Hoolauna?

Hey everyone...well, I guess it's actually just me right now, but I thought maybe if anyone else joins the group they could introduce themselves and say what their research interests are, that way it might be easier to help people find what they're looking for and we can all get to know each other. I guess I'll start... :) Aloha, my name is Kamaoli Kuwada. I've researched in the newspapers, at various times: the troublesome transition from Hawaiian to English, Kaluaikoolau, fairy tales translated into Hawaiian, fishing, a little bit about nets, a little about Joseph Poepoe, and some other stuff I can't think of right now. Anyway, if anyone is interested in any of those things, I'd be happy to share. me ke aloha, kamaoli

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Aloha kakou. 'O Kameananiokalani Walker ko'u inoa. My interests are genealogy, la'au lapa'au, 'olelo, art, sailing, fishing, gathering, nature, mo'olelo, and learning how things went down especially from the perspective of 19th century Kanaka Maoli since it is the other side of the coin that I have finally discovered exists. I'm also interested in your mana'o since I rarely get to discuss anything related to Hawai'i with anyone. I want to go back home to go to school - although I'm not really sure how to achieve that just yet - and to kokua anywhere I can. I want to study everything but my heart is with 'olelo, la'au lapa'au, fishing, and sailing. I hope to get to know all of you. Mahalo.

Me ke aloha pumehana,
    ~*Kamea*~
    • Aloha,

We all need a break and extra blessings. I'm just joining and finding the Hawaiian newspaper a source to conduct genealogy. Noelani Arista had mentioned about it and happy to inform you that is an added benefit for Hawaiians to do their family research too! It's has been some time speaking 'Olelo Hawaii since 1997. I'm slowly refreshing my skills one day at a time. I've translated some articles using the Hawaiian dictionary. It slow, but achievable. Patience is a virtue!
  • Aloha Kakou,

My name is Kealani Cook. I'm going into my first project using the Hawaiian-language papers this summer. My dissertation is going to be on relationships between Hawaiians and other islanders in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. I'm starting with Kalakaua's efforts to create a confederacy with Samoa and Tonga, but I'm not sure what else I'll be covering. Most likely the Hawaiian missionaries will be included, but I'm at such an early stage I can't be sure.

Aloha,

Kea
    • Aloha e Kea e,
      That sounds like a neat topic. I always thought the whole thing with Kaimiloa was pretty cool. What discipline are you in? There's an interesting series of articles by John Tamatoa Baker (the person mentioned in one of the other posts in this group) that talks about his travels throughout Polynesia and maybe some other places, but I can't remember. Some of the letters from various Hawaiian missionaries are microfilmed as well I think. A lot of them are boring, like "we just received a bucket of nails today" kind of stuff, but some of it is a little more engrossing. Not sure if you've already checked these sources, but might be some interesting stuff there. Anyway, good luck:)

me ke aloha,
      kamaoli
    • Eo e Kamaoli, auhea 'oe?
      Noe
    • Ma o...ma anei... Aole i loaa ia oe ka'u wahi comment ma kau aoao?
    • Akahi no au a 'ike, a ua waiho au i ka pane pu....uhm, minamina au i kou hele 'ole i ka la 'apopo.
      Noe
  • Aloha Keala,
    I'm wondering what kind of secondary source materials you are reading in your approach to theorizing race? It seems to be that there is a lot of scholarship out there--in other words, a huge discussion about race as a social construction and yet your approach seems to suggest that you are thinking about the term 'hapa haole' as an "ours" or "their" possession or imposition. Are you reading only sociological theory or is yours an interdisciplinary branching out that might include works from history, anthropology and cultural studies?

My name is Noelani Arista and I am a PhD candidate in history at Brandeis University and I'm currently an Acting Assistant Professor in History at UH Manoa (writing my dissertation as well.) I'm thinking we should start a hui on here for PhD candidates/ dissertaters---would you be interested in joining?

I'm pleased to make your acquaintance here i ke ao maoli, and am very interested in your work.

Aloha,
    Noe
    • Hey Keala,

Another interesting, although maybe not as related, entry point into looking at how race was understood in the kingdom is examining the use of the word "lahui" throughout the Hawaiian-language newspapers. I think it shows that Hawaiians had a different understanding of "race" during that time period.

In the newspaper, "lahui" seems to be used to refer more to the idea of "nation" rather than "race' until control of Hawaii shifts away from Hawaiians. With the influx of Americans and the hopes of Hawaiians to quickly recover the kingdom, you can clearly see the shift in usage from "nation" to "race." Interestingly, the Andrews dictionary definition of "lahui" doesn't include "race" as a definition, yet the Pukui-Elbert dictionary does. These things don't directly tie in to the idea of hapahaole, but it can be used to map the trajectory of Hawaiian understandings of race.

I did some preliminary research in this area, especially as to how "lahui" was used in the coverage of Kaluaikoolau, then the subsequent publication of Kelekona's account of Koolau, and its republication around the time of the Massie trial, and so if these references could somehow be useful, let me know.

me ke aloha,
      kamaoli
    • As the historian in training I would also suggest that you consider a specific time frame for what both you and Kamaoli are interested in focusing on. I think Kamaoli is definitely on to something when he suggests that you look in to the multiple meanings of the word lahui. Again, while I agree that there are shifts in usage and understanding I also think that there is much to be said about ambiguity----that in Hawaiian, words, have multiple meanings and that multipleness should not be ignored or simply replaced bya hard "black/white" distinction or in our case, "Hawaiian/Hapahaole" "race/native" divide.

So much has been suggested by lahui (I mean Hawaiian writers of nation) writers in the past few decades about the influence of Americans and their influx into the islands---but when exactly was this and how long a time span are we talking about? How will we as writers and researchers quantitatively and qualitatively support our argument about "American influence, colonialism or imperialism?" How will we define the term "influence or "control?"

Your quote also comes from 1895, is that when the term is heavily used? What's the usage history of the phrase---this is so interesting! I'm thinking of the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) which allows you to look up a word and see a chronology of its usage and "development" over time.

Finally, I find it striking that the phrase hapahaole as you suggest is being claimed and/or applied to high ranking ali'i. What does this suggest to us about the construction of authority and governance? Do these men also serve in government capacities? In other words was it better to be thought of as part haole in order to serve in governmental capacity? I ask this question because I am dealing with similar issues in my dissertation on 1820-1830 and the role of the foreign and Hawaiian advisers in relation to the ali'i. In 1840s the issue of foreigners serving in government is well known, but what has not been written about is this idea of whether or not "race" has any part to play in influencing who worked in government service.

While you are thinking about the phrase hapa haole in terms of race, I wonder how you will discuss the evolution or rise of the phrase in contradistinction to a competing discourse namely that of kanaka maoli. Or in other words where/when does race compete with or displace a discourse of indigeneity/nativeness?
      me ke aloha,
      Noe
This reply was deleted.