Mauna Kea - Astronomy Riding on the Coattails of the Kingdom

MAUNA KEA RENT, ITS THE LAW By Kealoha Pisciotta Mr. Conklin you are correct “ceded lands” may be used for educational purposes. You are not correct however, in claiming the foreign governments and corporations operating on Mauna Kea are non-profit organizations. Not even the University (UH) operates as a non-profit, since it leases technology patents for millions of dollars to corporations such as Raytheon, MIT Lincoln Labs, and Lockheed Martin. The foreign observatories are funded via their national science budgets and/or corporate monies. For example, the taxpayers of Japan and the Mitsubishi Corporation fund the Japan National Telescope (Subaru). Canada, France, Britain and other countries operating telescopes atop Mauna Kea, operate in a similar fashion. International taxpayers, corporations, and even the UH in this instant case are NOT non-profits. Hawai`i taxpayers are being saddled with the full burden/liability of all damage incurred on Mauna Kea. Any damage to the watershed lands befalls the State taxpayers. Science depends on the good will of the taxpayers. And despite your opinion on the subject Mr. Conklin, state law bars the use of ceded lands (especially where profit is concerned) without charging “fair market” lease rent. The law is clear and it was established to ensure profit is not got off the backs of the state taxpayers. Asking Hawai`i citizens to subsidize foreign capital and gain is unreasonable. NASA’s annual budget is ~$14 billion dollars and all other state and federal astronomy money is funded by the taxpayers. Given the billions of public dollars spent, astronomy in context, is not finding the cure for cancer or HIV/AIDS. We have always supported astronomy, and simply argue good science should support the protecting the environment, conservation and the cultural traditions of the people of Hawai`i. Observatory rent is a legal requirement.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –