Beach Access

In the last few months we have seen our kupuna, our makua, and even our keiki from across these islands come out in support of "Beach Access Rights." The privatization of land, the excessive development of our shorelines, and the overall (future) loss of access to the ocean has caused us to become troubled about this current situation. The sand, the sea, and the surf is where many of us spend countless hours frolicking. Our "rights" to the shoreline allows us to continue our cultural and traditional practices. Surfing, paddling, fishing, and diving are just a few of the things we will lose if we lose our "rights" to the shoreline. So what can we do? We must come together and let our voices be heard. Our "rights" to the shoreline are God given and with that we should be able to access the shoreline at will. With this "right" comes responsibility. Yes, "beach access" is a must but knowing how to care for the shoreline is another point to be made. Our shoreline needs our help to be taken care of. Unfortunately, trash and other debris constantly makes it way to the shoreline and is never disposed of on its own. So it will take the efforts of all of us to help "MALAMA" the shoreline. If we do this now our keiki will have a shoreline for tomorrow. If you know of any events in support of "Beach Access" let us know. Or if you have any mana'o pertaining to this situation please fill us in.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The ones that really will lose out is the following generations. The 'opio need to take a stand, too, or they will lose out. Beach access have been our right since time immemorial; whether we use it often or not. It's supposed to be there whenever we want to use it. Today, there should be convenient areas for parking like before all this development. They've changed the rules; we need to change it back. It's time the U.S. de-occupy our country; they forget our laws are still in existence and they cannot change it.
  • Aloha

Can anyone post the link of the article of this important issue? Mahalo Nui
  • AMEN! As to beach access, please be aware that Angel Pilago who is running for Mayor of Hawaii County was the lead in PASH - Public Access Shoreline Hawaii. Here's the information.........http://www.hawaii-nation.org/pash.html Please to encourage your friends, family, and fellow surfers to be in support of Angel Pilago because he has always emphasized that as an
    elected Councy Council member he is there "for voice of the peple" and will continue in the best interest "for the people".

Mahalo, Stephanie
    • Aloha,

I am glad that Angel is running and I pray he gets in as we have an issue here in Kau. We dont have an evacuation route...imagine that...
      There is a road here that can be used as a route..But get this the land is privately owned.Evidently, when the aina was purchased they had to have known of the law...but somehow and some way because no one made waves...this escapade of charging $500.00 to enter...
      To answer Stephanie..the legend of Hualalai any legends about tsunamis??lolo
      • Leilani,

I corrected myself, it is PROPHECY, not legend. The tsunami would be part of the prophecy because of the fall of the shelves and land mass. If you look into history, one of Hualalai's eruption did cause a tsunami. By the way, I'm not laughing out loud as this was also confirmed by a kupuna from the kona area who lived on Hualalai as told to my na kupuna before we ever became a territory. When we traveled the top road to get to Kona when I was a child, my mom would always be reminded of this legend and she and my dad would discuss this every time and it would scare me. I respect na kupuna and their knowledge of what has passed on to them from those before.
        • Aloha,

I also traveled the 'up road' to get to Kona as it is scenic..and yes ohana told stories..'chicken skin'...Later my dad and I would travel and take photos of fauna..there use to be so many varieties of lehua...It is one of my favorite spots on this island!

Nowadays, to travel on that road, you see so many changes. Especially all the homes built from one end of Hualalai to the other...knowing well enough in advance of the PROPHECY..knowing how many 'kanaka' dwell in those hales?
          Homeless Hawaiians is not a joke! Homes being built ontop of 'iwi' is an insult and no laughing matter!

The 'lolo' at the end of my last statement was a subliminal message that I thought you got! I dont dis my ancestors either! So if you were nuha about that I am sorry.

Leilani
  • Mahalo For This Discussion,

As a little girl in Hawai'i, I was an 'opihi picker' and my father and I would also hunt, fish and gather op'i. To shut out the maoli kanaka's to the lands entrusted to them from our ancestors before us, is an outrage.

The voices of the people and the gathering of like minds are a must. I was born in Honolulu and moved to the Big Island when I was in the 3d grade. I lived in Papakolea in Oahu and Papaikou on the Big Island, and I'm not sure if I would want to see all the changes.

I know about them and some of the changes, concern me deeply. During my time here in Iowa and other states, I have kept up with all the issues at home.

I'll be moving back home next year September of 09' and I am looking forward to meeting those I have been in contact with through the internet.

I have been an active member of writing emails, to the OHA and all the issues the maoli kanaka's are concerned about. I am looking forward on being within the grassroots of things when I return.

Thank you for this discussion,
    ~Nalani~
  • Mahalo e Kaeo,

I agree, we are at a time where we need to open our waha's and maka`ala every little thing going on. Here on the big island, it is a constant struggle. The Japanese buying Kohanaiki, rich people buying Hokuli`a and making gated communities and limiting beach access, hotels pushing the po`e hawai`i off of the beaches and making us park our cars far to walk to the beach now, Kawaihae boat harbor becoming militaryzed by the stryker brigade and superferry. Yet the locals use that beach within the harbor. Resources are gathered in this small beach which are not found anywhere else on the island. It is quite sad. This is an excellent discussion. Mahalo....
This reply was deleted.