Comment by Janos (Keoni) Samu 4 minutes ago

Aloha mai kakou,

Published in The Garden Island on Sunday 7.10.2011

The deception continues

The front page report of TGI (7.7.2011) quoting Senator Malama Solomon continues the nurturing of deceptive information about native Hawaiians. The Senator’s statement “Every generation of Native Hawaiians since the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom in 1893 has struggled with not legally being recognized as equals” is an insult to the kanaka maoli. It is coming from a non-native Hawaiian, who does not seem to know or understand the culture of the original people of this land. I have been meeting with native Hawaiians on a daily basis, and I have not yet met any who wanted to be equal with those who stole their land and have been occupying their country. Of course not, because they have always been on a higher moral ground. It was not the recognition they have been struggling with since 1893, but the various limitations, restrictions and discrimination imposed upon them by their occupiers. Non-Hawaiians tell them what to do and even how they should feel. The new bill was signed into law by a non-Hawaiian governor, and it was not designed, nor submitted by Native Hawaiians. The genocidal blood quantum imposed on American Indians, native Alaskans, and on Hawaiians was concocted by the white men in the Bureau of Indian Affairs with the objective to make the indigenous races gradually extinct. In Hawai`i the biggest supporter of the bill has been the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, which is an agency of the de facto State of Hawaii, and this agency by their oath must follow the course set out by the occupiers. Even with passing this bill, the non-Hawaiian governor will do the qualifying of the Hawaiians. He will pick and choose those who are allowed to create a roll of qualified Native Hawaiians and others who maintained significant cultural, social or civic connections with them. Oh, yes, there might be a few Hawaiian brothers or sisters, who have been mislead or misguided by the government financed propaganda, and momentarily think that the new bill will serve them, but soon they will wake up when they, or their children marry a non-native Hawaiian, by which their children or their descendants will no longer make the blood quantum. Is there a solution? Yes, there is. Do what the Native Hawaiians say: “We don't need any handout, just want our independence back, and let us decide who is Hawaiian, and which direction we take, and we will make Hawaii a peace-loving, prosperous, independent country again. We don't need your military here; unlike you, we'll promote peace instead of wars.” You want proof? Let’s collect signatures. In two days my Hawaiian brothers and sisters and I will come up with at least 1000 signatures from Hawaiian nationals who stand behind the above statement and give their consent to publish their names and addresses. At the other end let anyone come up in two days with the signatures of Hawaiian nationals who want the U.S. occupation of Hawai`i to be continued and prefer the laws imposed upon them by the de facto Hawaiian state, and they consent to the publication of their names and addresses.  I can assure you that the numbers will speak for themselves, and for Hawai`i.

János Keoni Samu

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.