Visits by ʻaumākua

I start with an excerpt from a blog entry on pueo: In my training as a chanter, my teacher, Kumu John Keolamaka'ainana Lake told stories of his pueo 'aumakua, so an experience I had on Kaho'olawe was particularly significant. I was participating in multi-day meetings on the island, planning its restoration, and one morning before dawn, I was moved to awake early, walk up a trail in the predawn light to the top of a nearby hill, to present a chant to the silent morning. The chant begins: E ala, ua ao, ua mālamalama, ua hele kānaka aia i luna Awaken, day has come, the sky is brightening, people are stirring above But as I uttered those words there was stirring, as in the air around me came soft whistling of feathers, and the dark silhouettes of pueo circling. Four had flown from the nearby pili grasslands toward the sound of chant breaking the silence of the dawn. It was all I could do to maintain my composure and finish the chant, then stand in awe as the four owls continued to circle for a time, then head off into the surrounding landscape. When I told this to Kumu Lake, he explained further that the pueo, as a kinolau (physical manifestation) of the major god Kāne, is associated with the day, so as my chant was dedicated to the breaking day, they were there to contribute to the mana of that event. ---------------

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think I posted my entry under the wrong header. I'm going to repost here: Thanks all!
    am the daughter of a Lindsey girl from the Big Island. This board is so wonderful... it is hard to find correct and accurate sources of knowledge on the Mainland - here in Los Angeles. I have been interested in Huna since my mother passed away in 2003, but many of the sites I find on the net either seem commercial or very haole... one day when I have some time, I will relate what I felt were visitations from my mother after her passing... I was so moved and bewildered by them that I purchased a book written by a Kahuna (it is at home... I will get my source) and strangely at the end of the book she had published her phone number. I called her and asked her what she thought of my visitations, and instead of comfort - she was almost angry with me. In retrospect, it was such a Hawaiian moment, that I chuckle to myself now when I think of it. Understand that I loved my mom with all of my heart - and gave 6 years of my life to caregive/kokua for her - which for me, was an honor and something I wish I could have continued even today. The visitations were very, very distinct, in a dreamstate that I had never had before. I was (and still do) mourning her terribly as was my father. And her visitations - there is no other word for them - affected me greatly. The Kahuna I spoke with (I am pretty sure she was Kahuna) was angry that I should question my mother coming to me. "We are Hawaiians... it is what we do... of course that was your mother... she wanted you to know that she was doing well and that she still loved you. Our loved ones come to us for about a year or so, and then they do not return again." Was curious what you thought of this... I am not a Christian... was given a chance to accept that religion, but in the end, decided against it because it doesn't describe the world I see around me. The lore and ways my mother taught me and stories of growing up in Waimea, the traditions, the spirits, and the language - are what I see in my world everyday. She spoke kindly to animals, plants, and rocks - as if there was a spirit within each of them. Everyone who came to know here loved her very much. And just the way I mourn her, she mourned her own papa and mama until the day she passed away. Once, when she lay very ill in one of our bedrooms, it was late at night... and I heard Hawaiian chanting coming down the hallway. It had that eerie ancient feel to it and appeared to be coming from her bedroom. At first, I thought it might be my mom chanting... but she had told me about her mother's chanting and how she did not remember the words nor could she do it herself. I guess it was customary to greet visitors by opening the door and chanting to them as their cars came up your driveway... my mom said what the chants were about were usually, "Hello, my good friends! How wonderful to see you. I hope you had a safe and happy trip. Please come in and be welcome and comfortable... etc." and the person or people who were visiting would also chant back their greeting... my mom said it was like nothing else. Anyway... here was chanting coming from mom's room... it was hard to tell if it was a man or woman's voice... but there was no doubt what i was hearing... so I listened for a bit and started down the hallway for her room and as I got closer the chanting stopped. Mind you, this is not on the Big Island, but in Los Angeles... when I got to her, she was fast asleep, so I looked upward and asked, "Grandma? Is that you?" The chanting had felt comforting, as if someone had come in to look on mama (who was in great pain and discomfort) and wanted to soothe her. I am sorry to this day, I disturbed the sound. And I wonder if I was hearing things... but at the end of her life, my mom asked (called out) for her father... it was heartbreaking... Sorry to ramble, but wanted to relate that story... and ask... where can I learn about proper Huna, please? What books are considered non-New Age? I would like to learn more, but don't want to waste my time on junk.

And finally, my mom had wanted me to have a longer Hawaiian name... but in the 50s, "Lani" was all I was given at the time. We talked about it and we decided on Kananileo'okalani... I have sung since I was two and do all kinds of singing... http://www.colonytheatre.org/shows/reviews/SideBySidebySondheimRevi...) but we weren't sure if that rendition of the name is correct in the Hawaiian language. Also, my mom said, you can't just take up a name, it had to be bestowed upon you by a priest or kahuna. I would love your opinions on this... thank you for all of your posts...so much good information. It is so gracious of you to share with all of us. Take care, steph
  • aloha e `ohu--

chicken skin story! thanks for sharing. i'm also glad to know that others have had experiences with na aumakua and are willing to share.

from a very young age i've experienced many encounters with the spiritual realm. at first, i was confused though never scared, but i always hesitated in sharing these experiences with my immediate family for fear of sounding crazy. the only person that ever understood was my tutu man, and during holidays and summer vacations i was fortunate enough to spend a lot of time with him on the big island. of all the experiences i've had, though, the one that has made a significant impression on me was one that i had on the island of kaho`olawe last summer.

i had the privilege of spending four days on kaho`olawe with a very large group sponsored by pko. i was part of the kokua a puni group which was residenced at the UH dorms for summer and a part of the activities which were planned for us was a huaka`i to kaho`olawe. unbeknownst to other members of the group, a couple of weeks prior to participating in this summer enrichment program i was diagnosed with bone cancer and suffered a tremendous amount of pain which was controlled with morphine injections. through the use of this drug i was able to control the pain and was able to keep my illness a secret. as the days came closer for the huaka`i i battled with myself about what i should do as i knew i would not be able to keep my condition a secret as i knew i would not be able to take the morphine along with me--or maybe i could, but it would be difficult to maintain sterile conditions, so i decided to keep my drugs at the dorm and go without for the four days.

my first day there went okay, but by the evening the pain became very intense and walking was difficult. i tried my best to keep the pain in check, but it became more and more obvious that something was wrong with me as i was limping and walking very slowly. meditation helped tremendously with some of the pain, and keeping myself busy also helped. one day, though, i sat down with uncle maka and he suggested that i find a quiet spot to "go within". one early afternoon, icrept along with sea wall and found a very secluded spot just below the hale mua. i sat in a spot where i could feel the mists of the crashing waves, and stared out into the ocean to get peace. from a distance i saw something poking out of the water occasionally and disappear below the rolling waves--this "something" kept coming closer and eventually when it came near the coral ledge i was sitting on i recognized it as a turtle.

immediately, a large wave came along and the turtle road the wave and landed on the coral bench near where i was sitting. this honu was the largest i had ever seen before in my life--i believe if i had the chance to lay on his back i could stretch out completely and lay down comfortably. the honu was not afraid of me nor was i afraid of him, but felt very comforted. he turned his head slightly and we looked at each other eye to eye. i felt something like a wave of warmth come over me then began to hear voices chanting, at first very softly, but as time went on it became louder to where i could hear the words clearly. in these words i heard a message that i knew was just for me---i was so overwhelmed that the tears began to flow from my eyes. you see, i told myself when i received the diagnoses that i would just let the disease run its course and i was very much resigned to the fact that i would die soon. through the words of the chanting as well as the energy i was receiving from the honu, though, it was revealed to me that i didn't have the right to be selfish and had to fight for life because what i was sent to this earth for was not completed. i continued to cry as i tried to reconcile myself with this instruction. eventually though, another large wave came along and with it the honu disappeared as the chanting slowly became softer and softer. i crept back along the wall and returned to camp. the pain was still there, but somehow i was able to manage it a bit better and enjoyed the rest of my stay there. the day to return to makena came quickly, though, and before sunrise the entire group was on shore to haul ukana and ourselves back to the boat. i stayed on shore and waited until the very last minute to take the swim back to the boat.

i attempted to walk into the bay until i got to near waist high, but the waves kept pushing me back and i kept tumbling and falling in the water. a feeling of melancholy and tremendous loss came over me which pushed me to not only tears, but a jagging cry that came from deep inside of me. i'm sorry to say that this worried everyone else that was around me who kept asking "what's the matter?" i have to admit that i was also kinda worried because never before in my life had i ever had the experience of crying like this. 3 kua swam to where i was, surrounded me and together we chanted. i eventually gained some strength to continue the swim to the boat (and thankfully there were people lined up along the way to help me) but i continued to shed silent tears all the way back to makena.

on return home to o`ahu, i asked a couple of acquaintances i had met who had some experience with la`au lapa`au to work with me. unfortunately, i suffered a severe drop in blood pressure as a result of the treatment i was given and landed in the hospital. as luck would have it though, there was a boy in the next bed who was also suffering from cancer. i say luck because it turned out that his grandmother trained in la`au lapa`au with my tutu man--i remembered her from when i was a young child. she recognized me and after a long conversation with her she told me that she would help me. that was over nine months ago and we continue to work with each other. i'm happy to say that i am now in remission. my doctors are dumbfounded as i was already written off to die...i remember when i got my diagnosis i was told that chemotherapy could be an option, but because the cancer had metastasized i was advised that the only thing i should concentrate on was getting all my affairs in order. the "shadow" is still there, but not a trace of cancer cells can be found in my lymph and the "shadow" hasn't grown either, but has shrunk a bit. i consider myself cured, but of course, my western doctors tell me i will need to subject myself to further testing over the next 7 years. i'll do as they say as far as the testing is concerned, and maybe after the time period i'll tell them what was done and my experiences, but now is not the time.

mahalo for letting me share.

aloha--ha`upu
    • Aloha, Your story is amazing and true, simply beautiful. The smybol of long healthy life is the honu. They have the gift of walking in many worlds at the same time, and so their eyes are fill with la au lapa au for body, mind and spirit, and they make great traveling champions. wow what a gift!!!!! I was diagonsis with cancer of the blood many years ago when i was younger, but i stop treatment and walk away from it as soon as i turn 18.
      i know, that your story is true, just believe and keep going. e ola. e ola. e ola. eloise
    • Here you remain, though by all estimates you should have been gone, take that time and find the reason, and take action on it as it becomes clear to you. When you described your encounter with the honu nui, waves passed over me like wind, followed by the chicken skin.
    • mahalo for the words, `ohu--

ke ho`omau nei, no ho`i...lol. i've continued with my studies before, during and presently, and am transfering to manoa this fall. majoring in hawaiian studies and i'm looking to minor in botany because of my love of plants. i've gained a new perspective through this experience, though, and see what's ahead of me quite differently than before.

my experiences on kaho`olawe will never leave me...the honu was really only one of the many i had there. i guess being a little `e`epa (lol) i was able to spend a lot of time alone--you know what that experience is like, not da `e`epa part, but the part about being alone. the moments where the `aina begins to talk to you. there's so much potential for bringing her back to physical life again. i'm proud to hear that you contribute to the `aina's reforestation efforts. i hope to be able to be a part of that some day.

again, mahalo for your kind words.

aloha--ha`upu
  • Aloha,

It's been almost a year since the last writings on this site. Somehow I was dismissed for bad political behavior according to some, which others call it something else I won't repeat here. Well, I am finally back again to continue where we left off. I do want to put that picture your suggested on to the Spritual World site. Thank you. Meanwhile I would like to carefully continue to discuss Spiritual World since so much have come out I made this site only open to those who sign up for this site..I will also e-mail back and forth and would like to ask both you and momi to received new members and to give your input on whether the person is pono to accept. I realize the sensitivity of tihs issue and respect that very much.

mahalo,
    Kawehi.
    • I am glad you are back e Kawehi. I'll look forward to your communications, and offer what advice I can...
      'Ohu
  • E kaomi i keia no "Ke Kaha 'Ana o ka 'Aumakua"!
    • Ina aohe o`u aoao facebook, pehea e heluhelu ai i kena mea "Ke Kaha `Ana o ka `Aumakua?" Hiki ia oe ke kau i ia kii ma `ane`i nei?
      mahalo!
  • 1/4 of a mile from my home is the district of 'Iole there's story to why it's named this but of course it is home to the Pueo and many stories also of the White & Brown ones and their 'ohana . Where I live now is home to the 'Io so the Pueo and 'Io are neighbors in flight. Their wingspans are amazing...once half the roof length of my cousin's place next door, When they fly on a still night you can hear them gathering in the field behind us...their fluttering and gliding of their wings and screeches are just awesome.
This reply was deleted.