We Need Less, Rather than More, Taxes!

From "5 Min. Forecast" - “Frankly, it amazes me that we have allowed the [u.s., state, county] government[s] to tax us from the cradle to the grave,” another reader writes. “What's next? A tax at the time of conception? An invoice waiting for you once you’re ‘welcomed’ into the world? As citizens, we need to stand up and stop this nonsense. People in government are public servants and they need to start doing something for the public, besides taking their earnings. The sooner we start correcting the current situation, the sooner a lot of corruption, incompetence and greed of ‘public’ servants will stop.” ____________ Additions to the above are mine. ku

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• imagine 2 wise men who loves our hawaiian kingdom bicker as leaders, individual or organized!
    thats why we need a wise women to justify the fairness and bring justise to the laws, lands and people
    that resides on our hawaiian kingdom.
    • and yes we do welcome the wonderful knowledge of the men that is wise and has the highest respect
      to the wise women in lead.
      • Yes I agree, I am always encouraging women to take leadership positions in the movement. There is far to many men at the head of this process. The balance is definitely lacking here and I have worked to bring wahine and kane together with small success.

So yes more Wahine would help the mana'o

kai
  • Mr. Landow!
    I am hardly a "poor woman" and neither am I Ku Ching.

I write in my own words, my own voice, and I am frankly appalled that you think a woman cannot possibly be addressing you, on her own initiative and from her own convictions.

Frankly, it's the first time I've ever been mistaken for a man. Has that ever happened to you?

I know Ku well. He and I and David Igham co-authored "America's Tibet" together, back in 2004, printed in Hawai'i Island Journal. We've been in contact ever since. Therefore I knew about the New Hampshire secessionist conference, attended by Ku and others (including you - he gave up some of his own speaking time so you could speak).

Anyway, I suppose that in some weird way you thinking I'm Ku could be construed as a compliment. I guess you might feel humiliated to "take it on the chin" from a woman, but, frankly, that's what's happening.

Unfortunately, you have gone from one absurdity to the next in this series of posts. You might want to stop now, before you expose yourself anymore as a person sometimes given to oddly misplaced errors of perception and judgment, as I so kindly suggested in the last post.

On the other hand, this is kind of fun, and while I don't usually respond to people who act like internet "trolls" or particpate in "flame wars," you unfortunately make it too easy for me to have a few laughs at your expense. So, please do keep going if it suits you. Our friends here on Maoli World may find it instructive, if not amusing.
    • Amy,

I do like how you twisted my point of proxy and made a male female issue. You have this condescension down pretty well too. The description of New Hampshire is also inaccurate. He asked me to speak. so when you speak authoritatively I can not only assume it is with conversation with Mr. Ching.

It is this gathering of information that can only suggest a meeting of minds with Mr. Ching.

But make no mistake this is a deadly serious business and you have failed to address my concerns and by casting aspersions you insult us. We do not have time to waste on this propaganda that chooses to make me the issue.

A'ole no pulule wala au! makemake man'o no maika'i e au. auwe Ku e Amy la au pau. Pau hana o pilau.

A'ole This is hana that hurts the subjects of the Hawaiian Kingdom and those who choose to Ho'ohiki to America we aloha as well. But do not monkey wrench us expect us to sit by and take it.

pau

• Your statement-As citizens, [which country?]we need to stand up and stop this nonsense. People in government are public servants and they need to start doing something for the public, besides taking their earnings. The sooner we start correcting the current situation, the sooner a lot of corruption, incompetence and greed of ‘public’ servants will stop.”

Your answerMy leadership? Sorry - I have no leader. However, I am Onipa'a with the Queen and all she stood for and hoped for. Where are you?

Get rid of this post Clarence Ching, it only tells about your personal confusion.
    • I am so sorry to read these insulting posts directed at Clarence Kukauakahi Ching, a man with some of the least personal confusion on matters of culture and independence as any.

You say you don't know this elder activist, Mr. Landow. Well, you should. Ku (Clarence Ching) is the only individual in the islands who continues to place himself - as an individual! - on the front line against further desecration of Mauna Kea in the actions and lawsuits against more telescope development. Other people fighting this fight are doing this as members of organizations. For Ku to participate as an individual in these lawsuits means, for those who purport to know legal matters, that he will share responsibility - personal liability - for legal expenses, along with the organizations like KAHEA, Royal Order of Kamehameha (on Hawai'i island), etc. should this fight lose in courts. He is not a rich man to do this, just a stubborn one who has deep reverence for the mountain. He continues to stand firm against some major powers with deep pockets: the folks behind TMT, UofH, etc.

As a former lawyer, Mr. Ching knows exactly what he's doing in standing up like David to the telescope "Goliaths." He also has been known to use his legal background when considering other matters, such as in his long-standing activism in fighting against the many versions of the Akaka bill. For an account of one small part of his activity in opposing those bills, Mr. Landow, I suggest you watch "Doing it All with Clarence Ching" on Voices of Truth, both episodes. The one with Ku alone, and the one where he is interviewed together with Leon Siu.

His personal commitment to independence is unshakeable, and he personally lives with as little to do with American occupation as possible - very, very lightly on the land and thus is particularly unbeholden. As an elder, he now has decades of involvement in promoting Hawaiian culture and activism - including some of the first work done in bringing preservation to sacred places such as Kaniakapupu and Uluhaimalama. In the late 70's, he produced a documentary, The 'Aina Remains, which (among other things) told the true story of the protest planting of the garden of Uluhaimalama and the event to dedicate it as a landmark, which was something he helped to organize. Now, others, such as Baron Kaho'ola Ching and Lynette Cruz, have taken up this kuleana and help to continue the work of organizing people to continue caring for these places on a regular basis.

Ku is well known among many of the elder cultural practitioners and activists, and a good many of the younger ones too, who would be shocked at your disrespectful remarks. Many of them are here on MaoliWorld. Also, many people are related to each other - and if there's one thing I've learned, it's that family runs deep and stretches wide here and if you offer an insult to one, it may end up an insult to many. Ku has quite a few cousins here on MaoliWorld, including some of the most vocal activists. Do you know who they are?

Finally, Ku has his strong connection to the Queen, and is also pono with the land. He has walked more miles of Hawai'i island than most, across very rugged terrain, and in doing that has an intimate relationship with the 'aina. He has been leading an annual huaka'i with whoever cares to show up, exploring places that were used by na poe kahiko. This is just a fraction of what he does and has been doing for years, without fanfare.

I could not let your posts on this thread pass without comment. I also want to add the thought that nothing pleases the occupying powers more than to see their opponents arguing among themselves. So in the future, please, Mr. Landow, show some respect to the kupuna you are addressing.
      Amy Marsh
      • "Ku (Clarence Ching) is the only individual in the islands who continues to place himself - as an individual!" - on the front line against further desecration of Mauna Kea in the actions and lawsuits against more telescope development. Other people fighting this fight are doing this as members of organizations.

No offense but there are many Hawaiians in the islands like KU who stand alone and are not members of organizations that indemnify them of personal responsibility.

Ku has done great work. So has Kai. BOTH men have done some GREAT things. However this can happen when men are involved. (They fight.)

BTW Kai this is why I do not like it when non-oiwi get involved in the "front lines" of being catalysts to righting the wrongs

--- because WHEN they do it becomes about THEM instead of on the issue(s) and are distractions at the tasks and work at hand.

• Aloha Lana

You are exactly right here. this is a waste of time and off the point. I will endeavor to stay pono and discuss pertinent issues.

Kai
        • This of course one of my main concerns about Clarence Ching is he answers to no one and goes from a Kingdom claims to an American one. When asked to lokahi with the independence movement he told me he was a "Cultural Practitioner" and did not support us. OK then he should keep to his own kuleana and have our Aloha and respect.

auwe
This reply was deleted.