wahi a ka papa hōʻike: Malo/paʻū only beyond this point. :D
    • Yes, I totally agree.

I am to the mana'o that causes the redevelopment of some of our decaying housing areas. I too would like to see a rule on how one can own property in Hawai'i like they have in other countries.

My doctoral thesis will try to pay attention to the issue of affordable housing, as it is now most of the success stories with affordable housing in other places involve beefing up the density. I believe this can be done, but there is much to consider. I too remember a time when Napili, Maui was the country and the sugar cane fields covered the bulk of West Maui. I really dislike what I am seeing and Kona.... So yes this is a huge problem, we have to get someone in the right place to say nough already and the only construction can be a re development of an existing built environment, in fact, some places that are built should be dusted so that the environment that belongs there can be put back etc.

We have a long road ahead of us to get to these goals so strap on your safety gear and lets keep blazing that trail that so many have started.

Imua Na Kanaka Maoli.........get empowered, get educated, do it pono...just charge.
This reply was deleted.