Na Wao no ka Paemoku

Aloha everybody out there in Maoliworld, I was wondering if anyone has the different wao on each island, the definitions and an example/picture. I got differing information on these and still not certain of the areas that they may cover. I do know that each island had their own way of identification, kaona, use of language, and differences in ecological zones but maybe if we can kokua each other then everybody may get a better understanding in this. Any kokua is welcomed. Mahalo, Kalani

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Aloha e Kalani:
    Ae pololei ka manaʻo, each island had their own wao, and usually their own way to name and describe them. My expertise is in the wao of all islands, and their similarities, rather than their differences. Here, for example is a mapping of the major wao across the islands, and how much of the original wao have been replaced by our modern footprint (in pink).

esHIsu.jpg

Although these are labeled in inoa haole, it is not too difficult to go by the descriptions of the wao maoli and assign them to these broad regions, splitting some, and lumping some.
    Give us a listing of your wao names and what you think they cover, and maybe we can work out here, where they belong. It is probably a good thing to try and work out by discussion here a consensus listing of wao. Do you, for example, start with the wao listing to be found in Malo? Those are probably best aligned with Moku o Keawe, and include many upper elevation wao that a lower island such as Oʻahu might lack altogether...
    Aloha maikaʻi,
    ʻOhu
This reply was deleted.