Ahupua'a Management Issues

Aloha gang Please feel free to drop any topics that move you. This is one we are all probably thinking and or working on. Lets see what people's mana'o is.... Lets first start with the basic rules of thumb.... any thoughts?

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• To me, probably the most pivotal issue is a change in the way we think about power. The power to make decisions should lie solidly with those who work the land and are part of it, not some external source. Creative ways of ensuring this and of sharing scientific knowledge without creating an artificial hierarchy are very much needed.
    • I agree with what you are saying. The ones who know best about a place are normally the ones who eat, live and breathe the place. I am to the belief that experience(s) or the learning by doing is very effective. So if those who have experiences elsewhere can help to provide some options or examples of what might or might not have worked elsewhere can help to give insight to things from a different angle.

Regarding hierarchy, I like that this was exposed. I too believe that lateral "round table" discussion. This process is often lengthy and requires the individuals to give and take mana'o on a intellectual level and not personal. I believe if we are to have a Pono Hawai'i it is going to take us to operate this way, Science that is working with the cultural and spiritual Hawaiian practices has the potential of being ground breaking and I really believe that this lateral discussion thing is important and can be an important factor in the way that problems and solutions can be addressed and solved by many people for the right reason(s) for the particular place. These things should also be common knowledge that can be accessed by others to help to set precedents.

In my mind there are Masters and Doctorate projects being worked on by those who are on the land and part of it whether they have ever seen the inside of the classroom or not and the best fit solution(s) or suggestion(s) should include the experts, the scholars, the scientists and especially the kanaka who are walking the walk.

Aloha
This reply was deleted.