Pehea lā e pono ai?

aloha e nā hoa, I'm wondering whether it is worth exploring what we all really think is pono for Hawaiʻi (Hawaiʻi I define as ʻāina + Kanaka Hawaiʻi + ke ao akua + nā ʻaumākua a me nā kūpuna o ka pō). Last week a Russian brought up returning Hawaiʻi to the list of non-self-governing territories at the UN. This happened at a meeting of the committee to end racism. This got me thinking about brainstorming once again with you smart people about our position in the world and our kūlana ma Hawaiʻi nei. It seems to me that many of our problems aren't likely to be addressed by just independence. We are currently being priced out of homes; the big box stores are destroying the small businesses that make up the middle class; etc., etc. Wouldn't it be great to have a place to live where real estate speculation was illegal and rent control was the norm? Or where a more communal economic system was supported by the government? Is this even worth talking about? ke aloha, noenoe

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Pauahi,

Responsibility and loyalty are very key words. We don't need any who want to sit on the fence - enjoying all the amenities, but refusing to contribute to all the things that make Hawai'i a very special place.

On the other hand, it is the spiritual contribution and an endearing love of the 'aina that go a long way to make this place special.

ku
  • It was not necessary that a subject of the Hawaiian Kingdom be Hawaiian by blood.

"Hawaiian" was a politically defined, not blood defined. "Hawaiian" really was a "nationality."

It is only since the u.s. has been meddling in our affairs, since the Hawaiian Homes Act for instance, that "Hawaiian" became a racial and/or blood definition.

I would argue that the term "Hawaiian" nowadays really means an "American-Hawaiian."

I am not an "American-Hawaiian." I am "Hawaiian," however, politically and, if needs be, blood defined.

However, "they" made things more complicated by splitting Hawaiians into "n"ative Hawaiian (Hawaiians of more than 50% of the blood) and "N"ative Hawaiian (blood Hawaiians including less than half of the blood).

So, if I were to propose something for our re-organized Hawaiian nation, I would stick with subjects or citizens who paid allegiance to the Hawaiian Kingdom - and only to the Kingdom. No dual citizens or subjects for me. No denizens either.
  • The first step to regaining the independence of the Kingdom is for us to become self-sufficient in the individual, the family, the ohana, the community, the island, the entire Ko Pae 'Aina O Hawai'i. This includes food and energy self-sufficiency.

In my attempt towards this ideal - I have a surplus of oranges and avocado - for instance, and am on my way to be likewise in sheep. This means that I don't have to buy these things on the market, and especially so, in the supermarket. On the other hand, I'm in position to share the stuff with my family, my ohana, my community and so forth. I can sell the stuff, barter the stuff or just give it away to those I like or who have needs.

However, a communal economic system can be very beneficial. But it has to be done by us - voluntarily and with aloha. While government can advocate and support such efforts - I don't think that direct governmental involvement in such efforts will work. It seems to me that everything that government gets directly involved in - screws up - sooner or later.

But, good questions Noenoe.

As for real estate and rent control - communities can do lots for individuals and families - if we can behave as ohana and as communities and not strictly as individuals.

While not the only example of such a project. The "community" [made up of the persons of Isaac Harp, David Ingham (of San Francisco) and myself (as the instigating committee) and others] helped Uncle Soli Niheu build a marae - the first, if not the only, such place - in Waimea, Hawai'i island. Soli needed a house - but ended up with a house/marae. "Free Hawaii" just did a video program of the project (that I haven't seen yet and probably won't until it posts it on their site for internet viewing).

What may be most important, though, is the availability of land on which to put our houses. The old system of obtaining land for lo'i, residences, etc., depending on one's needs, by or through the konohiki seemed to have worked pretty well. This was especially effective, I think, if the population stayed fairly constant. And when the need ended, the lands could be returned to the konohiki - to be re-distributed to later needing individuals, families, etc.

Some parts of the so-called "ceded" lands - I'm sure - could probably be used for a source of supply for such uses, but such programs must be fairly regulated and maintained.

The present movement towards "native building practices with native materials," I'm sure, will help, can help, I'm sure.

As another possibility - Why can't neighbors (or ohana, or community, or whatever human level of community) set up resources that with proper involvement, care and maintenance - be used by all, and fairly. This can answer such a question as: Why should every person have his own lawn mower? Or car? Or boat? Or whatever?

Let's go.

ku
    • Aloha kakou,
      I feel like Noenoe gives us the big picture of pono: "(Hawaiʻi I define as ʻāina + Kanaka Hawaiʻi + ke ao akua + nā ʻaumākua a me nā kūpuna o ka pō)."

Then people have all offered various issues such as food, land use, decent wages, cooperative efforts and alternative economies, sustainability, etc. which all have to come into play. Not to mention health, energy sources, legal issues, education, and so on.

And there's the issue of undoing that which is a'ole pono: big box stores, rampant development and encroachment, GMO, tourism economy, colonization/occupation, pollution of air, land and water, depleted uranium and left over ordnance, mainland "ownership" driving up property values and putting people out of their homes, and so on.

It's huge!

I know lots of local things are going on, there in Hawai'i and elsewhere. I wonder, is there a clearing house of some kind -- something on the internet for example -- where there are lists of various local, alternative efforts and people are sharing how they did it with others? And if not, maybe just tracking down various sites that offer different ideas pertaining to various issues.

Maybe we could make a kind of investigation of all these different kinds of ideas -- some might be appropriate and some might not -- but we determine that by applying the concept of pono (as Noenoe described it) to each alternative idea. And also critique these things in light of Hawaiian values. (Sort of like the Amish aren't against all technology per se, they just apply a different kind of criteria to each new technology, based on their strong value for people in community working together. Any kind of technology that pulls people apart is not considered useful, even if it's labor-saving.)

And then (oh dear, I'm getting really convoluted now... bear with me!), we then look at these various things as how suitable they might be for various communities and geographies in the islands. Kind of like a modern ahupua'a. I guess I'm saying solutions won't be one size fits all, they'll be really individual -- based on local resources, people, feelings, and what is appropriate on a spiritual level for each place.

So if we're looking at the housing issue, we look at:
      Co-housing sites, green building sites, sustainable building sites, squatting, alternative "financial" models, and so on.

How might co-housing work, for example, in one place and not another? What kinds of co-housing are there? Which kinds could be adapted to work better in more places? What would make a kind of co-housing consistent with the big picture of pono, and with Hawaiian values? And so on.

If we look at food, we look at:
      Community gardens, the farmer's markets that Noenoe mentions, home gardens, co-op groceries, food banks, "gleaners" who gather from one place that is over-blessed with produce and then distribute it, permaculture, distribution for people in need, etc., seed banks for biodiversity and sharing plants (just to name a few ideas).

Forms of community organizing and sharing of resources,
      Like here in Berkeley, we have a tool lending library, right next to the public library (Ku was saying "why should every person have his own lawn mower..."). There are also "car lending" companies like Zipcars, bicycle coops, computer give aways, FreeCycle on the internet, etc.

And you know how there's that whole Carbon Offset thing -- like making up for your "footprint" by buying Carbon Offset shares? Well, maybe the big businesses in Hawai'i that are doing so much harm need to be fined for their damage and then that money used to help undo the damage. (That may already be going on in some cases. I don't know.)

Anyway, if we all took a little piece of this giant thing and then did a little research and brought it back to the others, would that be useful? It's just an idea! Like our own little clearing house. Hope this isn't too much...

Malama pono!
    • Those are all good ideas, Amy. The "problem" is so big and extends to all of us - and more.

This is why it is so important to "buy into" some of these ideas on an individual basis. Then it can be extended to the family, friends and ohana, then to communities, then islands, etc.

Becoming self-sufficient in as many ways possible is, I believe, the objective.

This value - when expanded to the Nation - can put Hawai'i in proper relationship with the rest of the world. With a "balance of payments" in positive territory - we could avoid all the problems, for instance, that the u.s. is currently (and will continue into the future) suffering - with dollars buying less and less.

Energy self-sufficiency, along with food self-sufficiency - can really make a big difference.

It is absurd that Hawai'i must import 90% or so of its foodstuffs. Either we aren't making the best use of our lands or we're eating stuff (from all corners of the world) that we shouldn't - or at least we should minimize. Eating stuff in season provides another path to success.

With all that we need to do - we must tighten up our belts and be willing to do some sacrificing - like getting by at a lower standard of living. Do we need all the electronic gadgets, cars and appliances that are so prevalent in our civilization?

To put it bluntly - do we need half the stuff that WalMart promotes and sells?

On a more personal basis - Anybody need any avos or oranges (that I have a surplus of) that I've been eating, giving away, etc. I'm in Waimea - Hawai'i island.

Bottom line, let's try to do for ourselves so that we can decrease the number of things we "need" to buy at the supermarket!

In the meantime - we need to sing our songs, dance our dances, and really live as many aspects of our culture as possible. We need to learn and acquire as many tools as possible to live life as a new and healthy nation - and thereby getting along with our ohana, our neighbors, and all others in the world.

ku
    • Aloha e Uncle Ku,

Mahalo, I said this before, but whatever you say, is how I feel. Mahalo...

On another note of independence:

I was watching a program on t.v. called "building a nation" and I thought it was very interesting. It highlighted several things the indians have been doing to restore their nations and they talked about the important step to sovereignty being, organization. I'm not a historian at all but feel great hope when I see what other Natives are doing to rebuild their nations.

Without organization, it is hard to go forward as a nation seperate from the U.S. Personally, I believe all the sovereignty groups (although diverse in their ideas) have the common goals of wanting sovereignty, but is it possible to organize (not in Kau inoa) regardless of diverse views, for the sake of all of our goals to be free and independant but reaching a goal of organization to really do what is right according to our districts, communities, islands. because of geography, we have different needs according to ahupua`a and moku. I think we have the torch lit but as a nation we need to organize so we can all ku`e and gain political status as a seperate nation.

With the understanding that we are occupied, I see it ending this OHA nightmares cause they would be obsolete and the Hawaiian nation would be the sovereign entity to receive the fair market value of revenues from the ceded lands and control it. So we can rebuild our nation, get our people into houses etc... just a thought.

Heaha kou mana`o? Pehea la e pono ai?
    • I think those are all excellent ideas. Yes, there are many levels other than beginning in the home and garden, their are social economical areas that need to be dealt with . Yes I agree....

Mahalo...
    • Aloha Uncle Ku,

You are so right ..... Just saw Puhipau and Joanne at the store and he said he didn't have Olena so I planted some, used some for la`au lapa`au and now I can share it. It is an awesome way to live. Yes, even green onions, small garden vegies can help to save us money and if we have some to share, better yet. Everyone can save money. I agree with you 100% on the government involvement. If OHA, DHHL would just allow ohana to live on the property and we help each other through some kind of houses for the Hawaiian humanities etc... it would be great. The State charges too much to our people for the houses on DHHL and they say it is because of the infrastructure, codes etc... but some of these things they expect (high mortgages, no yards to grow our own food, no clothes lines etc...puts us more reliant on electricity and the grocery store when we have our grocery stores, and medicine cabinets in our yards. Or we can have it that way for the ones who have yards. Yes. Ku, You are on it. Maika`i kou mana`o. If everyone grew their own ulu, `uala, uhi, etc..not only that, then the medicine plants come in to the picture. If we all grew whatever we could and bartered I think life would be much easier. There is a health crisis in Hawaii not enough docs and ailing island people due to diet and if we could educate more on the diet, we wouldn't have to go to the docs so much. Right now, we only go if we really have to and it is an ailment which cannot be helped by la`au lapa`au but if we all relearn it (re: la`au lapa`au) We could malama our own kino and care for our own families and maybe even be healthier and not so dependant on pharmaceutical drugs. I agree, it starts in the home....even as little as the home may be but it would be great to get our homeless off the beaches and teach them to be as self reliant as possible. Mahalo, Momi
    • As I've known, which has been one of the important things that has drawn us to each other - we think similar to basic economics, food and health.

In fact, to me, food is sacred - but not the GMO stuff or stuff that is so commercially modified - even antibiotically "enhanced" chicken, beef or whatever.

I'm starting up my "garden" again. And I'm so looking forward to one of my ono-est delights - that is "Salad in the Garden!:" I take some salad dressing out there - and pick off leaves of lettuce, etc., off the plants, dab on some dressing and into the mouth it goes. To eat non-adulterated, fresh off the plant salad like this is one of the joys of my life.

Another is to roto-till on a warm day, with the bare feet being totally immersed in the warm and moist lepo. The sensation is so good - it is so ono - (and pardon me if this sounds too gross) just like extra good sex.

May we all get a chance to return to the 'aina and to live healthily with it - having it give us wholesome food that keeps us growing and healthy, and, on the other hand, enhancing the soil so it can grow more and better stuff.
    • `Ae Uncle...

We are in the same train of thought. Mahalo.... We are connected through our views and I will always, always have aloha for you, the kupuna who is not passive (as other spectacular kupuna on this website)who knows how to give voice for our younger generation to follow and reconnect with aloha aina....it all comes together when you work the soil (with feet or hands etc..lol!) and no I don't think your gross..you are doing what our kupuna did. They stomped the kukui and hau leaves into the soil to rototill (lol!) it and condition it with nutrients for mea kanu and there is nothing gross about that. I only respect your more because you have your wawae in the lepo. If we reconnected our people in the jails and problemed children with the aina in that manner, and promote aina education, maybe we wouldn't have so many problems. Maybe it would be a profound step to the healing of our nation.....

You are in a great area to grow fresh greens. oooo strawberries too. mmmmm you making me hungry....

Mahalo, mahalo.....

I second your wishes for a self reliant Hawaiian Community and an Independant Nation....!!

Aloha `Aina Kakou~!
This reply was deleted.