There is a huge movement called Huna that has spread all across the globe in the New Age arena. I am wondering what are the opinons of this in the community of those who fallow the ways of their ancestors. In my understanding from most practitioners they have been some what stmiulated by this movement, yet don't see it as totaly true to any kahiko traditions. At some level all spiritual teaching have paralels and can be some what compatable, usualy cultural themes differ though. From one side we can see an Authentic Kahuna validating this movement and adapting her teachings to obsorbe a follwing by the Huna movement, Morna Simeona. We can also see many authentic practitioners of our culture contributed or were guest speakers at these seminars, from Goerge Naope and his Haumana Etua to Jon Kaimikaua, to Papa Owai (i forget how his name was spelled), and Papa Kalua both Kahunas, and many more of the underground arts taught at these seminars. Jon Kaimikaua once menchined that he didn't think their teaching was the hawaiian way, but I'm sure he used his platform to educate on what he did feel was hawaiian and didn't reject them out rightly for disagreeing with their version of Kahuna teachings. I believe this was the same posture most Maoli took when teaching these seminars. I can understand them teaching to this venue during times when the Kaona of hawaiian tradition was still under the labels of witchcraft by the missionary community and worthless nonesense by the scientific community. And the masses of our hawaiians caught up in modern world obsessions seeing no value in dabling in such things, after watching enough Hollywood as their role models. Once the traditional values were thouroughly stomped out of the hawaiian collective unconscious..(group mind) But of course all these dynamics in play there has been resurected intrest created by the Huna community into secerets of old hawaii. Yet obviously distorted to incoporate New Age concepts and culture by looking at the context. I know some feel it is prostituting hawaiian culture, others feel it is a teaching to fallow, and most don't even concern them selves with such things... Any perspective on this, from any angle would be recieved with out my judgment but i can not speak for others who might also respond.... I personaly believe the pono way is to understand others opinions rather then feel threatened or insulted by contrast. My Akua Aumakua can embrace diversity rather then feel the need to create a cookie cutter dictatorship. HO'O KU'U MANA'O

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  

My kumu is John W. E. Keanuenue Kaimikaua for 30 years.... I witness the power and grace of his knowledged and his respect for all people and traditions.  Ke Akua blessed John because of his humility and sent him Kawahinekapoheleikapokane she in return shared deep profound information and history of our people and their spiritual connection to God and their surroundings.  A wanana was spoken by the ancients and now it will be fulfilled by the generation at hand ( OUR Hawaiian children) who were given kuleana from beyond the veil to this present despensation.   The Huna and those who practice our kupuna traditions wish they had a true connection to our ancestors recipes and understanding...And those who think they have mana'o or connection used these for self gain and glorification, auwe no ho'i!!  Ive attended many of these gathering  and only a small few posses a love like our kupuna of old...These contemporary practitioner mix their philosophies and belief with our kupuna as if they understand our people and their traditions...but they know not.  I'm not saying you need to have the koko of the kupuna but the desire and love they practiced among themselves...word samantics and huna belong together for one reason to confuse, disconnect and Haki (break) The delightful, kind, specific and humble ones will find the tiny light mana'o'i'o truth and teach their children first community second and last the world...these tiny acts of faith open a doorway of great understanding for all people, therefore, be like the uala sweet unto the world but grows under the lepo...hush! MAN'S understanding, intellect and degrees do not comprehend Ke Akua work only comprehends man himself the brain can and will lie...however, Gods understanding is granted to a few those who listen first, ponder second and finally act upon it.... be silent and yet thunderest in your walk and talk only then shall Gods grace assist you. 

• E Kalani;
    How are you doing? As you know I spend most of my time on facebook and come back periodicly to see what is going down. Seems like, I come back to stupid, like this guy. I think the reason these idealistic people fight so much, is because they have no culture of their own, so run over and trample on someone elses, in the name of religion and it justifies his reason. But there is a saying, stupid is as stupid does and what, they need company. Sorry, dont play that game. But these kind of people need an outlet to peddle their BS. Sorry, dont play that game either. When they going to realize, enough is enough. Kalani, you take care and God bless luv ya
    Sharon
    • mahalo e Sharon. I've been away too but it was obvious a lot of activity here so had to be niele. Really not worth it as I see it.
      • I agree, people like Jungle Girl/Bradley Hall thrive on generating ire and discord among others, and devoting too much attention to them is a waste of time when we should be continuing to building what we believe in. Therefore I'd say let the friendless trolls of Maoliworld make their ineffectual noise...
  • What corner of the world are you talking about? We had a religion way before you. The Hawaiians believed in a higher source, he was called I'o. You built churches to house your religious beliefs, just as the Hawaiians built there heiaus for theirs. And again we are faced with the second coming, you. As I said before GO HOME, clean your own house, before you clean someone elses house. As Foster has said stop trespassing on our souls. Bye now and have a nice day.
    • so true Sharon! And the missionaries arrived & changed that style of thinking with the intent of making themselves known to be god-like, superior to the barbaric people.
      • Yeah I keep getting notifications that someone posted except he fails to mention pox infected blankets or the Spanish Inquisition brought up by Catholics. I don't want a GUY hiding under "Jungle Girl" to tell us what to do. Hello LOL I no like to read religious arrogance either sheesh.

BTW I decided to start the Kalo Project. That way all of us can have huli LOL I had so many people ask about my lo'i. Oh ulu too so we no starve :P
        • Funny you mentioned ulu...i thought, why not that too. Got my uala, kalo, but the kalo not good for eating b/c of where it's growing. Yet.
  • Aloha Bradley. Hope it isn't too late to respond to you.

Have you ever read "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Backpack" by Peggy McIntosh

http://www.uakron.edu/centers/conflict/docs/whitepriv.pdf

Fascinating.

I ask because a lot of your comments reflects a certain kind of social attitude that makes it hard for me not to react with anger and resentment. Why? Because as nice and sincere and honest as you seem to be trying to be, you come off as sort of condescending. It's frustrating when people go to Hawaii and are surprised to find actual human beings with real human problems, not magical mystical beings with no worries. But I quote Mr. Show, "A lot of people think a lot of things about Hawaii."

"Japanese society has not especially suffered at the hands of white men and i am just able to live and let live."

Perhaps the reason why you get on better in Japan is because Japan is actually part of the larger dominant culture of which you yourself are a part of and product of. The Ainu have suffered very greatly at the hands of the Japanese. The people you encounter and the culture that you experience is the culture that belongs to the invader, the oppressor, the occupier, the encroacher, the exploiter, the civilizer - the civilized.

In any event it's always good to leave a situation that isn't working for you, or that you are not doing any good by being there.

I hope you find, as you say, "more positive, accepting people". It's natural to want to surround yourself with people who's understanding is more in alignment with yours. But seriously, knowing the history and the issues of Hawai'i and the people, how positive and accepting are we really expected to be? More importantly, how receptive are we supposed to be of people who have a history of systematically destroying us and everything else in the world, even themselves? Are we supposed to want to be more like that?

If you engage yourself with the Ainu, the indigenous people of Japan, (that is if they haven't been completely displaced yet as I don't know what their current status is), I hope they receive you well and you them and that you fight hard for them and their landbase.
  • mahalo Bradley,
    I am not at all informed of your interest in the space that seems to be the context of your focus here.
    Your comments are well taken, in general, although the part about control of my mind is puzzling.
    Given my ignorance of your focus, I can say that I am not sure to what extent a master kumu / shaman etc, can or should be above "human" frailties. Perhaps you can.
    In the case of Hawaiian spirituality which underlies all cultural practices (Hawaiian), ho'oponopono (conflict resolution) is a fundamental, and that my friend, is real.
    aloha
This reply was deleted.