The 'Aina in the path of H-3: Desecration and Healing

This monstrosity of a freeway has done more damage -- cultural, spiritual, "environmental" and economic -- than any other road, arguably since the Roman Empire. And yet I feel that it has opened the way for powerful healing throughout the world as well; as we struggle to heal the land, we heal ourselves, too. I would love to hear the mana'o of others on this.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• BTW, I'm uploading some video from the Halawa struggle. An important part of Kanaka Maoli resistance and spiritual practice history!

Find more videos like this on Maoliworld

Find more videos like this on Maoliworld
    • I think it is interesting that he mentioned Bishop Museum cause we all know or should know that Bishop Museum is not a Hawaiian organization. It is a corporate organization run by very culturally insensitive people who get pay offs for displacing Hawaiians from their religion, beliefs, and cullture. Mahalo for this video. I like how he said everything on it. I agree....

So sad that they changed the land, water, to further oppress our people. Bishop Museum trustees are very corrupt. I agree. Kick backs were paid, and people were fired in an attempt to shut them up. Those trustees will do "anything" to cover their backs. So they support the destruction of our archaeology, this is why they fired the archaeologist who said this was an area for archaeological significance. I would love to visit this site if it is visitable. I heard much about it. Our culture will live and survive and our voices will live on. Mahalo, Laulani.
    • The valley is definitely visitable for cultural purposes. My own relationship is complex, but the simple way to go there right now is to contact the kupuna group who go up there pretty regularly to malama -- they have keyed access and they need help; there's a lot of work to do! Let me know if you would like me to pass on contact, etc. I'm trying to figure out a good time to put together a larger workday too, to help out, but the window has not been opening for this round, for some reason...I think that when there's enough interest, it will just happen.

Btw, that fired archaeologist, Barry Nakamura, is really an amazing historian and person; he now teaches at Leeward Community College. He has so much knowledge that really adds great dimension and depth to understanding maoli religious practice. Even though he was fired and his findings discarded by the museum, I'm glad he worked on the Hale o Papa for the time that he did.

Aloha!
  • Aloha e Laulani,

I agree, it is a monstrosity. When I was young and growing up in Kane`ohe, we would climb that stairway up the Ko`olau. I was upset and felt helpless when I was on the big island and the H-3 was being built. I suddenly realized that the climb up the Ko`olau would never be the same. It would be forever changed by concrete and cars buzzing by. The heiau and other archaeological impacts the H-3 infringed apon is horrendous.... Now living on other islands, I see more of this type of desecration happening and feel helpless. but I still voice my opinion when I can and this creates a balance in my na`au that at least "I said something about it". It is a hard thing to keep up on since there is so much development which is insensitive to our culture. Man, we got some great discussions started. I would like to hear others mana`o on this topic as well....

Aloha....
This reply was deleted.