Huaka'i I Na 'Aina Mauna

Huaka'i I Na 'Aina Mauna is a group of mostly Hawaiian National hikers (with and without the koko) and outdoor people. By the way - "Huaka'i" began when "the term" was not as popular as it is now. Originating in 2002 by Kawaipuna Sharp (Kamehameha '64) and myself (Kamehameha '54), specifically to do annual cultural superhikes on Hawai'i island over as many old and ancient trails and roads - being aware of the history, culture, traditions, environment, flora and fauna of the areas over which we wanted to "walk in the footsteps of our ancestors" - as possible. Aloha 'Aina was our principal guide. For instance, in 2002, our initiating hike, started at the ocean at Koholalele Landing, at Kukai'au, Hamakua coast, and went up the mountain. Yes, the mountain is Mauna Kea. It took us 3 plus days to reach the summit as we traipsed up the Umikoa Trail and onto the Kaula Trail. (I choose to use the Kaula spelling rather than the other possible Ka'ula spelling - as I believe it is probably represents more meaning and kauna in its original use). At the summit - we flew our flags - the flags of our Ko Pae 'Aina O Hawai'i nation - which activity has been documented, among other things, in Na Maka O Ka 'Aina's "Mauna Kea: Temple Under Siege." We have also observed the annual celebration of Restoration Day, at noon, every July 31,starting in 2003, at Mauna Kea's summit - at Kukahau'ula. The next 3 days were spent descending the mountain - down the Skyline Trail, then across part of Pohakuloa (Training Area), then along the Kona Highway (through Puuanahulu), then down the Puuanahulu-Kiholo Trail to Kiholo Bay - to Luahinewai (at the ocean, the pond where Keoua intentionally "lost his manhood" in preparation for his "not a perfect man" status that thwarted Kamehameha I's plan as the principal sacrifice for the dedication of Pu'uKohola heiau at Kawaihae. Yes, he was "sacrificed" but he wasn't the "perfect" man that was required for the "task." Anyway, not only have we crossed multiple aspects of the island, we are also working to completely encircle the island - trying to stay as close to the shoreline as possible - as trails make it possible. At other times, we do hike on the highways. Kapono Souza - who is the originator of the Makahiki processions on O'ahu was one of our charter members. 'Ohukani'ohia Gon and Kepa Maly have been a couple of our advisors. Ka'hoola Ching (a Hawaiian National hula student and chanter) has been our protocols person. We are an international organization - as Kawaipuna Sharp and Gerry Valiakas (Kamehameha '64), commuting from London (Kazakhstan at the moment) and Anthens, Greece, respectively are regular hikers. We have also included non-Hawaiians in our activities, with priority being given to Kanaka Maoli and Hawaiian Nationals. We usually hike in groups of 8 or so, but one year, we only hiked 3 on certain segments. One of our major accomplishments is that we completed the segment from Ke'auhou (south end of Ali'i Drive in Kailua-Kona) all the way past KaLae (South Point) - to Ka'alu'alu - and we will be doing future hikes towards Punalu'u and the so-called Volcanoes National Park - as we circle the island. This year - we will be finishing up another 2 cross island routes - the 29 miles on Saddle Road from the bottom of Mauna Kea Access Road - at Pu'uHuluhulu - to Hilo Bay. We will also close a small gap near Ahu A 'Umi (the place where Chief 'Umi staged his troops for an attack on Kailua, nestled in the saddle between Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa and Hualalai), then over Hualalai, through Kaloko mauka to the ocean at Honokohau (the harbor area). And, we will spend 3 days-2 nights at the beach, camping at Kapua - a most wonderful spot with so many cultural places, including many stepping stone trails, 4 miles south of Miloli'i - that we will hike into and out of. Gil Kahele will assist us in taking our ukana (food, water, tents, etc.) in and out by boat. I'm writing this to share our special activity - as our participation in practicing Aloha 'Aina - and not to find new recruits - as "Huaka'i" has been evolving towards an ohana and special friends' activity. However, if there are any very serious student-outdoors persons out there who feel very strongly about relating to the 'aina AND us - we would welcome you. Just remember that we are a "small" group and our activities (as we consider them) border on the sacred, and as we pay homage to the godsand goddesses of the 'aina, and those who have preceded us. Mahalo for allowing me to share our story. It is my wish that groups like ours could be organized and put into practice on all of the islands of Hawai'i Nei.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Aloha e Ku,

Yes, this was a great thing. Since I couldn't be there I organized another hike from Kealia to Honaunau in conjunction with yours to insure the trails stay open. Maybe we can do island wide hikes. We had a wonderful experience. Called G. Bell to tell her that we were not asking permission but letting them know that we would be walking the area through the National Park. We did the walk again the next year. Everyone who came along with us felt it to be a highly spiritual walk. We makua brought with us our children and it was a great experience. One I hope we will do again...

I'd like to encourage other Kanaka maoli to do this on their islands to insure the trails are used and kept open.
This reply was deleted.