04/14/2008 @ 4:52pm I thought Langer's article provided a thoughtful overview of the historical and cultural context within which we must view the modern Hawaiian Sovereignty movement. Unfortunately, many people are ignorant--sometimes willingly--of that context. It's inconvenient, especially when a reactionary conservative stance is so much easier. You will see little to no reference to the historical details Langer addresses here in last year's article by George Will in the Washington Post. Kanawai Pono Honolulu, HI 04/11/2008 @ 08:33am THIS ONE: I think Langer's right. We were big bad imperialists and we should just give Hawaii back. After all, race is our bane, our shame, our disgrace, at least now that the Lousiest Generation had made it so, and to repent we should just plain give it back. In fact, let's give the West back too, since we stole that also, or better yet, the East Coast, especially Manhatten, since that deal was obviously an example of an unfair business practice resulting in excessive profit. You know what? What the hell, let's just all go back to Europe, where we belong. You know, back with the barbarians who drove us here in the first with their kings and religious persections and failed revolutions and bloody coups and wars and conquests and pograms. Damn us for daring to come here and make a better life for us and people around us. How dare we! Charles Thornton Reisterstown, MD

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.