I've named this group after the first book on Hawaiian History, by the Lahainaluna scholars (my alma mater). I'm a Hawaiian History teacher at Kamehameha Kapalama, and I'll be writing a Hawaiian History textbook next year (on sabbatical). I'd like to explore the debated areas of Hawaiian History, get leads and spread 'ike to try to uncover our history, much of which is suppressed. Please join me.
Feel free to start new discussion topics, as there are limitless areas to do so in Hawaiian history.
E komo mai kakou!

Views: 180

Replies to This Discussion

Although I am not a "full-blooded" kanaka maoli, I donʻt believe that koko should be the most important aspect of these discussions. Yes, ties to the heritage via blood are significant, but I know plenty of part-Hawaiian people, in and outside my own family, who do not relate to the culture and the mindset in their daily lives. In my own experiences, there is a connection between the heritage and the mindset that really establishes someone as understanding who they are as a Hawaiian. Anyone with koko has a tie to the heritage, that is for certain, but what are the goals of (as an aside, are we not all other things, as well? Am I only a Hawaiian, or am I also a student, an employee, a brother, a son, a future husband and father? Can I not identify with the Chinese, the Japanese, the Irish, Scotch, Welsh and other aspects of my heritage?)

Unless someone comes from aliʻi bloodlines, I would imagine that keeping the blood pure is a pointless task, especially considering the current the very diversified state of nā kānaka maoli living in the here-and-now. Knowing also the racism that our aliʻi faced on their tours through the United States, it is of monumental importance that we do not allow issues of race to envelop otherwise productive discussion.

I say all this with respect for nā kanaka, and speaking only as a young Hawaiian man who is also trying to understand these many issues facing our people.
I find your words surprising.

May I ask what your source for your statement "an invasion of Tahitians that displaced the original indigenous Marquesans." Also, I hope that you are not making a comparison between the European genocidal warfare upon the American Indians with Hawai'i.

In addition, I find your statement of "true Hawaiians, we need to keep the koko pure," as haumia. WE are all human and this question of "purity" is sick and has been at the core of white nationalism and supemacy. It has never been a Hawaiian thought.
How are the lands and what is taking place today not our kuleana? In essence the "kuleana" is inherent. To imply it is not is unfounded.

Furthermore....to say "if we want it to be the kuleana of true Hawaiians, we need to keep the koko pure - the WASP infection comes both by culture and by blood." is misleading to say the least and quit frankly Eurocantrically arrogant and reaking of a superiority-complex reflective of the European RACISM that invaded the Americas and beyond 600 years ago.

We must all be cautious and fully understand that a lager "portion" of quantum is not only irrelevent, it is a paradox that can be used to manipulate our minds to reach the goal of genocide by those without the quantum.

Makal`ala
I truly agree with you on this. In my family and relatives, we were raised to be proud of our Hawaiian blood and also those of our other ethnicity. Without them, we wouldn't be here. Of course it would be ideal to fall in love and marry another Hawaiian; which does happen but it isn't crucial. What's important is that you find a good spouse who loves you unconditionally. What is important is our heritage and customs as well as our values to keep it alive; which we do. One cannot dictate who to marry. To know us is to love us and our culture. My vovo married my pure-blooded Hawaiian granddad and she felt she was Hawaiian, too! She pounded poi, ate Hawaiian food, spoke some Hawaiian, and I would tease her that she was Hawaiian by injection. Ahahaha! Of course she would admonish me for speaking so brazenly. LOL... naturally, I'm happy my mom fell in love with another part-Hawaiian since I love my Hawaiian culture and heritage; and I take pride of my other ethnicity which broadened my horizon and of which I can blame for my imperfections... Ahahaha! Only joking!

RSS

© 2022   Created by Ikaika Hussey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service