The Business of Being Born

In case you haven't heard about it, here's a link to the film "The Business of Being Born": http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/ In March we screened it on O'ahu and got a great turnout....Lots of people there to learn about and support mom-empowered births. Midwives, nurses, and doulas sat on the panel discussion afterwards and our halau danced, babes on backs. I actually haven't gotten to see the whole movie, but am stoked to see how much awareness the film has raised. There were quite a few hapai women there, some of whom were deciding on what to do and where to go for their births. I think the film really helped them in thinking about what they want. I'm hoping that more people from the medical community will see it and get informed about what options are out there (or which ones are needed). So...who's seen it? What did you think? Lorilani, do you think you'll host a screening on Kaua'i? [The film is available on Netflix and (I think) if you have a pc, you can stream it for instant viewing. They might even give free trials.]

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• sorry that i am replying to this sooo late. i actually ordered it a few months ago. my midwife advised me not to watch it,so on her advice...i haven't. to tell you the truth,my birth circle was so full of love, support, and the greatest intentions for a safe and wonderful birth i forgot about the movie.

of course, since i did buy it...i wanted to, and intended to watch it...i'm going to look for it this am and will tie myself to a chair so i can see it.

does anyone know maile beamer? not her last name now.

aloha...lorilani
  • love it Kaliko! We finally netflixed it and it was awesome! It even convinced some friends of ours to go with Dr. Lori. stoked!

aloha!
  • I've been wanting to see this as I'm interested in this path, but I'll have to order it. Seems none of the stores around me have any copies. I guess that means it's a hit. :)
This reply was deleted.