Love your weeds?

Are weeds really weeds? An interesting report done by a student focused on the "invasive" species of Hawaii. It was informative and direct. But it was very limited. Though I have thought of this before, it was Laulani's perspective on the "invasive species recycling venture" that got me thinking again- are weeds really weeds?? When we came to some fallow fields we found it to be overgrown with razor grass -napier or some similar name- and began clearing it to make loi kalo. I noticed that where the grass had grown, the soil was soft and fertile, and where the aina was bare, the soil was hard and rocky. Some time soon after we began clearing a flood came and covered our aina in two feet of wai. When the sun returned a good portion of land that had been cleared of razor grass was completely stripped of the top soil, leaving only hard, rocky clay. Now I look at the war between the grass, the albysia, the rubber tree, and the vines, and I wonder whats underneath all this chaos? No chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides have touched this earth for years, The grass retains the soil, breaking up the clay, the albysia sends down huge roots, pulling up good nutrients from way below... the rubber tree drops millions of leaves and seeds doing their job to improve the fertile forest floor, and the vines, OH THE GLORIOUS VINES, that entangle the ancient trees, rotting them from within, bringing giants to their knees. Yet still I see more- ferns that depend on the shade, with their edible shoots, shrubs with berries, bamboo fishing poles, banyan root swings, guava grove pig stands, mangrove hard wood flooring, lantana thicket security system, and I haven't even started with medicinal properties, medical uses, or health benefits. But what I am trying to say is just this- Say hello to your weeds the next time you see them and maybe youll find a friend you never knew you had. The foreground is easy- the Egyptians made paper from this plant, but the background is tougher- any guesses? Hope this inspires someone, anyone to take a closer look at their own backyard. Mahalo nui loa, kaiks

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• By my avatar (and places I've chimed in about Hawaiian medicine), you can probably guess that I'm a weed lover too!

I still think that invasive species need SERIOUS clearing in many areas, but Ikaika has a GREAT point about the soil balance too. Clearing to the soil level, where the dirt is then exposed to sun, kills all the beneficial bacteria in the soil, leading to a need for pesticides, etc. I have been making a semi-illicit organic garden in a space overgrown with philodendron-vines-from-hell. I only clear what I need, and oh man are those frickin vines hard to keep back! But oh, what beautiful soil they have protected! I've boosted it further with bacterial inoculant (to break down the Starbuck's grounds I just threw on top any kine) and what is really amazing is how disease and bug resistant the plants are. This is in an area where my other plantings get whacked with stuff all the time.

One message in all of this: BOYCOTT ROUNDUP!!! Monsanto sucks, anyway!

Another is that I need to put more thought into the "invasive species bounty hunter" idea, huh? I still think it would be a good thing (I'm especially thinking about Albesias & other species capable of killing acres of natives in a single bound), but "ground control" is important too. Anyways, the real idea is to give jobs to aloha 'aina practitioners, so those doing the work could figure out through the sharing of mana'o what is pono for the 'aina...

Btw another interesting use of Wedelia -- apparently, some Chinese martial artists make a tea that they use after sparring, to help with muscle oxygenation & healing. But I was not clear as to whether they drink it or use it externally on their bodies. I was presuming inu, but as la'au lapa'au I know better than to presume!

Great discussion, everybody!

Aloha, Laulani
  • Heheh, yes, weeds are only plants growing in a place where they are not wanted. Non-native plants serve many many functions in various places, especially agricultural ones. I only have animosity to habitat modifying weeds displacing natives where natives should be growing. Elsewhere, the lo'i and mala especially, "weeds" place an important role transfering nutrients into the topsoil when it is time to plant the 'ai.

Behind the papayrus looks like a bed of Wedelia trilobata, though they keep changing the names of things like this, so maybe that is not its current scientific name... I always think of this as the board of water supply weed, since it used to be the favorite thing to plant around water tanks in neighborhoods...

Your edible tomato berry one I don't know, though, who has an answer to that one?

Looks like lots of people are getting the Wedelia answer right!

mahalo for your post,

'Ohu
  • And the grass will grow....

Interestingly I found at least six different types of grass in my yard. Some are hybrids that appear to never seed and spread out rapidly, others are very tall and clump together sending seeds everywhere. Im sure each has its uses, and even having multiple grasses has its advantages. Visually it may not be pleasing but imagine the possibilities. . . . .
    One for where you walk, soft and lush, like a shaggy carpet, one for where you park, tough and hearty, one for along the house where its dry and shady, one for under the trees that drop tons of leaves, one that never needs mowing for most of the yard, one for where there always seems to be a muddy puddle, one for the rock garden, one for the birds, one to grow for the cow, one for the cat, one for myself, and one in a pot for my neighbor since he's got concrete goin all the way a round.

thanks again,
    kaiks
  • More love for weeds....

some weeds are rich sources for nitrogen, potasium, growth hormones,
    some weeds grow where no other plant can grow,
    some weeds can shelter a shore, house, or even a reef from environmental impact,
    some weeds hide our vegetables from thieves, birds, bugs,
    some weeds attract pollenaters, bees, butterflies, moths, flies, birds,
    some weeds slow water flow, improving water table saturation,
    some weeds purify water, and they all purify the air.
    Some weeds are alternative fuel sources,
    some weeds are round-up ready, (lol!)
    some weeds are used for lei,
    some weeds can ruin a lawn or fix one,
    and some weeds....
This reply was deleted.