Kokua Kahana Valley II

Aloha, e na hoa makamaka! To my horror, while watching the news last night, Kahana residents are facing eviction AGAIN. In 1969, the state acquired the ahupua`a from Bishop Estate who received it from Mary Foster. According to the late Uncle Dan Beirne, Mary Foster was one to go down to the Tax office and pay the outstanding property taxes, that is how she owned most of the Valley; `apuka `aina to da max. Uncle said in an interview with the late Parley Kanaka`ole, he didn't understand why Hawaiians had to pay property tax on what they owned originally. I had the privilege, with other students from Ka Papa Lo`i o Kanewai to help the Beirne family restore lo`i in Kahana. This was back in the `80's. According the HB 782/SB 3 - posted on the internet which has the date of July 2007, the DLNR 's right to issue leases expired in 1992. This bill re-authorizes the DLNR to re-issue leases to the Kanaka Maoli families. see www.thehawaiiindependent.com Didn't realize Ikaika is on editorial staff of Hawaii Independent- Mahalo, e Ikaika & Travis Quezon for their in-depth coverage on this struggle. The whole purpose for Ahupua`a o Kahana was to educate about Kanaka Maoli lifeways. UH Hawaiian Studies students visit the ahupua`a to experience the richness of this valley. Since the DLNR has no jurisdiction now and has made the residents wait and wait for a management plan since the `80's, perhaps the residents should take back the ahupua`a...Shall we research the Royal Patents assigned for this ahupua`a, and kokua the rightful heirs to this `aina. see the interview with Uncle Dan Beirne http://kanakageneaology.wordpress.com/kanaka-stories/brigham-young-university-hawaii-oral-interview/daniel-beirne/kahana-valley/ What can we do to Kokua Kahana Valley? Me ke aloha a me ka ha`aha`a, Naone Morinaga-Kama

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• here's another tech question. You know when you fill out a form or order something on the internet, and you have to select a "country"pass4sure 642-812 from a dropdown menu that DOESN'T INCLUDE US, does anybody else get pissed off, or is it just me? Personally,pass4sure N10-004 I would often like to tell the webmaster of whatever site I'm visiting that I'll gladly participate WHEN I can choose the right country (I'm not a nationalist, but I aint no American, either). I would even be okay with selecting "other"
    pass4sure EX0-101, but that never seems to be a choice.pass4sure 642-892 And what about all our other occupied brothers and sisters in the world?
  • There needs to be a Vigil begin at Kahana Valley. A Vigil that will only end after the cancellation of the evictions of the Kahana Valley Ohana. The Evictions must be STOP. DLNR already have admitted that they were wrong in their misleading the Kahana Valley Ohana on a False Hope. Kahana Valley must remain a homeland for the Kanaka Maoli now and forever. We must take a Strong Stand to Stop the Eviction of our people. Lava, Lava, Enough is Enough.
  • These and many other issues for Kanakamaoli is when a one voice should be heard. Organize by towns, by neigborhoods, etc each head report to a central unit and give support whether in funding, in bodies or petition - WOW that is power. Native Hawaiian Legal Corp can help by a retainer of I believe $500.00 down. If each person was to give $1.00 or $5.00 each per each hawaiian; $20.00 per a household, etc imagine how many cases if needed on legal issues whether with NHLC or other attorneys you can trust for court cases. With as many hawaiians we have on each of our islands money would never be an issue for any cases. An attorney for todays courts and laws of the past would be even bettah. No matter which way you turn on any given issue, we need legal representation. The only obstacle on something like this is "who to trust with the funds"...SMILE. Easy, if a bank can set up a fund to help those in need (food, shelter, etc when someone loses their house to a fire) why can't a bank set up a fund for Kanakamaoli? I'm sure Kanakamaoli can set up a banking official responsible to create something like this and be a trustee for a fund just for things like this. A nonprofit organization can designate a bank official specifically for this one that does not have a conflict of interest with a nonprofit ie: not a blood relative or friend of a board member, etc. A nonprofit has to give their EIN for taxes only and be responsible just for the paperwork - the bank can cut the checks to the legal entity after the nonprofit provides them an invoice from the legal entity for services...think about it - IT CAN BE DONE! WE NEED ONE VOICE! Just think about it...if Aloha United Way can create a form to give employers the opportunity to have a koko or non koko put in a dollar for each paycheck into a fund like this...this kind of fund would grow in no time. Our people would not have to be scared of ANYTHING...ANYMORE!

My prayers to the Kahana Valley people.
  • ALOHA Kakou, e Naone, I'll be pushing out that the Ohana members of Kahana Valley shoud be given a Perpetual Lease to their Home Lots for $1,00, Traditionally the lands of Kahana Valley belong to them. If the USA Army can have a Petpetual Lease to Hawaiian Home Lands, why not out people to their Homelands at Kahana Valley. I do not support given them their Homelands in Free Simple. Mostly because of the Tax that will come with Free Simple ownership of their Homelands. With a Perpetual Lease, there should be NO TAX on their Homelands. Once more it goes back to the USA Army. They have a Perpetual Lease to Hawaiian Homestead Lands, and Pay No Land Tax to their Lease, Why Not the same to our Ohana at Kahana Valley? If not now, them WHEY..................?
    • Mahalo e Pomaika`i,

That is a good issue to bring up and also the fact that if they want to keep the valley really intact, make it a living ahupua`a and close it to the public and let the Hawaiians live there with a perpetual lease for one dollar sounds great. They are the true Land Tenants. The Valley would not be intact if there were no people to live in it. I wrote to Lt. gov. aiona and he said that they want to keep it intact...well, can't do that without the people of the aina. Can't do that by letting foreigners with foreign articles and possibly invasive seeds on them in that natural intact valley...I can't believe Lt. gov. is Hawaiian and he cannot see it. Foreigners don't belong in the valley...how is that for Natural Resource Management. DLNR seems to be the biggest prostitutors of our resources...

Prayers going out to the families....for them to pa`a aina O Kahana!
  • Aloha all-
    FYI -Royal Patent 4387 was awarded to A. Keohokalole for the ahupua`a of Kahana in the Mahele.

Mahalo, e Momi
    The residents did sign a 65-year lease agreement in 1993 but the DLNR, in their `ihepa, was not able to negotiate a lease, as their term to do so expired in1992. If you see a comment from an Ahupua`a resident on thehawaiianindependent.com site the State has plans to mine the water with 4 water mains....and cannot proceed with the work with residents on the land.
    This is in light of their (Board of Water ManagementCommission) recent decision to release water back into 8 East Maui streams. What hypocrites! Was there a public hearing as to them taking water from Kahana, and also an environmental impact assessment?
    So the truth comes out. It's all about the water resources. If no get kalo farmers on the `aina, then, no get opposition, contested case hearings, no need deal with Kanaka Maoli traditional water and subsistence rights. `Auwe!

Momi, if you are on O`ahu and in contact with the residents or Pomaika`i, who is in touch with the residents, maybe ask them if they called in Native Hawaiian Legal Corporation? - Alan Murakami is the lead attorney on the E. Maui case with Mahealani Kamau`u Wendt, of counsel. Also, Isaac Moriwake of EarthJustice is working on the Na Wai `Eha case. Just my mana`o.

`O wau me ka ha`aha`a,
    naone morinaga-kama
    • Durbin, the lawyer that went to the Hague has approached the Kahana families to represent them pro bono. He sent an urgent message to Thielen, DLNR to stay the evictions.
      • Mahalo for that information -

Yes, I heard on the news last night that the residents are filing a TRO - HULO! HULO!
    • Aloha e Naone,

Mahalo nui for the information of this being a issue of water rights so they are displacing the farmers so they can mine the water and build tons of houses and the Kanaka stand in there way? Maika`i. I am on the big island but I remember when the water rights issues came up with the Waiahole Valley...It is horrible to see that they built the second city of Kapolei and all those farmers got the water and the taro is now hard to come by...not to mention, opae, o`opu etc...this is an environmental case...Problem is, Native Hawaiian Legal Corp doesn't really help. I would like to hope that some of all of those entities would take the initiative to get involved. To me it is an issue not only of the basic human rights of the Native People of this land, it is an Environmental dissaster waiting to happen. All that land in Kahana and I'm sure they want to build so they can get money....It is upsetting...Mahalo for this information...it is excellent that you are informing us of the hidden agenda behind their plot to further the destruction of Hawaiian lands and displacing Hawaiian people of the valley who have made it their homes and grow their food there. IT is quite horrifying...

Mahalo nui,

Momi
      • Momi - Aloha!

I called Colin Kippen - the candidate for change in OHA - and alerted him to the situtation....Check out the Politics discussion board- Ikaika posted info on the rally set for this afternoon. It has Ikaika's contact number. Kippen said he would call Ikaika to see if the residents retained a lawyer. They need to file a TRO (temporary restraining order) like , yesterday.

I also alerted Rep. Abercrombie and Hirono to the situation. If you know people in Honolulu - spread the word. i`m on Maui myself, but alerted my daughter to the rally. the protests of the '70's and '80's, it's all coming back...so we have to settle this with sovereignty and freedom from the oppressor. E ku`e kakou!
This reply was deleted.