Huaka'i I Na 'Aina Mauna

Huaka'i I Na 'Aina Mauna is a group of mostly Hawaiian National hikers (with and without the koko) and outdoor people. By the way - "Huaka'i" began when "the term" was not as popular as it is now. Originating in 2002 by Kawaipuna Sharp (Kamehameha '64) and myself (Kamehameha '54), specifically to do annual cultural superhikes on Hawai'i island over as many old and ancient trails and roads - being aware of the history, culture, traditions, environment, flora and fauna of the areas over which we wanted to "walk in the footsteps of our ancestors" - as possible. Aloha 'Aina was our principal guide. For instance, in 2002, our initiating hike, started at the ocean at Koholalele Landing, at Kukai'au, Hamakua coast, and went up the mountain. Yes, the mountain is Mauna Kea. It took us 3 plus days to reach the summit as we traipsed up the Umikoa Trail and onto the Kaula Trail. (I choose to use the Kaula spelling rather than the other possible Ka'ula spelling - as I believe it is probably represents more meaning and kauna in its original use). At the summit - we flew our flags - the flags of our Ko Pae 'Aina O Hawai'i nation - which activity has been documented, among other things, in Na Maka O Ka 'Aina's "Mauna Kea: Temple Under Siege." We have also observed the annual celebration of Restoration Day, at noon, every July 31,starting in 2003, at Mauna Kea's summit - at Kukahau'ula. The next 3 days were spent descending the mountain - down the Skyline Trail, then across part of Pohakuloa (Training Area), then along the Kona Highway (through Puuanahulu), then down the Puuanahulu-Kiholo Trail to Kiholo Bay - to Luahinewai (at the ocean, the pond where Keoua intentionally "lost his manhood" in preparation for his "not a perfect man" status that thwarted Kamehameha I's plan as the principal sacrifice for the dedication of Pu'uKohola heiau at Kawaihae. Yes, he was "sacrificed" but he wasn't the "perfect" man that was required for the "task." Anyway, not only have we crossed multiple aspects of the island, we are also working to completely encircle the island - trying to stay as close to the shoreline as possible - as trails make it possible. At other times, we do hike on the highways. Kapono Souza - who is the originator of the Makahiki processions on O'ahu was one of our charter members. 'Ohukani'ohia Gon and Kepa Maly have been a couple of our advisors. Ka'hoola Ching (a Hawaiian National hula student and chanter) has been our protocols person. We are an international organization - as Kawaipuna Sharp and Gerry Valiakas (Kamehameha '64), commuting from London (Kazakhstan at the moment) and Anthens, Greece, respectively are regular hikers. We have also included non-Hawaiians in our activities, with priority being given to Kanaka Maoli and Hawaiian Nationals. We usually hike in groups of 8 or so, but one year, we only hiked 3 on certain segments. One of our major accomplishments is that we completed the segment from Ke'auhou (south end of Ali'i Drive in Kailua-Kona) all the way past KaLae (South Point) - to Ka'alu'alu - and we will be doing future hikes towards Punalu'u and the so-called Volcanoes National Park - as we circle the island. This year - we will be finishing up another 2 cross island routes - the 29 miles on Saddle Road from the bottom of Mauna Kea Access Road - at Pu'uHuluhulu - to Hilo Bay. We will also close a small gap near Ahu A 'Umi (the place where Chief 'Umi staged his troops for an attack on Kailua, nestled in the saddle between Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa and Hualalai), then over Hualalai, through Kaloko mauka to the ocean at Honokohau (the harbor area). And, we will spend 3 days-2 nights at the beach, camping at Kapua - a most wonderful spot with so many cultural places, including many stepping stone trails, 4 miles south of Miloli'i - that we will hike into and out of. Gil Kahele will assist us in taking our ukana (food, water, tents, etc.) in and out by boat. I'm writing this to share our special activity - as our participation in practicing Aloha 'Aina - and not to find new recruits - as "Huaka'i" has been evolving towards an ohana and special friends' activity. However, if there are any very serious student-outdoors persons out there who feel very strongly about relating to the 'aina AND us - we would welcome you. Just remember that we are a "small" group and our activities (as we consider them) border on the sacred, and as we pay homage to the godsand goddesses of the 'aina, and those who have preceded us. Mahalo for allowing me to share our story. It is my wish that groups like ours could be organized and put into practice on all of the islands of Hawai'i Nei.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Aloha e Ku,
    My name is Puamana Crabbe KS 74. Ko'u papa used to take me on hikes from Mo'ili'ili to Manoa...I have always loved hiking since I was young, Makiki, Wa'ahila, Nu'uanu, Aiea, Ha'ena, Kaua'i....Of course as I got older & everyone else around me was so busy, was hard to go hiking....So any friends that i could go hiking w/was a treat....

Thru t/years & most recently, t/importance of malama 'aina has a greater significance as a Hawaiiana teacher (mahalo Aunty Nona!) I am a makua @ Stevenson & Jefferson Schools...& am looking for meaningful ways that I can teach my students, not just from na puke, but by ho'ohana.
    I went on a huaka'i to Likeke & Hi'ilaniwai Falls w/a small hui @ t/ NHEA conference several weeks ago @ WCC. We were all humbled by t/mana there.

I too, was inspired by Kapona Souza & his story of how he started his trek around t/islands as his way to carry on t/traditions...I would love to do that & honor na kupuna & imagine what our mokupuni & ahupua'a were like...I believe, in the na'au, one can see t/past.

I am so excited to have found a group of kanaka maoli ma who have an interest in malama 'aina a me huaka'i. I still have the desire to walk the areas of our kupuna, see their places & honor them in my own humble way. I would love to join your hui on your journey of wawae ku on O'ahu...

'Owau me ka ha'aha'a, Puamana Crabbe
    • Puamana,

I'm touched by your email.

I am confused though. I thought you were "the" Puamana Crabbe - of "Puamana." But you're too young to the "the" one.

However, there isn't a problem.

I can feel your mana - and it is good!

However, our "Huaka'i" has been restricted to Hawai'i island so far. And, although we had thoughts to cross all the islands - doing Hawai'i island is still a project "in the making." It is surely a "big" island (but I don't call it that - like all the others who do).

Kapono has been one of the ones who have participated with us - and have taken the idea further - to the Makahiki travels around O'ahu. I understand that his new wife and child need more of his attention - and he can't do nowadays what he used to do.

However, we'd love it if you would join us in our Huaka'i here on Hawai'i island. Kamehameha graduates have made up the nucleus of our group - and I hope it continues.

My daughter, Christi Maumau, KS '83 and my granddaughter, Lindsey Ching, KS '09 - I hope will carry on the tradition we are building when I get too old to hike. I'll just be the support crew and just fade away - but never gone.

Thanks for being a new friend.

ku
    • Aloha Ku,
      You are so funny,,,,of course I'm still young! I grad 20 yrs after you (Aunty Nani & Uncle Ernie Chan are your classmates)....So ironic, 20 yrs ago, people & customers thought i was so much older....i think they thought i was Aunty Irmgard....They always kept asking for the "real" Puamana, or the "older" one & some were either disappointed or just in shock that i was younger than expected! Now, that I am "older", people don't believe i am older?! I've been blessed w/ great genes (Hawn/Fil/Chi) & try to be pono in my life...I truly feel that it has slowed the aging process for me (& of course hair color doesn't hurt either)...

A most recent huaka'i that i had t/privilege of seeing w/t/ makua & Kupuna of Hawn studies program last year was up @ Kaniakapupu, in Nu'uanu. The kahu for that area took us on t/hidden trail & we got to see t/remains of t/stone structure that Kamehemeha 1 used as his headquarters. Remnants of the original aqueducts & water system were still there. Before it was overgrown as it is now, they held massive lu'aus & preparation for war there.

In any case, I will kukakuka w/Kapono & see if we can continue on O'ahu. I just saw Kapono, Judy & baby @ t/NHEA conference....They are all doing well.

I would love to join your hui on Hawai'i...Papa (Mogul, KS 48) lives in La'iopua, above Kealakehe. If & when I am planning to visit Hawai'i, you will be t/1rst to know....My daughter, Kaili Crabbe (KS 06) is in her 2nd yr @ NotreDame DeNamur U in Belmont, CA. We're planning to do a Waimanalo huaka'i when she gets home for t/summer....I should do some research of that ahupua'a.

Oh, after thought....my classmate, Pi'i La'eha who works @ The Maunalani was showing me the fishponds area that t/hotel was preserving. Have you been there?

Luhiluhi 'au, a hui hou,
      Puamana Crabbe (for real kine)
    • Hi Puamana,

Yep - Ernie is my classmate. I believe that Nani is a year younger.

As for you - and your youth - enjoy and flount it every chance you get.

Well, if I'm 20 years older than you - then you are pretty young. However, and I'm not really trying to flirt with you - I do like younger chicks. Must be my Pake blood. lol

As for Kaniakapupu - I was a kahu for the place early on. You might have gotten that idea of it somehow or other, maybe not.

I was one of the 2 people who initiated the paperwork to put it on the state and the national registers of historic places - in 1986. The other was Muriel Seto - who is famous for her work on Kawainui Marsh.

This was wayyyy back - when not many people knew of the place.

So, we were responsible for a lot of the early work. However, when I moved to Hawai'i island (around 1993), others arrived to take my place. And this is great.

So, now I'm concentrating on Mauna Kea. It is indeed a sacred mountain, and we want to limit the number of observatories up there. Yet - UH wants to build observatories all over the mountain. Result: We will have many battles.

You seem to be quite close with your daughter, Kaili. Any other kids?

My oldest daughter, Christi, graduated in '83 (I believe), so she is about 9 years younger than you.

I was wondering who your parents were. However, I've never met your dad.

However, I do remember a Richard Crabbe - who graduated around 1950 or so, maybe 1949. I'm getting a bit makule and can't remember all the details of the old days. lol

Well, this year - we will be hiking during the last full week in June. So if you want to join us then - put it on your calendar. There is a cost though - $150 for the week. If fewer days, then lower cost.

We're having people fly in to Hilo around 5:30 on Friday, June 20, and out from Kona around 5 on Sunday, June 29. I believe that plane fares may still be on the cheap side now, but I expect them to be raised soon.

I know Pi'i. Me and old girlfriend have been attending "Talk Story at Kalahuipua'a" off and on for quite a few years. I don't know if you know about it - but it is a monthly get together - usually on the Saturday night closest to full moon - and it's usually Hawaiian entertainment with music and hula.

Anyway, Pi'i is always around for that activity.

Well, it's nice to "talk" with you - after all this time. You seem to really be up on your Hawaiian stuff. That's great!

A hui hou,

ku
    • Aloha Ku,
      My youngest brother, Maurice grad '83 w/Christi. My parents are Mogul (KS 48) & Rose "Maka" (Pelayo) Crabbe (KS 52) Mama passed away in 2003. Kaili is my only child & studying towards a degree in Psycology.

I forget t/name of t/kahu @ Kaniakapupu, but i know they have a hui that does ho'oma'ema'e monthly...E mahalo 'au 'olua i ka pono ma Kaniakapupu. I am so thankful you & Muriel started preservation for that site....it is a treasure to behold...And of course, Chuck Burrows (who was my science teacher in hi sch) has done maika'i work on Kawainui Marsh....he is such a humble man & so focused!

Keep t/flame burning @ Mauna Kea...There are those who will take because it is there. I won't be able to join you this year....perhaps another time...I do want to hear about it after tho! I will mark it on my calender & pule that all goes well for t/hui.
      'Ae, next time I'm in Kona, will have to take in Kalahuipua'a....

He maika'i la,
      Puamana
This reply was deleted.