Ua ao ʻo Puna - He Mele Mahalo

Ua ao `o Puna paia `ala i ka hala Mālamalama `ia o Ke ahi a Laka Kūka`ohia`aalaka i ka uluwehiwehi He wehi hiwahiwa ka pi`olualani Ka ulu lama kū i ka moani lehua `A`ahu `o Kapa`ahu i ka uahi a Pele `Olu`olu Pu`ulena halihali `ala Laua`e Hāli`a aloha iā Puala`a e He mele kēia i haku ʻia e Kalikolehua Goo, Palala Harada a me Ryan McCormack e mahalo aku ai nā pua o Puala`a i ke kipa `ana mai o Hālau Wānana i ka mahina o Malaki, 2008. Aloha palena`ole iā Leila, Gary, Leina`ala, Kaila, Kaimana, Kopia, Josh, Tyler, Keisha, and Uncle Keiki mā. Line 1. Dawn has broken at Puna, fragrant with its famed hala groves, the hala that is woven skillfully by the kama`āina. Line 2. Keahialaka is illuminated, enlightened by the wisdom of the kūpuna and the guidance of its kumu. Line 3. Kūka`ohi`a-a-Laka, the embodiment of forrest akua, resides in the lush growth, as we are reminded of the presence of our akua at sight of the `ohi`alehua. Line 4. The double rainbow, revealed at dawn, is a heavenly adornment, a hō`ailona of auspicious events. Line 5. The groves of lama stand in the moani lehua rain, like a torch that remains lit through storms or hardship. Line 6. Kapa`ahu is cloaked in the smoke of Pele as she moves across the landscape creating new `āina. So too are the kanaka of today moving forward with new ideas rooted deeply in a core of traditional knowledge. Line 7. Pleasant is the Pu`ulena wind that carries the fragrance of the laua`e like a fond recollection. Line 8. We shall always remember Puala`a with affection.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –