Ku'e Songs and Petitions!

Aloha mai kakou, I am looking for and researching ku'e songs during the time of the overthrow here in Hawai'i. I am also looking for any specific names or places where people would congregate and hold meetings for organizations such as Aloha 'Aina. I've had some great suggestions on some good songs to start with, but would love any other mana'o that you may have in helping me put together a format of songs for a creative project I am working on. Mahalo nui loa. E ola mau i ka mele Hawai'i! Hale Mawae Eo Lono!

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Aloha mai kakou! Mahalo nui for this new and excellent line of discussion -

Leilani Basham is probably one of the top experts on this, she just wrote a dissertation
    on Mele Lahui (diss in Hawaiian!) in Political Science at UHM - she is on Maoliworld, and is
    now a prof at UH West Oahu
    check her out
    • Yea, OMG, I just saw a presentation she did and it was AWESOME! I was blown away. If you are interested in mele aloha 'aina of that time period, you gotta talk to this sista.
      Aloha, Laulani
  • Aloha e Hale:

Oublished in 1895, Buke Mele Lahui, Buke I is a collection of such songs. The most famous is kaulana na Pua/Aloha Aina/ Ai Pohaku. Hawai'i aloha was also one which Hawaiians brought into their church to sing in defiance of the U.S. and it's American conspirators in Hawaii. It was a difficult time since many couldn't find work unless they signed an oath of allegiance to the false government sponsored by the U.S. While being suppressed, they found ways of protestting through music and what better way to do it then in their churches. It was regarded as a church hymn so no one gave them grief over it. LOL... Now it's sung more openly as a song of pride of Hawaii rather than a song of resistence that it actually is for the Hawaii Nationals.

Some of the songs praised the Queen, some of the insurgents led by Robert Wilcox, some about national pride. Diamond Head was also an area of distinction and a semi-symbol of rebellion against the US foreigners. Lots of kaona, too! Today's composers have added that theme to their lists and also revived some of the chants and songs for that purpose. There are the old songs of resistence and the modern day songs of resistence.
    • Mahalo nui loa for that mana'o Tane. I do actually have a lot of information gathered already on the Buke Mele Lahui, but am grateful and eager to hear new mana'o regarding thoughts as I construct my creative Ku'e project.

A hui hou. Malama pono

Hale Mawae
      Eo Lono!
    • Eia kekahi mele mai Kaua'i moku Mano no ka ho'okupa'a 'ana i ka pono o Lili'uokalani ko lakou ali'i

Eo e Lili'u, e Lolokuokalani
      'O he hiwahiwa ho'i na ka lahui
      Ka pua a Keohokalole,
      He wohi, he mamo, he ali'i ki'eki'e e,

Ka lani e Lolokulani e,
      Aloha 'oe, aloha nui,
      Ka leo keia ou maka'ainana
      'O Manokalanipo.

E ala Kaua'i moku ka'ili la
      Eia Kalani a kakou
      Lokahi ka mana'o a pa'a i ka pono
      I makia 'ia 'o Lili'u.