VIOLATIONS ALLEGED IN ILI ILI STONE REMOVAL INCIDENT

The state office on conservation and coastal lands is seeking enforcement against two Oahu residents who allegedly removed ili ili rocks from the shoreline of a Maui beach. Two of three registered officers for the Hula Supply Center, are named in the alleged incident for the unauthorized removal of the stones. According to state reports, the couple had indicated the stones were to be used for cultural purposes that include use by Hula Halau as hula implements and as lomi lomi massage stones. The state report indicates approximately 16 five gallon buckets of rocks were checked in at the Young Brother’s Maui facility, with intended shipment to Oahu on May 30th. A state site visit to the Hula Supply Center, notes that ili ili stone sets of four sell for $12. The 1600 rocks taken were translated to an estimated value of $4,800. The state is expected to take up the item for review at a meeting Friday before the Board of Land and Natural Resources. (Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008) (© Pacific Radio Group & Mauitoday.tv) CLICK HERE TO VIEW COMPLETE STATE REPORT

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Mahalo for posting this..

It's not so bad if you are getting hula stones for yourself and you live on island but this was taken with the intentions of selling it so they probably did no protocol for gathering and didn't understand that rocks cannot be sold. Even if they were for healing...the practitioner would be the one to go and find the rocks themselves and follow the protocol for gathering them. Same with Hula dancers. It should be the individual practitioners kuleana to gather the things they need. This was why I was concerned about the superferry allowing people to be more secretive about doing this. interesting.
  • Eia ka pilikia o ka Hawai`i Superferry. Kanaka Maoli and Maui residents have voiced their concern about the problem of off-islanders coming to exploit our resources; some of us depend on the fishery for food.....Maybe O`ahu halau should contact Maui Halau first. Ask before you take.

What halau hula would advocate the actions of Hula Supply Center, I realize they have been in the hula supply business for a long time and I remember getting my implements from them many years ago. But maybe it's time for the halau and kumu to enforce protocol regarding the acquisition of hula implements. Just my mana`o.....

Mahalo, e piilani08

Naone Morinaga-Kama
    Makawao
This reply was deleted.