Kaiaulu & Kala

Aloha kakou, The intention of this thread is to share any info about grants, stipends, programs, community resources, etc related to na mea wahine & na mea hanau. I was encouraged (mahalo e lorilani & kaliko;) to start this thread after posting on the "Homebirth Resources" thread about a federal grant competition now accepting proposals by organizations that are "existing urban or rural community based organizations already providing indigenous community outreach [doula]services." Its called "The Community Based Doula Program" and the link is: http://www.grants.gov/search/search.do?&mode=VIEW&flag2006=true&oppId=17802 Please use this thread to share about any resources/programs you have come across and/or your experiences with different orgs, grant writing, etc.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Aloha kakou,

Thought this might be helpful to those who may be interested or know other wahine who might be interested in pursuing an education in a health profession. It's a scholarship for Native Hawaiians which pays for full tuition and you can go to the school of your choice nationwide as long as it is accredited. There is a 2 year minimum obligation of community service to fulfill after graduating where you would be providing service to rural and under-served areas of the Native Hawaiian community. I called to inquire about it personally because I live in Florida and so was unsure if that meant I could apply. The woman I spoke to said that there has been only one person who has used the scholarship toward becoming a midwife. Please let others know. Mahalo nui loa.

To find out more about it:
    http://www.raconline.org/funding/funding_details.php?funding_id=680

or call: 808-585-8944

Mahalo nui loa,
    ~*Kamea*~
  • Hui!
    Pehea kakou?
    I saw this grant ("Health Tomorrows Partnership for Children Program") come up and thought I'd pass it along:

http://www.grants.gov/search/search.do?&mode=VIEW&flag2006=...

Also the Women's Fund of Hawai'i has an RFP out for their grants:
    http://womensfundhawaii.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=v...

Hope everyone is maika'i (and congratulations Cami & 'ohana!!!).

Kahi
  • Whew!!! We got the Pauahi Keiki Scholars kokua!!! This is HUGE for us - like the difference between $950 a MONTH and $18!!! The boys start next monday (the 28th) at Punana Leo o Honolulu and I feel like my life is changing all over again. My baby girl will be one on Tuesday and I am going back to work once the boys start school. After 4 YEARS straight of being pregnant and nursing, I feel almost at a loss and kinda insecure about transitioning my babies over to other`s care. Wow these are emotional days...
    • Yay! Congrats on the PKS scholarship Malia!!!! I've decided to stay home with my kaikamahine and Im having another one in November...I weaned her just when i found out so Ill soon maopopo what its like to be pregnant or breastfeeding for years straight...we should hui pu sometime! Malama pono!
      Cami
      ps mai hopohopo...theyll be in good hands at Punana Leo o Honolulu! ke aloha
  • Mahalo Kahi, I did apply to that one but since I haven`t registered at the Ho`oulu Data Center yet... I don`t know that we`ll get it. I called Alu Like but their registration is closed. Anyways, one of their criteria is that the keiki must be fully immunized. (?!) We haven`t done the boys yet so that`s out too.
    • Aloha e na hoaaloha,

I am so glad to see that Kahi has started this strand. Ok, so about the immunizations, GIRL...you get in there with a "Immunization Waiver"....pick one up at the State Department of Health or I will look it up and post the website, or throw your mailing address up here, and I will mail you one.

No one can deny your right to send your child to any programs because you did not choose to vaccinate your child. Sometimes, sticking to your guns the first time is difficult, BUT it does get easier. I do baby well-checks with my boys once a year, and I guess on Kauai the MD's here must be getting used to hearing parents refuse the shots that they don't fuss anymore. However, when Piilani was ready school-ready and our baby well checks needed to be done WOW....talk about resistence. Ove the last 9 years, they've mellowed and grabbed a clue.

Do your research, look up vaccinatation links and the Autisim research that is linked to that. Your child is the one at risk for a dis-ease...Disease IF there is a situation. NOT the other children because, god-forbid....weren't the other keiki vaccinated. So, what is the threat???? Probably that YOU, the fabulous-beautiful-educated MOMMY might have your own brain, and know how to use it. Damn, now that is scary for the medical field, SMART MOMMY's.....we should make bumper stickers.

If you are threatened in any way to NOT use the waiver, I would really like to know. Claiming "religious excemption" is the easiest way to claim a vaccination waiver. As my "Religion" I write...."Kingdom of Hawaii" (even though I don't belong) however, it is my belief that in the Kingdom (which I have never needed to justify) I would not practice any vaccinations or experiemental drug or procedures on myself or my children. Pau. "They "don't need to know anything else.

I did have a situation at WIC during the early phase of my pregnancy, where they gave me some attitude about the vaccination issue. However, (not speaking to my face) the supervisor in passing me while I sat at the intake desk said, " We are a Federal agency that is mandated by law to encourage vaccinations (in code....this means that they get $$$$) for all of our participants." So, I said, " That is great, I am sure that you get great numbers of participants, but if you force me to do this, I will not and I will need to drop the program". I didn't tell her that I'd make sure everyone in the FREE WORLD knew about this too. Needless to say, I am 25 weeks now, and still gratefully on WIC and yes....they let me use the waiver, AND even had it in their files. So, they "test" people first before they kokua.

E kala mai, I know that this strand was for funding but, I couldn't stop myself:-) love u all, Lorilani
    • Me too! The immunization thing! That prevented me from applying to Alu Like too... I heard that you can claim "religious" something for the tuition assistance. BUt I know FOR SURE that when the boys start at Punana Leo, just tell them that you are claiming religious exemption for the immunizations and I think you have to fill out a form. I already asked....

Our daughter has had maybe two immunizations, only because our midwife recommended to get the one for whooping cough and another time I felt under pressure at the doctor's office. Needless to say, Daddy was pissed when I got home and found out that I had let them give it to her. It's so stressful by yourself at the doctor's office! Even though my na'au is telling me one thing, I didn't listen! Auwe!
    • There are other assistance options too, let me ask my kahu again. I'll post it when I know, which site will they be attending? ALoha! Cami
  • I`n not sure if this is related, but if anyone can help, I need to secure some financial aid for my twins to go to Punana Leo o Honolulu this July. We just got our letters a few days ago and I am STRESSING out because tuition will be about $1000 a month!!! Aaagh - can`t afford to go but can`t afford NOT to go, know what I mean?
    • Malia,
      Not sure if you saw this one already, but KS offers tuition for students NOT attending one of their preschools through their Pauahi Keiki Scholars program. The have an application deadline of April 30th, BUT they also have extended deadlines of July 31st, October 31st, and December 31st (I know, I don't get it either). I think you can still get 100% tuition coverage if you meet the first of the second deadlines (07/31). The link to the site with info and the app is:
      http://www.ksbe.edu/finaid/prek-12.php

Good luck, and i'll let you know if I hear of anything else.....
This reply was deleted.