John Keola Lake 1937 - 2008 John Keolamaka’ainanakalahuiokalaniokamehamehaekolu Lake, born October 11, 1937, passed away Wednesday morning May 14, 2008, after a five-year battle with cancer. A beloved kumu hula, teacher, kahu, husband, father, and grandfather, Kumu Lake was a leader of the modern Hawaiian renaissance, educating people from all walks of life in Hawaiian language, chant, and religious practice. In 1965, Kumu Lake established the first Hawaiian language class in the State of Hawaii. In 1969, he was a founding member of Ahahui Olelo Hawaii, the State Association for Hawaiian Language. Kumu Lake was well-known as a teacher at St. Louis High School, where he taught from 1962 to 1993. While teaching, he established the Hui o Na Opio, a Hawaiian studies program for St. Louis students. Since his retirement from St. Louis, Kumu Lake has served as Kumu-In-Residence at Chaminade University. Last year, the university awarded Kumu an honorary doctorate. Kumu Lake has been widely recognized locally and internationally for his leadership and service. The Honpa Honwanji in Nu’uanu honored him as a “Living Treasure of Hawaii” in 1987. Mayor Jeremy Harris proclaimed October 24th, 1994 - ‘John K. Lake Day’. The Native Hawaiian Education Association honored him last year as “Educator of the Year” for his lifelong dedication to indigenous knowledge. Internationally, Kumu Lake has directed numerous cultural protocols: the 1999 Hokulea visit to Rapa Nui; serving as official chanter for the beatification of Father Damien; and acting as host for the Dalai Lama on his 1994 visit to Hawaii. John Lake is the Kumu Hula of Na Wa’a Lalani Kahuna o Pu’ukohola, the official priests of Pu’ukohola Heiau, and Na Hanona o ka Halau Hula Pa Ola Kapu. In 1987, Kumu Lake was instrumental in organizing Ho’oku’ikahi, a ceremony held at Pu’ukohola to reunite the descendants of Kamehameha and Keouaku’ahu’ula. This ceremony became an annual event bringing Hawaiians together in the spirit of unity. Kumu Lake is survived by his sisters Joan Kealohalani Lake-Farren and Miriam Keawepoepoe Lake; his wife Barbara Ellen Pualani Kahaka Lake; his son John Maximin Kekoaaliiokahekili Lake; his son Joshua Matthew Iwikauikauakukuiaikaawakea Lake and his spouse Stephanie (Canda) Lake; his daughter Kumu Hula Naomi Katherine Kahakuhaupiokamakani Sissy Lake-Farm, her spouse Kyle Keoki Elama Farm, and their children Puameiti Maliakekiheiokaheihei Malie Farm and Kekaulaiwi Elama Kaelemakule Farm; hanai son Kumu Hula John Kaponoaikaulikeikeao Molitau and his wife Jennifer Perkins, and their children Naleikaehukaikaneikapoanuenue and Kamahiwalaniokaleomakua; and thousands of students throughout Hawaii and the world. http://www.johnkeolalake.org

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E te matua hāere atu rā koe. Hoki atu rā koe ki ngā kōrero tapu o te āo kōhatu. Tēnei rā au e mihi tonu atu ana kia koe.
  • aloha to the ohana's of kupuna Lake,
    i remember his face as a little girl being raised with many Kupuna's on this Kingdom of Maui Nui.
    i was raised at paia, makena, ka'ahumanu and waiola churches in Maui Nui and many kupuna's came
    my way and i feel the genuine MANA, just from his presents of his picture.
    he has not died in silence for the examples he left among the survivors of his lifeline, his HA (breath of life)
    still linger among all of you.
    my many and many more ALOHA to you and all of yours
    until we all meet in unity
    mahalo Ke Akua
    malama kou kino (take care of your body)...........................................................................~da princess~
  • Aloha,
    Today is Friday July 17, 2009, and I am reflecting on the filming that one did in May 1995 for Prof. David Chappell and Ven Karma Leshe Tsomo which was called "Living and Dying in Buddhist Cultures". It was shown on Olelo for about two years. It was a complex piece of filming which lasted for almost two weeks. I gave all my films to Prof. David Chappell. In this film Kumu John Lake talks about death and how or what happens to us at the time of death, in a Hawaiian sense of place. It's been awhile so I don't remember too much of what he said exactly. It was a learning experience for me and at that time I was letting go of someone that I loved dearly, so that his tiny body could go and be at peace. This process was to assist people with the concepts of dying and letting go.

My first glimpse at a Leina was with Uncle Sam Lono at Kualoa Park as he sat next to the iwi near the ocean side of the park, he would chant at night and during the day. My second was on Kahoolawe at Kealaikahiki, although at that time I did not know what it was until I explained this experience to Uncle Sam. My third, look at the concept of a Leina was with Kumu John Lake, he explains our culture values deeply in the film. There after, Fale my Tongan friend also too explains about the Leina in his own culture way. My most recent experience with the Leina was at Naue, Kauai. We have our own way of departing into the next world and Kumu John Lake had a written piece about Hawaiians departing from this world and into the next, and again I gave my only copy away.

As a Haumana of the Temple of Lono, I would like to ask Kumu John Lake Na Haumana and students to preserve the Leina in their work and worship. If someone could research his film and place it in archive so that the younger generations can view this I would appreciate the care one takes to preserve Kumu John Lake legacy concerning the Leina. My experience at Naue was difficult, because my grandchidren are Na Kanei. I miss Kumu John Lake, we were very fortunate to know him when he was here. May his Ohana be blessed for sharing him with us. Kaohi
    • Mahalo for this moolelo, e Kaohi. Have you tried to contact either Olelo or Dr. Chappell about the video? It seems to me that either might help access the video. I will check with Kumu Lake's family about the video as well, perhaps they have a copy, though Kumu Lake was interviewed so many times that perhaps they may or may not have held onto every piece. They certainly are extremely valuable in retrospect!
      'Ohu
  • Kalamai 4 da late response (been not by cp 4 awhile, a long while)

Kumu Lake is the embodiment of the conscious Kanaka Maoli rersurrecting in present time space. He is unified with the icon & kino lau of what it looks, feels, and sounds like to return to truly hearing the independant voice of Na Kupuna pre colonial Hawaii..................In Kahiko he would be Aumakua to The Hawaiian Nation, and so he still is to those who recognize such things.....He walked the narrow path of Na Kahuna..... And in doing so he walked in two worlds, Catholic and Ho'omana o kahiko.............Western & Maoli....................... KUPUA........ One to never be forgoten..... let us all carry on his works..
  • Mahalo e na kupuna.
    Thank you for continuing the legacy of our kanaka maoli culture.
    Thank you for being a vast source of information to all Kanaka.
    Thank you for never giving up on your dreams for our people.
    Thank you for always opening your heart and never closing your mind.
    Mahalo e na akua.

Hale Mawae
    Eo Lono!
  • Mahalo 'Ohu.

................................................................... this isn't the right place, but then again...

I took some pics of a fern in a cave in Kalawao - the brightest, shiniest green I have ever seen. Any iseas what it might be?

Mahalo; see you folks soon.

Kaipo
    • Go to my profile and post a comment for me, maybe post a pic among your photos, and I'll take a look.
  • This is very shocking and sad. Aunty Genoa Keawe then him soon after? To me... it is devastating. My thoughts go out to his family and to all of the people with whom he shared his knowledge.

Aloha, Lana
  • Much aloha for a great teacher and initiator of so many great things for our time. His mana will be part of our story, always.
This reply was deleted.