Replies

• When I was living on the beach at Onekahakaha in a hale made of pallets, card board and blue tarp, I NEVER once saw these "royal benevolant societies" come offer a helping hand. When I worked as a outreach counselor for the houseless covering the entire windwardside of O'ahu, I never saw these "royal benevolent societies" offer a thing. Now they come out against Hawaiians asserting their right to protest. Poho.
  • E kala mai but both my paternal great grandmother and my paternal grandmother belong to some hui

2670621137?profile=RESIZE_320x320

but I have no plans on joining any group nor be associated with any group mainly because of the groups' attitude of looking down on other Hawaiians.

What bothers me is the attitudes towards some of their own cousins (i.e. other Hawaiians) exhibited in the letter.

I wonder why they would allow their letter to be printed in a newspaper and allow themselves to publicly talk down to other Hawaiians the way they did supposedly stating this:

"While we, the Royal Order of Kamehameha I, 'Ahahui Ka'ahumanu, Hale O Na Ali'i O Hawai'i and Daughters and Sons of Hawaiian Warriors - Mamakakaua recognize the right of free speech, we strongly denounce the actions of this group as well as its claims to be heirs of the Hawaiian Kingdom. We represent the unbroken historical link to Hawai'i's past, and we continue to promote the protocol of our ali'i heritage. Together with The Friends of Iolani Palace, we are working to preserve and maintain the dignity of 'Iolani Palace and its grounds.

"We also oppose this group's claim to have elected a 'head of state,' using the titles of 'her majesty' and 'queen' within the Hawaiian context of a kingdom. Therefore, we continue to recognize, based on historical fact, that the descendants of Prince David Kawananakoa represent the Kalakaua Dynasty and are the Royal Family of the present day.

"We also condemn any action that could cause damage or desecrate these sacred grounds. It is shameful that anyone would hold hostage or threaten the sanctity of 'Iolani Palace or Mauna 'Ala in order to forward their political views.

"All should hold sacrosanct 'Iolani Palace and Mauna 'Ala and display the appropriate respect for the memory of our beloved ali'i and the stature of the Hawaiian Kingdom of Hawai'i."

We collectively are the link to OUR historical path. We are OUR kupuna. I think it has a lot to do with attitudes towards other Hawaiians and that they are "Haves" while many Hawaiians are "Have Nots." I am a bit surprised with the contents of the letter considering that Paiʻea did not follow some proper protocol yet he eventually united all of the islands and some of its people. Is it because of the throne? Is it because they feel as though Hawaiians who protested at their home (which is really what 'Iolani Palace represents) threaten them? But if we think about it... all Hawaiians descend from royalty.

There was no need to insult other Hawaiians the way that they did in their letter implying that what other Hawaiians are doing is disrespectful while implying that they are the respectful ones. That attitude bothers me. If other Hawaiians... wanna show their respect by showing up at 'Iolani Palace then they have every right to do so at the palace because without the people there is no Nation of Hawai'i.

I will refrain from calling them "sell outs" too nor will I say that it's the "Haole elite" because I don't think it's that. Look at some of our own people who are not Haole too and who do not belong to any hui yet still do not help other Hawaiians. I think it's because they are selfish and they choose to say and do what they do without realizing that other Hawaiians have a voice... and they will use it... and if they want to visit 'Iolani Palace to show respect for the nation, iwi, oiwi, kupuna, etc... they can and they will. I hope though that those Hawaiians who do protest continue to protest and those Hawaiians who visit 'Iolani Palace out of respect for the iwi and/or for their kupuna continue to do so.

Aloha,
    Lana
    • Maika'i kela ko'u mana'o. Mahalo nui loa me ke aloha pumehana no.

Aloha.

Hale Mawae
      Eo Lono!
  • Aue no ka hoi e!

He aha la hoi ia ano olelo ku maoli i ka lili? He wahi leo nemanema keia mai na waha a kekahi poe hohe wale i kaulana no hoi i ka hapai laho me ka ai pala niho. Ahea a ku lakou la i kulike ai me ka HKG? Ua nele lakou i ke koa ole. Aole anei?

Benevolant? Please... Don't these CAPE CRUSADERS have nothing better to do. All they do is march around in their fancy threads as simple ornaments for the sell-outs and haole elite. It wouldn't surprise me in that they the continue to take side against "the family."

Sadly, these same CAPE CRUSADERS say nothing about the palace being used as tourist trap instead of being the seat of government for our lahui. Who's really confused? True descendants of Hakau! HOUSE Kanaka!

So what? Go team go. Action is always better than criticizing on the sidelines. I'm not part of the HKG and I really don't follow their particular claim, but I do support the fact that Hale Alii o Iolani belongs to our aupuni.

Ihikapalaumaewa
  • Saturday, May 17, 2008 Honolulu Advertiser
    4 Hawaiian Royal Societies Criticize Sovereignty Group

Advertiser Staff

Four Hawaiian royal societies today issued a statement denouncing the actions of the Hawaiian Kingdom Government, a Hawaiian sovereignty group that has been occupying part of the 'Iolani Palace grounds since April 30.

'Aha Hipu'u, which includes the Royal Order of Kamehameha I, 'Ahahui Ka'ahumanu, Hale O Na Ali'i O Hawai'i and Daughters and Sons of Hawaiian Warriors - Mamakakaua, also denounced the Hawaiian Kingdom Government's claims to be heirs of the Hawaiian kingdom.

The state yesterday denied the Hawaiian Kingdom Government an assembly permit for the 'Iolani Palace grounds, saying it had broken the rules of previous permits given to the organization.

Here is the text of the statement issued today:

"A group identified as the 'Hawaiian Kingdom Government' took control of the grounds of 'Iolani Palace and blocked all access gates on April 30, 2008. This group also claimed these same grounds, our wahipana ('celebrated place'), as their seat of government.

"While we, the Royal Order of Kamehameha I, 'Ahahui Ka'ahumanu, Hale O Na Ali'i O Hawai'i and Daughters and Sons of Hawaiian Warriors - Mamakakaua recognize the right of free speech, we strongly denounce the actions of this group as well as its claims to be heirs of the Hawaiian Kingdom. We represent the unbroken historical link to Hawai'i's past, and we continue to promote the protocol of our ali'i heritage. Together with The Friends of Iolani Palace, we are working to preserve and maintain the dignity of 'Iolani Palace and its grounds.

"We also oppose this group's claim to have elected a 'head of state,' using the titles of 'her majesty' and 'queen' within the Hawaiian context of a kingdom. Therefore, we continue to recognize, based on historical fact, that the descendants of Prince David Kawananakoa represent the Kalakaua Dynasty and are the Royal Family of the present day.

"We also condemn any action that could cause damage or desecrate these sacred grounds. It is shameful that anyone would hold hostage or threaten the sanctity of 'Iolani Palace or Mauna 'Ala in order to forward their political views.

"All should hold sacrosanct 'Iolani Palace and Mauna 'Ala and display the appropriate respect for the memory of our beloved ali'i and the stature of the Hawaiian Kingdom of Hawai'i.

"Adopted unanimously this 17th day of May, 2008 by the Statewide Convention of 'Aha Hipu'u delegates."

In your voice

Read reactions to this story

Pomaikaiokalani wrote:

, "we are working to preserve and maintain the dignity of 'Iolani Palace and its grounds", what Joke. The grounds of Iolani Palace is a Public Park. Where the state collects revenues from the parking meters on the grounds of Iolani Palace. Not one penny of those revenues goes to Native Hawaiians, OHA or to the Friends of Iolani Palace. It is Hawaiian groups like those who have spoken against the Hawaiian Kingdom Government that is not pono. The Hawaiian Kingdom Government did what should have been done a long time ago. Long Live The Hawaiian Kingdom Government ."
    • The first thing my gut says, and if my heart starts to hurt, is this story is only able to get into the newspaper if the story will help the de facto State of Hawaii. I could be wrong.
This reply was deleted.