So, I was hoping that we could try to share how we as science type Hawaiians have been or will be applying this skill set to our pae 'aina. This would be a great venue to share what projects we are working on or have worked on. I hope that this might assist networking between all of us, maybe create some ideas for masters and Phd work for those who are heading there, and otherwise a good topic to see what is happening and how we can help each other. Malalma..............no shame write now

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Aloha kakou. I'm interested in pursuing an education in marine biology and aquarium science and was hoping to be able to move back home someday (was raised away from the 'aina) to help ensure the protection and health of the marine ecosystem. I look forward to sharing my experiences and projects with you as well as hearing about each of yours.

At the present time I am putting in an application to volunteer at the Marine Science Center in Ponce Inlet, FL to help with animal care and aquarium maintenance. I have no experience with aquariums, especially salt water aquariums, and absolutely no experience with injured wild animals. They help rehabilitate sea turtles and sea birds. Every year they rehab wash back hatchlings return to the ocean. The season for wash backs started this month and ends November 31st. Last year was the most they ever had - over 5,000! I know I will definitely learn a lot there.

As I embark on this new journey I know that it will be one that leads me back home. Learning more about my culture has been like a guiding light. It has taken me a long time to reach this point and I hope I don't lose my way again. Mahalo nui loa.

~*Kamea*~
This reply was deleted.