VBAC

Aloha mai kakou....I am suffering from insomnia this beautiful Tuesday morning, and I'm writing to request if anyone knows of anyone who has had a VBAC - homebirth. I am currently in my 22 week of pregnancy and planning to have a VBAC assisted of course by my midwife. I've gotten info on-line and through the Cascade-homebirth resource brochures but, I wanted to talk to someone who has had a personal experience. OF COURSE VBAC's are not done on the island of Kauai, and my doctor promptly told me that I could go to Kapiolani to have my baby if I wanted a VBAC. I said, "Let me think about that....No Thanks".

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't know anyone personally, but I've heard lots of stories, so I know these mamas are around. My mentor-midwife is taking care of her granddaughter in America right now, but I'm sure she would know people, so if I get the chance to ask her for some names, I will!

Meanwhile, I know you've done internet research -- have you seen this page? : http://www.homebirth.org.uk/vbac1.htm

It's a simple page of British women's stories of homebirths after Cesaerian. They're well-organized, personal, and broad in spectrum. The main page is a list with a brief summary of each story, and you can then click on the link to read each story. If you haven't seen them already, I think they will help to inspire confidence. Some are really amazing!

You are clearly strong and focused. You will be fine! I have to say from related experience that the most important factor you can control is to be sure that you have a team who believes in you 100%. If there is anyone who is less than fully certain that what you are doing is right and will work out fine, they should not attend. I'm sure you know this already but I just thought I'd say it anyway because it is so important. One of the most amazing things about home births in particular is how much everybody's mana becomes part of the whole process!

One way or another, this birth and this baby are going to be truly blessed. The amount of love and mana'o you have put into this gestation are obvious -- the kind of love that shines upon others too as it radiates from your 'ohana and the love and care you put there. This whole forum is a beautiful example of that. I believe that this kind of love and consciousness are a manifestation of the spirit of your baby, already coming into being in the world in the form of a "hello" to all the wahine here!

Btw, my phone number is 256-6637 (it's not exactly a secret number, so this goes for everybody here); if you need an answer to something fast for some reason, I can call up the mama/doula/midwife network and find it pretty quickly, I think. Same for moral support, or just to talk story! Sometimes my life is, um, nuts (I'm sure everyone can relate) but I'm pretty good at finding the time when needed, and if I can't talk then, I will usually call back pretty quick. 3 a.m. is ok too if needed -- I'm part pueo...

Aloha, Laulani
    • E Laulani,

Mahalo for replying to my kahea. I have been on the site that you've reccommended and I do enjoy the diversity of the stories there.

Also, mahalo nui for your words of wisdom and support. I actually don't have it together as much as it seems. I just recently left a job (didn't want to deal w/the un-needed stress) and my feelings about my midwife has been waning. i love her except that sometimes she has so much baggage...or bringing up my old baggage, I cannot deal with that either.

If I could, I would love a group of women to do exactly what you said. Support me and my baby and kako'o this birth with nothing but the most high degree of love and aloha. I'm having thoughts of doing this myself w/my husband and probably 1 or 2 others.

lkt
      I am playing this by ear and trying to listen to Akua as well as look for ho'ailona.
    • Yeah, I know how that is...seems like my life went utterly nuts & out of control right at the wrong time in both my pregnancies too. I mean BAD, and they were 10 years apart, so there was enough time to build up to a big whammy! During the last one, I was homeless and it rained CONSTANTLY...you know, I love the ua passionately, but trying to haul all the ukanas we owned in the driving rain for months with an umbilical hernia (that I got from overworking, trying to scrape money together) was not much fun. Sometimes I still think my daughter's bossy, sometimes very cranky personality was developed during that time of practically constant frustration. But boy is she tough!!

And then, worse yet, I could not for the life of me find a good place to give birth. Like, we were still trying to figure it out during labor!!

Luckily, I had some beautiful souls with me...not necessarily experienced or in all cases good at, um, following directions (small kine grrr here...), but beautiful mana that made the experience wonderful to look back on nonetheless. And we were blessed.

You will be too, and this will be a beautiful thing. No worry. Akua just likes comedy. AND drama!

Aloha, L.
    • Laulani,

I wanted to ask...was the Kamakahukilani that attended your first birth, Aunty Kamaka VOn Olhoffen?

lkt
    • Yep, that was her.
      Da "walking, talking education" herself.
      Check out this website I'm making for her & tell me what you think!
      http://www.freewebs.com/maoliheroes/Kamaka.htm
      Aloha,
      Laulani
    • Back in the day....80's, Aunty tried her damdest to educate her niece (known as Inga to her family Shawn to the rest) and me with the cultural movvement and importance of the Hawaiian movement. Inga and I were sooo not into that educational oppurtunity.

Aunty Cookie, Inga's mom (Aunty Kamaka's sister) was actually instrumental in educating me...later in life, while living in Hilo. She brought me back into their circle while "kupuna-sitting" Mililani Trask's mom. I was honored to share this kuleana with them as both Aunties needed a break during the month to do their "work" on Maui and O'ahu.

After both Aunties left us, and now live in the Spirit I often think of them and the time we lost. Especially when I see my sister, Inga and how diligently she still works in the Travel world....so, seperated from the on-going affairs of Hawaii. She is also a nurturer (like Aunty Kamaka) and still cares for your brothers and sisters (grown adults with children).

I love this 'ohana and spent many years as part of their lives in Waianae, Kahalui, Kalihi Valley and Hilo.....mahalo for your tribute to Aunty Kamaka. I will share this with Inga when she comes to visit Kauai.

aloha,lorilani
    • Wow, yeah, tell Inga I said hi! I got to connect with her a little bit when we did ceremony for her mom at Ku'iliolono Heiau. It was a sad event at which to meet their 'ohana, but really beautiful, and it was good to be with them there nonetheless. Auntie Kuki was very dear to me too. She and I guarded the lele we built for Kamaka on Moloka'i all night at the memorial vigil we did for her there. I really cherish that time in particular, especially because she herself left so quickly after that, and we had never had much one-on-one time before...you know how Kamaka had a way of both "shining the light" and being right in the center of it! Auntie Kuki also came to Noa's birth -- she was one of what Kamaka called "the three wise women" (along with Auntie Sweets Matthews & Auntie Toni Yardley) who arrived there just as the pu was being blown (note: that is, when he finally breathed after 9 minutes -- and I'm still having struggles with his indecision today, darn kid!). I have a lot of aloha for their whole 'ohana. They are very special people! I still see Auntie Olani once in a great while -- in fact, I gotta go see her soon to share the website stuff -- I told her I was putting it together but I'm a little behind in the protocol of actually going to see her.
      It's always awesome to connect with other people who know these guys. I love them so much, and really miss them! Mahalo!
  • Congratulations! (Didn`t realize you were pregnant!) I just wanted to add that a friend of mine had a vba2c despite strong opposition from everyone around her. Luckily she found a midwife (Dr. Lori Kimata) who was willing to help her. It can be done!

Have you checked out the ICAN website? Here`s a quote:

"The point is simple. Only you have the right to choose whether or not to use your vagina. Vaginal birth is not a dirty word nor a procedure. Vaginal birth is the normal biological consequence of pregnancy, whether or not the mother has a prior cesarean. You deserve complete information about the risks of vaginal birth and elective cesarean so that you can make the healthiest choice possible for you and your baby. We’re not here to make your choices for you. We’re here to make sure that you understand that you HAVE the choice. After all, it’s still your body, your baby, your vagina and your uterus involved. Who else is better qualified to weigh the research and evidence and determine it’s importance in your life?"

Eo.
  • I have never walked in your shoes, Lorilani, but I solemnly believe that if *you* believe you can do it, then you can!

Cheering you on…
    na Luahiwa
    • Eo to that mana'o. Na na 'aumakua e 'alaka'i ia 'oe!
This reply was deleted.