Favorite Hawaiian author?

Hey again everyone, Just wondering if anyone had a favorite Hawaiian author from the newspapers that they liked to read. That way we can all share in the goodness of what they wrote. Plus, I think that Hawaiian authors don't get enough credit for their writing abilities, sometimes viewed more along the lines of native informant than highly-skilled, highly-knowledgeable wordsmiths. Anyway, I've always been partial to Kahikina Kelekona. My favorite thing he wrote is Ka Moolelo Oiaio o Kaluaikoolau, but I also liked some of the editorials he wrote while Koolau, Piilani, and Kaleimanu were up in the mountains. He also wrote "Kuu Nalohia ana" (I think that's the title) about how he disappeared for a few days and ended up going to this land of the dead and then came back (naked, if I remember correctly). It's such a strange story but so interesting. I also like Joseph Poepoe, not just his writing style, but his stance that learning Hawaiian history was a necessity for Hawaiians. Lastly, I like reading stuff that Kalokuokamaile wrote because my tutu guys from Keei would go listen to him talk. Alright, enough rambling from me. Hope to hear everyone's feedack:) me ke aloha, kamaoli

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• P.S. - Haven't got to the part where she mentions Kahikina Kelekona yet but I know he's in there cause I checked the index to see. :) Look forward to it though. :D
  • Aloha e Kamaoli. I'm reading Aloha Betrayed by Noenoe K. Silva. She mentions how Joseph Poepoe and others were inspired by the Kumulipo. I thought that was interesting since the Kumulipo was and is definitely important for Kanaka to know and have a sense of pride in their history. I'm not really familiar with any of the authors from those old newspapers but Aloha Betrayed familiarizes the reader with the different newspapers of the time and I found that part of the book to be extremely fascinating. The content of Ka Hoku o ka Pakipika was the resistance newspaper and I'm interested in anybody whose work appears in that one. Ka Moolelo Oiaio o Kaluaikoolau sounds like an interesting story. I wish I could read/speak/think 'olelo makuahine fluently. Sometimes I feel so out of touch...

Aloha ahui hou,
    ~*Kamea*~
  • I guess that if I were to pick a Hawaiian author as my favorite it would be Kepelino Keauokalani mainly for his articles on Hawaiian birds that he published in Ku`oko`a, but also for the information he gives on the cycles of the moon in his Traditions of Hawai`i. What I don't like though is his sometimes very Christian point of view on things which I think sometimes skews the validity of his opinion.
This reply was deleted.