Birth Lesson

Although I often feel/see/experience ho'ailona that my kupuna are by my side, the closest that I have really felt my kupuna has been in the process of giving birth. With my first and second children Piilani and Kawaiola, I choose to homebirth. Piilani was born in Hilo, Hawaii and Kawaiola was born in Anahola, Kauai. Both experiences taught me to "give in" to the awesome power of Akua and to enlist the kokua of my kupuna. Talk about being humble. Birthing will literally bring you to your knees. No screaming, no carrying on...just embracing the shear mana of what God/Akua has placed us on this aina to do. My third child, Pilipaa chose his own path. He became a footling breech at 39 weeks and would not budge with lomilomi, accupuncture or an inversion (an invasive procedure to attempt turn the baby). So....my husband and I puled and excepted that his path would be differnt. He arrived via bright lights, commotion, and abdominal surgery also known as a C-section. Again, I felt my kupuna at the birth however, ther was no process. it was taken from me, due to intervenous drugs and other peoples fear. I am soon to birth again in October and I prepare my body (sometimes); my mind, and yes...my spirit (constantly). This birth, I know will be amazing. I feel differnt, I feel empowered again. If you believe too, please pule for us. Mahalo.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Aloha e Lorilani,
    Wow!!! one more on the way congratulations!!! Happy Aloha Friday and Malama
    ~*Ku'uipo*~
  • Aloha e Lorilani,

I think it is great that you see your kupuna as always being with you during your birthing. Good luck on the new one. I just gave birth 7 months ago and because of my age, they freaked out on me. Wanted to medivac me etc.. I had originally wanted a home birth and since my good friend is a midwife, I thought I could do it but they didn't let me. Throughout my whole pregnancy the doctors and midwife was at odds with each other so I just had to choose my own path or my daughter chose hers and I gave birth and everything was fine. The baby was happy and healthy and still is. They freaked out but would have stood to make a lot of money off of me with all their extras that we really didn't need. She finally came into the world with two pushes and this baby is very much in tuned with kupuna. I know she is...So the best of luck to you on your beautiful birthing....
    • "They" are always freaked out and do not honor the path of women all over the world. Women whom have birthed since forever and will birth forever, even when the system fails. Birth is NOT an episode that is meant to happen in the hospital and yes..."they" do stand to lose SO much money if and when you choose not to birth there.
      I'm curious, what island are you on? We, homebirthers....don't usually give out MD's a clue on the homebirth, since we would have to suffer the reaction(s) and "their" issues. Granted, there is some guilt to receiving care with the knowledge that you won't use their services in the end (thats when they get paid, after the birth) HOWEVER, consider that they are pushing people in and out of OB/GYN offices faster than you can say..."ifeelguiltybut Ireallywantahomebirthandhonormybabyandmyself". So we get over it.
      I'm sorry to hear that you had to be in the middle of a battle between midwife/MD that on some levels come have impacted you and baby. But, as Akua intends...all is well and the GIRL did it on her own.YES. I love girl babies. Such mana. Congratulations and Aloha. For more stories....please check out my group, "He Mea Wahine" sometime. lorilani
This reply was deleted.