Replies

• Aloha Kakou . . . Love this blog and the mana'0 shared. Found it while thinking about honu as my aumaku when I saw small kine for first time when leaving water at Keawakapu after snorkeling yesterday. When someone had handed me a small carved ironwood one when I first arrived here I broke into tears and knew then that this graceful, elegant being would be my kumu in many, many ways. I am of Native American Lakhota heart and turtle has been my guide for many years, so I should not be surprised. Anything that anyone can share about honu as aumakua much appreciated. A me pumehana Mahalo! (Please correct my 'olele if need, just learning) Kai Lani
    • Skye - I believe you misunderstand the concept of aumakua. It is not a totem animal spirit guide of contemporary western thought and New Age systems of belief. You cannot apply superficial spiritual meanings to them. You cannot just apply Hawaiian language, traditions, or concepts to western ones. Just like you cannot do that with Lakota or any other native peoples cultures. It's nonsensical and racist. You said you were of Lakota heart. Does this mean you are descended from the Lakota?

I don't believe it is your intention to offend but it would do well for
      you to realize how that sort of thing does not sit well for many of us. It is nice to see you trying to understand the culture through use of our language. Embracing a culture other than your own is always a good thing. As long as you come in a respectful way, questions are always appreciated. No one ever likes feeling stepped on even if it was accidental.

I see you live on Maui? What brings you to live in Hawaii?
  • pule
  • Aloha K*nan, go to your kupuna and ask; there are usually many stories within the family, kept in confidence. These stories may come out of it a list; from it see if this list brings a about other findings like old jewelry depicting the story or depicting the 'aumakua itself. The men would normally have symbolic items depicting the 'aumakua whether by carving or stone image; old bowls with carvings, etc. Not sure how much of these types of resources are available to a family - if there is also not one available, go to see a kupuna who collects items such as this and see if they are willing to speak with you about finding your direction to conclude your true 'aumakua. Sometimes you may find 2 to 3 kupuna who would agree on an item, and disagree on the ornaments of the item - this is more likened to coat of arms - sometimes may also include the 'aumakua
  • Sometimes it can be revealed in your genealogy. Also, new ones are made as those that pass have a penchant for certain elements, animals, plants, etc. I have found the names of my aumakua and most were told to me by na kupuna. You will find that because of the generations and marriages into various families, we have more than one aumakua preserved by our 'ohana. Many have been personal aumakua that families will recognize. The thing is to find out their specific names. Later, I will share my list and those that can claim relations through genealogy will find their aumakua and their individual names; many will return in their predicted forms.

Me ka ha'aha'a,

Tane
    • Tane notes that there are more than one 'aumakua for a descendant, via the long string of joinings through family marriages, this is absolutely right. It always makes me smile a bit when somebody says "My 'aumakua is the honu." This is because firstly, the honu itself is not the 'aumakua, it is the kinolau (physical manifestation) of 'aumakua and each 'aumakua may have more than one kinolau, in fact, count on it! Secondly each of us has more than one ancestor that has passed, and therefore, more than one 'aumakua. I am impressed that he is willing to share the list, since the 'aumakua relationships are powerful and there is deep kuleana in the relationship. Once revealed, that kuleana is placed on you through that relationship and it is kaumaha (heavy). On the other hand, for those seeking that relationship, what Kane offers is a true gift.
      aloha,
      'Ohu
  • There are clear instructions on refinding `aumakua in Malo (Hawaiian Antiquities), though the best bet would be to ask kupuna in your family. If there are none to ask, or if they don't know, then the instructions involve prayer, offerings, and a request that your `aumakua reveal themselves to you. You can read what Mary Kawena Pukui had to say about `aumakua relationships in the book Nānā i ke Kumu (Look to the Source) also.
    best of luck on your search!
    ʻOhu
    • Aloha E 'Ohu
      I am trying to find out my 'aumakua and it might be the pueo but how do i make sure? how would i be able to request my aumakua reveal himself to me?

Mahalo
      Nikoa
      • Did you read the instructions above? Go find David Maloʻs book "Hawaiian Antiquities" in the Library. and proceed! Tell us the results, if you feel moved to do so afterward!
        ʻOhu
This reply was deleted.