Qualifications of a Kupuna???

as a child i was chosen to have the oppurtunity to have had the Honor to be raised by my Na KUPUNA's of this Kingdom of Maui Nui. mary pukui, described Kupuna as grandparent or ancestor. a few days ago i had a conversation with non-hawaiians that claimed to be Kupuna's. they had NO Kupuna relatives, NO ahupua'a, and NO raising of Kupuna's and definite NO Mana of a Kupuna and yet identifies themselves as Kupuna's. They were from the mainland and what made them Kupuna's was their age over 50 years old. my living Na Kupuna's taught me that a Kupuna, have had to be raised with the culture and traditions of our people the Kanaka Maoli's and most was raised from a very young age as myself. Kupuna was defined as a native Hawaiian cultural traditional elder by my ancestors, that had deep knowledge of our history and lived the HA (breath of life) of their Ahupua'a. however, there is a difference with being a Senior Citizen and identifing oneself as a Kupuna due to the age qualification. Being born and raised in hawaii does not qualify one as a Kupuna because of the age, but one who identifies one self as a Kupuna has the responsibility to teach the next generations to come of the culture and traditions of what was taught by our grandparents and ancestors.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• God is not impressed with titles .

• How do you know that god is not impressed with titles? Do you know him?  If so when you see him tell him that I am impressed with the title of "Happy New Year" and Peace on Earth!

It is difficult to teach the next generation, but we do it cause we care--not by titles.  I believe this is what was intended to!

By the way, I do believe that your bloodline here in Hawaii did many devastating things to the first people.  I would appreciate the acknowledgement of what wrongs were done.  It is inexcusable!  I too, have white missionary bloodline and I always seek out the good that was done and if their was any difference I would acknowledge that too in a flash!

To date, all white lines were loyal to Liliu and her Kingdom!

I am standing on a political decision of the 'bloodquantum' because there are 40,000 plus native Hawaiians on a wait list and can disappear off the face of the earth at a snap of a finger.  So, as I said it is a political position not a natural Na Kupuna tradition of our ancestors aina that I hold in my heart. 

Yes too, we ought not serve two masters too!  In this hypocrite moment I am guilty of such!

• Do You read the Bible ???   Read it read what the scriptures say . I like where it says we all have fallen short of the Glory of God .... Also where he says he is so disgusted with his creation he wants to spew us out of his mouth puke us out that is how sick God is of his Creation .. 

• Mahalo, Mahalo, Mahalo Kauhi Hoopii--mihi

Kaohi
  • As I read the comments posted by each individual about this specific forum, I do so in respect to each and every single persons beliefs. I sense the passion in each of your concerns and hope that I do not offend in any way. As to the question of, "What are the qualifications of a Kupuna", let me first state the definition as given by Pukui in the Hawaiian dictionary:
    1. Grandparent, ancestor, relative or close friend of the grandparent's generation, grandaunt, granduncle. hoʻo.kupuna To take a person as a grandparent or grandaunt or granduncle because of affection; an adopted grandparent; to act as a grandparent. (PPN tupuna.)

Literally, Kupuna means grandparent and those of that age group and generation. In both Hawaiian and western culture, it literally means grandparent and those of that generation, whether or not you have grandchildren or not. Yes there are many who consider themsleves to be kupuna because of the age factor. As the princess has stated, does this mean they are kupuna? In no way am I correcting you princess or judging and the same goes with Roberta.
    If you look at Pukui's definition: "To take a person as a grandparent or grandaunt or granduncle because of affection" I believe she has touched upon something very important and true to the heart. The key word being "AFFECTION". Any person, no matter what age, being male or female who would associate themselves with such a person and consider them very close because of affection has in their own way determined that this particular individual has qualities that can be admired. It means that the kupuna figure has had a positive effect on ones life meaning that there was some show of Aloha whether by action, words, or simple silent example. Any positive effects can be seen as a teaching lesson to the younger individual. The second part of Pukui's definition I would also like to focus on is when she says: To "ACT" as a grandparent.

Indira Gandhi the former priminister of India once said, "There are 2 kinds of people in the world; Those that do the work, and those that take the credit, and it's better to be in the first group because there is much less competition!" You can have a lot of people who say and talk a big show, but it comes right down to, "If you talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk!"

In my opinion, if an individual who is of the grandparent age, whether or not he or she is Hawaiian is "ACTING" and actively teaching others of the same age, or younger, good, quality ways of living, as well as teaching young ones to respect others as well as ones self, that is the only way people will have "affection" toward that kupuna. There is no way one would have any type of affection for another unless there was some acts of kindness or love. That being said, one absolutely cannot have affection for another if there is any small hint of negative. If there is negativity, then there is no love, but furthermore the lack of respect for another individual. If a person portrays any negative way of life, then that person would fall under the category that the princess is talking about. I would not consider that person to be kupuna because he or she is not living the true Hawaiian lifestyle or respecting themselves. They talk the talk, but are not close to even walking the walk. If one has no respect for themselves, they have no business trying to teach others. I would have no, none what so ever, respect for someone who did not teach me correct principles or lead by example.

Another comment about kupuna. It is all in the way that a person is raised. What does it mean to, "BE HAWAIIAN"? It is not the fact that we live in Hawaii. It is not the fact that we were born there. It is not the fact that we moved from the mainland and chose to live in Hawaii for 10 years and that makes us Hawaiian. It is not the fact that we learned to surf, learned a few words in pidgin like "brah" and "shaka" that make us Hawaiian. Being Hawaiian is "A LIFESTYLE". It is the silent way we carry ourselves, and it is the silent way in which people notice us because we are different, and we carry the Aloha spirit wherever we go, and to whomever we come in contact with each and every day.

This generation of Hawaiians and also non Hawaiians being raised now has mad me very sad. I was raised by my parents and kupuna to always respect my elders even if I did not know them. ANYONE who is older should always be given respect, didn't matter. No calling them by first name, always getting up out of your seat to give them a seat, always asking if they needed help or a drink, or anything else to make them comfortable. You don't see that in this generation. I had affection for my makua kane, and makua hine, and kupuna because they taught me how to be a good individual by burning positive things into my head and into my life. I have had individuals not related to me who like many of us, we call uncle and aunty because we respect them, teach me by their words and example. Many of them were not born in Hawaii, many of them were not even Hawaiian, but I still consider them Kupuna because they ACTED like kupuna by teaching me how to respect and love.

Princess, you are right when you say in order to be kupuna they must have been taught in the ways of our ancestors What better way to be raised because of the hard work and trials they went through in order for us to learn what it is to be Hawaiian. How I love your passion for our Hawaiian culture. I believe we must also learn from many other cultures as you have said in other forums, and heard the words of Tane:
    the wisdom you contain in your mind is beyond ones imaginary. you are yes one of a kine that holds the key
    to many topics of dicussion. i was raised with my kupuna kahiko's (ancestors) and i listened to them intently giving mea cultural enlightenment of traditional wisdom however you get yours from many different writters and examples of experiences in this system of our chaos of times.
    again may your knowledge be given to your next generation for the rarity of what you share is amazing to hear.
    i always look forward to hear what you have to say on a discussion, you broaden the minds of wonders and
    make one think of the facts and findings that you expose to us. mahalo Ke Akua.

Like Tane, I have have traveled much all over the "big island of America" but in each of the places that I have lived and traveled, I have learned much about other people's culture be it positive or negative. Because I have had a good upbringing, I have never strayed from the positive ways of life and my upbringing. We can learn from others, especially the older generation who have lived and experienced life. We can consider them kupuna if they teach and lead by positive example. I hope that we can take a positive look at good and righteous things and grow from these.

Roberta, I love your passion also and I know the love you have for the Hawaiian culture. We must all learn from our kupuna because it is priceless. How I wish I did not take my tutu wahine for granted, but I know that her teachings will always be with me. I have never strayed away from her teachings of respecting myself and others. We must use these teachings to now raise this new generation and teach them what it is to be "Hawaiian" for without that, we will all fail.

Aloha,
    Kauhi
    • Aloha Kauhi,

From the look of the picture (I assume it is you) you appear to be young man. You have such great wisdom for one so young. Your words are carefully thought out and your message well put and clear. Mahalo for your manao.

Nohealani (a Kupuna)
      • aloha kauhi,

you look like the same age as me???

i just did my mo'okuauhau on my grandpapa Antone Keanu Kaina from
        Wailuanui Valley in Keanae,Hana, Kingdom of Maui Nui.
        and his mothers name, my great grandmama's name was Agnes Hoopii
        that was on his death certificate???
        Do you know this side of the Hoopii ohana from Keanae, Hana, Maui???..................................~da princess~
        • princess, I am sad to say I don't know much of my ohana on the Ho'opi'i side. I am sure we are all related somehow. My dad was born in Kalawao Moloka'i but was taken from his parents at an early age because of his parents contracting Leprosy. My tutu kane and wahine were both buried at Kalaupapa. Not sure where the family went from there. I will have to research.
          My tutu wahine on my mom's side of the family lived in Keanae for years. She raised her family in Olowalu but after my tutu kane passed, she remarried Sam Kuoha and lived in Keanae right across the street from Uncle Harry Mitchell.
          • aloha kauhi,

mahalo for responding. i have had the responsibility to pass my immediate ohana mo'okuauahu to my two daughters, both in their early twenties. they are now searching our Momona, Kaleo, Kumaewa and Kaina ohanas on this Kingdom of Maui Nui and then the other Kingdom Islands of Hawaii Nei.
            Hoopii and Kahue surnames also showed up on birth as well as death certificates and baptism certificates. it is alot to focus on due to the fact that most of our kupuna kahiko (ancestors) names has
            been changed to an engilsh version with in the life time of our ancestors (momona to momosea), (Niihau to Niibran), (Kaina to Kahan)......With todays technology and with proper education with time,
            my 2 daughters is amazing me with new information every week, so I can share it with our immediate ohanas at our Mo'okuauhau Ohana meeting held every 2 weeks in a month.
            i will keep your ohana surnames in mind and share findings with you as it appears before me, i believe Kaohi, if you ask, it will be given, if you seek, it shall be found and if you knock the doors of oppurtunities will be opened.....................................mahalo Ke Akua...........................~da princess~
    • aloha kauhi,

just to add to your discussion, that there is a difference between a kupuna, grandparent of other culture and a senior citizen. and the difference is our culture and traditions. with in the plantation days of immigrants, the grandparents of japanese is obasan, in filipino apo man or apo lady, in the chinese pake san and in the western american grandfather or grandmother. no were would the hawaiian word "Kupuna" be found in any of these other culture usage of language refering to a grandparent, only in our hawaiian language. so as a kanaka maoli, it is within our generation that we honor the correction of the usage of our hawaiian language. for i never hear the word OBASAN (a japanese grandparent), ever be addressed to another culture out of respect for it is only recognized towards a japanese elder, likewise what an example of word usage of a Kupuna, which should be Honored and Respected only to a native hawaiian cultural traditional elder, period. this is home grown trainning by my kupuna kahiko (ancestors) of this Kingdom of Maui Nui.
      many Blessings and correct knowledge of our Kupunas, our native hawaiian cultural traditional elders. ~da princess~
This reply was deleted.