Aloha kakou: Here's the draft MANA founding documents -- please let us know what you think. Leave comments below, mahalo. Aloha aina, Ikaika ---------- Mission Statement Movement for Aloha no ka Aina (MANA) is a movement-building organization, established to achieve independence and social justice through direct action, political education, economic development, international diplomacy, and public advocacy, with a cultural and spiritual foundation. Values MANA follows in the history of Aloha ‘Āina in Hawaiʻi, and in the tradition of peoples throughout the world who struggle for liberation, freedom, and justice. We value kūʻē (resistance); kūkulu (creating alternatives); people power; collectivity; community; honesty and integrity; and fundamental human dignity. We agree that an Aloha ʻĀina must be "guided by great feelings of love." Platform of Unity Independence E mau ke ea o ka ‘āina i ka pono. Ea (sovereignty and independence), like breathing, is crucial to our survival. It must be achieved first, then practiced and lived daily. Independence includes the ability to negotiate our interdependencies with others. We seek political independence from the United States of America. Land He aliʻi ka ‘āina, he kauā ke kanaka. We practice and uphold malama ʻāina, a key element of Kanaka Maoli culture and politics. We have a reciprocal relationship with the land; it gives us life, and we must protect it. We will work to protect and nourish our ‘āina and natural resources. Demilitarization ʻO Hawai‘i ko kākou kulāiwi. We are of Hawai‘i. We are not Americans. We work to end the American occupation of our homeland. We oppose the use of Hawai‘i as a launching pad and recruiting pool for US wars. And we oppose the destruction of our ʻāina and sacred sites, and the political and economic enlistment of our people for US wars. We will work for the demilitarization of our land and society, and the clean-up and return of militarized lands. Health I maika‘i ke kalo i ka ‘ohā. The health and well-being of our keiki, ‘ōpio, mākua, and kūpuna are the hallmark of a vibrant Hawaiian society. We will educate and engage our society to care for our individual health, the life of the community, and the vitality of the ‘āina. Culture Mai ka lā hiki a ka lā kau. We reclaim, protect, and practice our cultural traditions and protocols for honoring and supporting all phases of the life cycle, from birth to death and beyond, from hānau to kanu. This includes our birthing, coming of age, and burial practices. Through these practices, we maintain our genealogical connection with the ‘āina and with each other. We believe firmly that culture and politics should be intertwined. We will live our culture , and will reject itsʻ sale or appropriation. Popular Education ‘Aole i ‘ena‘ena ka imu i ka māmane me ka ‘ūlei, i ‘ena‘ena i ka la‘ola‘o. The imu is not heated by the māmane and ‘ūlei alone, but also by the kindling. A broad-based movement requires ongoing consciousness-raising and mental decolonization. We will engage in ongoing political education to enable us to know who we are, and to build the courage, fortitude and capacity of our people to engage in principled struggle. Movement Building ‘Ō ka welau, ‘ō‘ō ka pololū laulima. The power of the spear is in the piercing tip and the deep shaft. We believe that lasting change relies on both a broad-based, active group of people and leaders of substance. We will build the front-lines and a strong movement to carry the struggle forward. Economic Independence Ua lawa mākou i ka pohaku, ka ‘ai kamaha‘o o ka ‘āina. We support a self-sustaining, modern, independent economy for Hawai‘i nei which prioritizes our local needs over foreign corporate or miltary interests. We will build this preferred future through kūʻē and kūkulu. Food Sovereignty E kanu mea ‘ai o nānā keiki i kā ha‘i. Plant edible food plants, lest your children look with longing at someone else’s. We advocate for all people to have the right to safe, nutritious, culturally-appropriate food and that they have direct kuleana in the ways their food is produced. Diversity & Inclusion Hawai‘i loa kulike kakou. We support the development of an inclusive movement bridging all ethnic groups and social sectors, toward a multicultural independent Hawaii. We will build unity and solidarity with all who share our values and principles.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Multicultural Independent Hawaii." For me there is only 1 Culture of Hawaii and that is the Hawaiian Culture. The Hawaiian Culture is the National Culture of Hawaii and of my Hawaiian ancestors. As a Hawaiian who has renounced my citizenship to the United States in January 17, 1993, I am a Hawaiian Nationalist of the Hawaiian Kingdom. Whose lawful government thru an Act of War was invaded, occupied and overthrown beginning on January 16, 1893. I have made the right of self-determination and gone home to the Hawaiian Kingdom, my country. I seek the full restoration of the Hawaiian Kingdom as an independant nation of the Free World. Long Live The Hawaiian Kingdom, o Pomaikaiokalani
  • January 13,2009
    Aloha,
    I have just read your very informative mission statement and would like to join your group.My name is Richard E.T.Sadowski but my friends call me eiyah.I am new to bloging and still getting my feet wet to this form of communication.
    I grew up in East L.A and currently reside in Morro Bay Cali,(approx.Half way between L.A and San Francisco).I am a Mechanical Field Engineer by profession and currently working on Clean Water Issues in California.Basically I am a 50 year old pollack from East LA.
    It is going to be essential for the sovereign people of Hawaii to regain control of their water supplies if they are to be successful in their pursuit for independence.With the resent events in Honolulu with regards to sewage pollution from the publicly owned treatment works(POTW's) the State of Hawaii (SOH) has continually been negligent in protecting the health of it's local people.This is evident by the fines that have been imposed on the SOH by the U.S EPA.However the U.S EPA has a long history of selective enforcement and has targeted Hawaiians with violations that are not enforced here on the Main Land.Resulting in a kind of ethnic cleansing through economic hardship via random and selective enforcement by the Federal Government.
    POTW''s must be under Sovereign jurisdiction , then any development would be subject to native Hawaiian review and approval.
    eiyah
  • Here's a "glimpse" of some historical maps of Kohala, let me know if you get "chicken skin" for these areas MUST be protected and we are at work in just doing that here in Kohala, birthplace of Kamehameha. As you view these maps, just think about how many more areas on our islands are sacred and historical. There are maps out there waiting to be unfolded - what is your calling? Your innate? Maoli must recognize how important aina REALLY is. To Unite, We MUST protect first the past to protect our future and it starts by "Where Do You Stand" (yes, play on words but true) - Our Righteousness Begins This Journey.....AINA! PROTECTION! NOT DIVISION!

http://www.kamakani.org/doc/general/KohalaHistoricMaps.PDF
This reply was deleted.