A few Nu'uanu Sites

I am reminded that Kamehameha I had a home (around circa 1800) on a high spot where he could observe his personal lo'i up and down the valley - at Ahipu'u - which I would argue is probably at or very near the same location as Hanaiakamalama - but preceding it by decades. Some say there was a heiau there. I wouldn't be surprised. But one haole wrote in his journal that he visited the king there and gave the paraphrased description above. It is also interesting that the Paki Auwai starts in the vicinity of Kaniakapupu, however, I'm not sure whether the auwai at Hanaiakamalama is continuous with the beginning of it at Kaniakapupu. I would guess that it is. High Chief Paki, builder of the auwai, was not only the father of Princess Pauahi, he also performed the "marriage" between Kauikeaouli (Kamehameha III) and his sister Nahienaena. Actually, Paki didn't build the entire auwai by himself - he was the organizer and supervisor - and every person downstream who hoped to use the water was assigned to build a stretch of it. It might be interesting though, that the the reservoir that is mentioned, might be the same one, or near the same one, where power was generated for Kalakaua's 'Iolani Palace - the water probably being sourced through the Paki Auwai. I believe that historical accounts usually place the reservoir power source near what is now O'ahu Country Club - which is not very far away - or - not far from my favorite rock - Pohakuaumeume - that is on the boundary of the country club. Another very interesting feature of the area - or close by - is Waolani - the valley site of O'ahu Country Club. It is said that that was the first home of Papa and Wakea in Hawai'i. Others say that Papa and Wake were born there. Nu'uanu is indeed a magical and important place. ku Notes: [image: Map of Queen Emma's] This 1877 map shows Queen Emma's house alongside the Paki Auwai, with two groups of taro lo'i ("kalo patches") . A reservoir is noted in bold in the upper left. The site of Hanaiakamalama, near Pu'iwa, is thought by some to have formerly been a *heiau*. *Kalani* states, "from listening to people, I understand that when Kamehameha would come, because the area was planted in *lo'i* and *'uala*, it was about this area that he would turn and look down the valley. So if this was a stopping off place, then there probably would have been a *heiau*, to mark the spot or to conduct ceremonies and rituals--because it was so much a part of daily life. You didn't go to church on Sunday for two hours; Hawaiian spirituality was incorporated throughout the whole day, from when you awoke. Maybe not in front of strangers, but certainly in private." _________________ Pohaku-a-Umeume [image: Pohaku-a-umeume] The Pohaku-a-Umeume. *The Pohaku-a-Umeume* is another remainder from the time that the menehune and 'e'epa peoples inhabited Waolani. This rock was discussed earlier in regard to these ancient peoples. There, we discussed the rock's later, historical importance in relationship to the birth of O'ahu chiefs. Indeed, there are some who say that the Pohaku-a-Umeume is itself a birthing stone. But in its legendary context, the Pohaku-a-Umeume is the focus of a struggle between two rival groups. One version of the story involves two different groups of menehune, which Mary Kawena Pukui identified as the Na-mu and the Na-wa. *Mu* means "silent" and *Wa* means "noisy," so these groups were The Silent Ones and the Noisy Ones. The story as told to *Pukui* by *Lahilahi Webb* goes as follows (Sterling & Summers, 1978: 302): ------------------------------ [image: Fingerprints] The marks said to be the fingerprints of the opposing groups. "A group of *menehune* wanted that stone moved. some wanted it moved *mauka*[upland], and some, *makai* [seawards]. They tugged at the stone in opposite directions until the cock crowed and they all ran away. "There the stone remained in its old place but on it are the imprints of the hands of the *menehune* who did not agree and tugged, not together, but against each other." Here is a longer and slightly different version of the story, dictated by *J. A. Wilder* from notes made of a conversation with the late *John A. Cummins*(Hawaii Ethnological Notes vol.2: 204): "The king of the menehune defied a giant king living in what is not the Country Club grounds. He hurled insults at the giant and the latter threw at him a stone called Pohakuaumeume. The fight becoming general, the air was full of stones and this particular stone was thrown back and forth many times. "At last the menehune were driven to the cliff now represented by the name Pacific Heights. Here the "stone of contention" (Pohakuaumeume) was hurled with a mighty effort back to Waolani where it struck the chief giant in the head, killing him and ending the battle." [image: Birthing Stone?] [image: Pohaku with 'ili'ili] "This stone is now a boundary of the Country Club and is to be seen to this day lying where it fell. ....The natives of the old school could be seen worshipping or paying homage to Pohakuaumeume. The marks of the giant's finger prints and the prints of the Menehune fingers are in it. "After the victory the menehune gathered at the stream where the swamp, the stream, and the cliff meet, and on a rock called Kaumakapili a jubilation of victory took place. This rock is still there, and it is said that Kaumakapili Church took its name from it." Pohakuaumeume was also the rock which was the advisor for Kuali'i and his ohana - and where they worshipped. An account of the story is written up in Sterling and Summers: Sites of O'ahu. __________ (Kamakau Tales 135-147; cf. Malo 238 and Kepelino 191-192. Papa and W*a*kea are the Earth Mother and Sky Father of Polynesian religion According to a widely accepted Hawaiian tradition, they are the first ancestors of the kanaka maoli, standing at the beginning of genealogical time. In one chant, they are said to have given birth to the islands of Hawai'i, Maui, and Kaho'olawe [Beckwith Hawaiian Mythology 302]. Kamakau, on the other hand, presents a genealogy in which Papa and W*a*kea, born at Waolani, in Nu'uanu, O'ahu, appear twenty-seven generations after the first man, K*a*nehulihonua ["Man made from earth"], and the first woman, Keakahulilani ["Shadow changed by heaven"]. These two "progenitors of the people of Hawai'i and of all those who dwell in the islands of the Pacific" were created by K*a*ne, Lono, and Ku*, the main Gods of the Hawaiian pantheon at the time of European contact. The three Gods made "a model of the lands of the earth" in K*a*ne'ohe Bay between Kualoa and K*a*ne'ohe; when they saw there was no chief to rule over all things, they drew a man in the red-black soil "on the eastern flank of Mololani [a rise near Heleloa Beach on M*o*kapu Peninsula], facing the sunrise and near the seashore"; then they chanted the figure to life: "Hikiau; e ola!" ["I have come; live!"] The first woman was created from the shadow of the first man [Kamakau *Tales* 130-2]. Kamakau's localized creation story contains both Polynesian and Biblical elements.)

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –