I want to talk about something that has bothered me for a long time. By no means am I trying to call anyone out or even diss them in anyway. I'm just sharing my point of view on things.

Over the years I've noticed a lot staking claim to be king or queen and calling these lands 'theirs'. I am not going to debate anyone's lineage. I don't feel that anyone should challenge another person on those facts for any other reason than to educate and share. My feelings for so many laying claim lies in the fact that without heirs being named, the position would go to vote by the people.

I think this is something we all need to think carefully about. Discussions range from when Hawaii is free will we go back to a monarchy and if so, to who? It's a very dangerous question. Almost all of us can trace our roots back to Ali'i, and as many know just from these boards, we are all related in some shape or fashion. When the time comes for us to answer this question are we ready to look at things not just by tradition, but also by the strength we want our nation to move forward with to continue to perpetuate a strong Hawaiian Kingdom?

Views: 984

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aloha kaua e Kalani.

I have been married for a long long time so their personal insults are amusing LOL I knew you would laugh though LOL Always gotta try change the subject instead of focusing on the fact that Kamehameha got her in her na'au and is now ill for speaking ill of him and his WARriors.

The Battle of Nu'uanu: http://www.pacificworlds.com/nuuanu/native/native2.cfm

Credit: Herb Kane

BTW Molokai pule o'o LOL

E malama pono.
So pilau I swear.

Notice she's cussing in Hawn., but only for a good reason. She knows the mana w/in you. Pule oo! Not pupule, but pule oo. :)
Aloha kaua e Kalani.

I know yeah??? She pupule and the insane and idiots CANNOT serve. She has NO JURISDICTION though she purports to be speaker of the House:

"ARTICLE 25. No person shall ever sit upon the Throne, who has been convicted of any infamous crime, or who is insane, or an idiot."

MY main land is

and

She recently fell ill for a reason. They got her in her na'au ;)

LONG LIVE THE HAWAIIAN KINGDOM. Eo!

Credit: Herb Kane

MLPA Initiative Violates American Indian Religious Freedom Act, UN Declaration

Published on May 26, 2010 - 8:03:15 AM

Email this article Printer friendly page
By: Dan Bacher

May 26, 2010 - Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Initiative has brazenly violated the American Indian Religious Freedom Act (AIRFA) and the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, passed by the UN General Assembly in September 2007.

Passed by both houses of Congress, AIRFA became law on August 11, 1978, spurred by the American Indian Movement's Longest Walk from San Francisco to Washington, D.C. that year. The act recognized the "inherent right" of American citizens to religious freedom; admitted that in the past the U.S. government had not protected the religious freedom of American Indians; proclaimed the "indispensable and irreplaceable" role of religion "as an integral part of Indian life"; and called upon governmental agencies to "protect and preserve" for American Indians their inherent right to practice their traditional religions.

AIRFA states, "it shall be the policy of the United States to protect and preserve for American Indians their inherent right of freedom to believe, express, and exercise the traditional religions of the American Indian, Eskimo, Aleut, and Native Hawaiians, including but not limited to access to sites, use and possession of sacred objects, and the freedom to worship through ceremonials and traditional rites."

The MLPA process has violated this historic law by banning the Kashia Pomo Tribe from practicing their religion by gathering seaweed and shellfish and conducting ceremonies at their sacred site, Danaka, in northern Sonoma County. In the Kashia Pomo's creation story, Danaka (Stewarts Point) is the place where the tribe first walked on land.

The sacred site is located in a so-called "marine protected area" that was part of a package of reserves that the California Fish and Game Commission voted 3 to 2 for on August 5, 2009, in spite of vocal opposition by the tribe, fishermen and environmental justice advocates.

"They're interfering with our religion, the food that we lived off before the white man came," said tribal elder Violet Chappell during a blessing ceremony off Danaka on April 30, the day before the May 1 closure, hosted by landowner Arch Richardson.

The gathering on a bluff overlooking the ocean drew 145 people, including members of the Kashia Pomo and other California Indian Tribes, recreational anglers, seaweed harvesters and environmental justice advocates to thank and bless the ocean for the food it has provided to native peoples for thousands of years.

"We used this food every day – we call it health food," Chappell stated. "The food was created by our creator - we treated it with care and respect. We are here to say respect us for our food - don't close this area down because it's part of our religion."

"I don't think the Fish and Game Commission would be allowed to close down a Catholic Church, would they?" she asked.

Article 32, Section 2, of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People mandates "free prior and informed consent" in consultation with the indigenous population affected by a state action (http://www.iwgia.org/sw248.asp).

It also says, "States shall provide effective mechanisms for provention of, and redress for: Any action which has the aim or effect of dispossessing them of their lands, territories or resources."

Ken Wiseman, MLPA Initiative executive director, and the California Fish and Game Commission violated the UN declaration by never consulting with Kashia Pomo and other tribal leaders over the closure of a sacred site. They also provided no mechanism for redress of this grievance.

The National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) in October 2009 passed a strongly worded resolution blasting the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) process for failing to recognize the tribal subsistence, ceremonial and cultural rights of California Indian Tribes.

"The NCAI does hereby support the demand of the tribes of Northern California that the State of California enter into government to government consultations with these tribes; and that the State of California ensure the protection of tribal subsistence, ceremonial and cultural rights in the implementation of the state of Marine Life Protection Act," the resolution stated.

The MLPA, a law passed by the Legislature and signed by Governor Gray Davis in 1999, has been hijacked by oil industry, real estate, marine development and other corporate interests under the Schwarzenegger administration. MLPA officials have completely taken water pollution, oil drilling, habitat destruction and other human uses of the ocean other than fishing in this bizarre parody of marine "protection."

Wiseman and his collaborators constantly claim that the MLPA process, funded privately by the Resources Legacy Fund Foundation, is "open and transparent," but the only thing "open" about the initiative is how it has openly violated the American Indian Religious Freedom Act and the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People. Not only has it broken these federal and international laws, but until recently MLPA officials openly defied the state of California's Bagley-Keene Open Meetings Act and the First Amendment of the U.S.Constitution by barring reporters from covering "work sessions" of the process with video and audio recording equipment.

It was only after an outpouring of outrage by civil liberties advocates and journalists over the arrest of David Gurney, independent journalist, as he filmed an MLPA "work session" that Wiseman decided to finally obey the law.

For more information about the violation of indigenous subsistence, cultural and religious rights under the MLPA, go to: http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/content.php?r=221 and Violet Wilder's facebook page, "KEEP THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA BEACHES ACCESSIBLE FOR THE COASTAL TRIBES" (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=105945012781743).

E Miss Lolo Pilau who didn't even know who Naihe is. CHIEF counselor to Kamehameha and descendant of Queen Lili'uokalani on her maternal Keohokalole side

You recently feel ill. He hoailona.

Kamehameha and Naihe got you in your pilau na'au.

Long live the HAWAIIAN Kingdom.

Eo!
Ouch, ma ka naau huh. lol

The thing about those charts like the one you posted shown in the Queen's book, is that, at least my own feeling is that some people don't understand how those are read. Maybe, maybe if they were to read how it was written in its original form or understand how Hawaiian genealogies are recited, maybe that could shed some light into interpretation?

For example, the part about Naihe on that chart could be, if it hasn't already, misconstrued as Naihe's parent as Keohohiwa, if people dunno how to read that style of genealogy. And yes, got some who dunno. lol They don't understand what the Queen wrote is saying that Keaweaheulu and his wife Ululani had a daughter - Keohohiwa and a son Naihehaiha. Naihe married Kapiolani and he was an orator during the king's time.
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/liliuokalani/hawaii/hawaii.h...

And for those who assume that John Smith is only one John Smith, rather than realizing that there could be many, with Naihe's wife Kapiolani, she was the daughter of Keawemauhili and Kekikipaa, in case some people may confuse her with Queen Kapiolani who was named after her grandpa Elelule's half sister - Kapiolani. Elelule was ALSO, a son of Ululani. Ululani was married to both Keawemauhili and Keaweaheulu.

This reminds me of AhChing, when he confused the Ruling Chiefs of Hawaii as an actual genealgy written by Kalakaua in his book when it was actually a list of ruling chiefs of Hawaii from Lilioa, and this was in the narrative portion of the book written by a cabinet member of Kalakaua.

Case in point would be it listed Kamehameha I, followed by Kamehameha II, then Kamehameha III, then Kamehameha IV, then Kamehameha V. Again, it listed the rulers, but AhChing saw it as a GENEALOGY. WTF? Kamehameha II and III were both sons of Kamehameha I, but Kamehameha I also had a daughter - Kinau and she gave birth to Kamehameha V who was older than her other son Kamehameha IV. lol NOT a genealogy....people need to understand what they read. Most importantly, they cannot tell others that they're wrong and then diss the aliis in the process.

Flash back to this:
http://www.maoliworld.com/profiles/blogs/e-ola-ia-keanolani-kanahoahoa
Why the BP Blowout Won't Be the Last Tragedy in the Gulf of Mexico
June 7, 2010

The BP Gulf Oil Gusher has shown the whole world the nightmarish risks of deep sea drilling. But there is another, older, story of environmental destruction in the Mississippi River Delta wetlands—and it, too, is related to offshore drilling. This tragedy will continue long after BP's well is shut down, and it's another accident just waiting to happen.

As long as we demand oil,
oil companies will venture into ever-trickier waters to find it.The first offshore well was drilled in fourteen feet of water off the coast of Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana in 1937. In the decades that followed, a dense infrastructure was thrown up to support a booming offshore oil business—which was rapidly moving into ever-greater depths. Some 30,000 to 40,000 miles of underwater pipeline were laid—maps show a dense thicket of infrastructure—and navigational canals were cut through the wetlands for shipping. Most of these pipelines and canals that service the roughly 4,000 active wells in the Gulf were built long before environmental laws were passed and agencies were created to protect the wetlands. This oil infrastructure has cost Louisiana dearly, and it will threaten the Gulf coast for years to come.

Since the early 1900s, Louisiana has lost 2,300 square miles of wetlands to the sea, an area roughly the size of Delaware. Paul Harrison, a senior director in EDF's Ecosystems program, explains several causes of the state's vulnerability.

First, the Mississippi River has been separated from the wetlands by the levees and jetties that were built to keep shipping channels open. Fresh river water, carrying its rich load of sediment and nutrients, no longer reaches and replenishes the wetlands. Along with the infrastructure that supports the offshore drilling industry, this has severely compromised the resilience of the Delta ecosystem.

Louisiana's Shrinking Coastline
Since 1930, 1.2 million acres of coastal wetlands have been lost. (Maps: Courtesy Windell Curole, SLLD/Joe Suhayda, LWRRI)Second, the straight, wide industrial canals have disrupted the hydrology—the water flow—of the wetlands. Normally, bayous are full of small, winding channels that keep saltwater from running inland. The manmade canals, in contrast, serve as conduits for seawater, which kills the freshwater marsh vegetation that holds the land together, leaving it to wash away with the tides.

Third, the Geophysical Research Letters will soon publish a paper revealing that the pipeline along the seafloor of the Gulf of Mexico, much of it old and decaying, is extremely vulnerable to hurricane-induced currents. In 2004, during Hurricane Ivan, sensors placed on the ocean floor showed that underwater currents put considerable stress on the oil infrastructure. More hurricane-resistant design of this infrastructure is needed before the next crisis erupts.

And the last, and largest, problem for the Mississippi River Delta wetlands is global warming. In low-lying places like Louisiana, you have to consider relative sea level rise. Because the land is subsiding at the same time that the ocean is rising, Louisiana faces the most severe consequences of climate change.

Lance Nacio's story vividly illustrates the impact of land subsidence in the Delta. For more than a century, his family has owned a couple of thousand acres of freshwater marshland, about thirty to forty miles inland, in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana. His grandparents lived off the land—they were self-sufficient. They raised cattle for food, grew crops and fished, hunted duck commercially, and trapped animals like nutria, muskrat, otter and mink to sell to furriers. They carved dugout canoes out of large old felled trees. Photographs from the forties and fifties show a land so fertile that, as Nacio says "it breaks your heart to see it, compared to how it looks now."

This beautiful land is rapidly disappearing. Since Nacio inherited it 21 years ago, he figures about 30% has vanished underwater. As saltwater rushes into his marshes, the freshwater grasses die off and grasses that thrive in saltwater haven't grown in fast enough to stop the land from eroding. His land was once protected by barrier islands further south in the Gulf, but they have subsided, leaving him increasingly vulnerable. Now his land is also subsiding into the water, literally sinking from sight.

Nacio, who is 39 years old, has tried to adapt. In 1998, when roughly 60% of his land became water, he started running a commercial shrimp boat to make a living. Since the BP Blowout, Nacio can no longer fish. "We've been shut down for a more than a month here," he says. "The oil has contaminated the fishing areas."

It is hard to imagine how families like Lance Nacio's can survive. The BP disaster is already creating severe economic hardship for everyone whose livelihood depends on these oil-soaked Gulf waters. But even after the Gusher is capped, the tens of thousands of miles of pipeline and canals will remain. The next Gulf tragedy waits its turn. That's why the urgent work of EDF and its allies to replenish and strengthen the wetlands that nourish and protect the Gulf Coast should become America's priority.

This magical, rich, fertile, wild and abundant land must be thought of as a national treasure. Losing it would leave us all that much poorer.

But there is a larger issue that we Americans must confront. Regardless of our collective fury over the environmental nightmare in the Gulf, as long as we demand oil, oil companies will venture into ever-trickier waters to find it. Now is the time to support energy and climate legislation that will shift our economy to safer energy sources. We can be energy-addicted. We cannot afford to be addicted to filthy fossil fuels.

Take action! Tell President Obama and Congress to hold oil companies accountable for the full extent of their pollution and unleash our clean energy future.
Hi Kaohi,

You wrote alot but I don't have much time to respond to all your points. You guys write alot and are allover the place so it will take time to decipher your position.

HOWEVER! I was at Nuuanu at 5am in the morning to view the Re-enactment/Event that was held up there... I was filiming it with Pono. My Uncle is Chuck Burrows and am doing a film on his work in Kawainui Marsh. For years I've helped with my culture in my own low key way. And yes I have spent many days making signs for this event happening on Saturday at the Palace. I participated and gave my time. Sorry, But did I meet you yet or see you there?

Anyway, Watch Olelo and see my films that I put out and you will better see what lines I fight on and the product that I put out. I hope to see you in Makua or on Waianae one day helping the houseless natives. Working the Lo'i with the Keiki to educate them of their future in subsistence, or at OHA and SHPD when the Iwi of our ancestors are being dug up. I hope to see you this weekend if things get heated at the Palace. Then let your actions speak for yourself...
Awesome Scott,
We have talked about this situation before, but why land on it, did you not know who I was? Yes, we work on maoliworld, you and pono work behind the camera. What's going on here? No need to get into this mess. Scott, I don't understand the need to dispute both our hard work--it's too difficult.

Let's have breakfast next week, my treat.
LOL! Kaohi, It's funny because I had expressed an opinion, my own personal one at that. A way that I feel and it caused an uproar of other personal opinions. I don't mind the rebuttals; I in fact encourage it. However, What I do find disheartening is that we fellow Hawaiians write in such a way to put down the ideas, feelings and expressions of other Hawaiians. Names are being called to people and it goes to show how and why an outside entity can come in and conquer us... They always joke about the A'ama crab syndrome and I see it here first hand in writing... Very sad for me.

It makes me stand even more stead fast on my belief that it will take a cataclysmic event to unit all the Hawaiians to reach a shared goal. Too many different entities with different goals, People want it to be like the ole days, well it is... Before Kingdom days in fact, when there were many different factions quarreling amongst each other... I pray that we can all respect each others opinions and agree to disagree without smashing someone's passion to reach a higher level for our people.

I would love to get together and I am sure we will cross paths soon. My production schedule for Olelo and Commercial distribution is pretty full. But we will meet. As far as this "mess" I kind of enjoy the bantering and expression of ideas and opinions and especially the quality and fashion that it is displayed. It shows our intelligence as Native Peoples...

However; Watch some of my productions on Olelo. www.olelo.org

Malama Haloa Series:
- Kalo with uncle Jerry
- Kau Mahina; Moon Phases
- Maui Water Struggle; with Alan Murakami

SHPD pt 1&2 a community forum with Lyla Berg.

Coming out soon:
- Mana Maoli 2010 Concert series Parts 1-4
A benefit Concert for Charter Schools

In Production:
- Ali'i Surfboards; a display of Chief Paki's and Kaiulani's Surfboards
- Kalakaua; a movie of King Kalakaua
-Ku'e; The Day After...
- Laie; From Mountain to the Sea...
Hi Amelia,

I actually now know who Kaohi is. Actually her real name. We did have breakfast together already. And yes I know the story of the Maunawili property and I know of the Sad story that will happen after her father passes. My Uncle wants me to film the Maunawili Property and the history. It is actually on my schedule for later this month...

Queen Liliuokalani and King Kalakaua are relatives of our line. But we do not follow as direct descendants of theirs. However it is really not a factor in our situation today. Our situation is the fact that Us Hawaiians today cannot get our act together and work as one nation. Until we can stand together, we will fail divided...

As far as what I film is my business... I am going through my own learning process from ALL sides. Not just one. I like to hear, watch and learn from every faction... Then make my own conclusion as an individual. I will never tell you what to do or not to do because I respect that you are an individual. I have been to Kaena to help with the problems they have there and with the military. When I lived in Makaha I have fed the houseless with my own money years ago before it became a public problem. I have taken Housles people from Maile beach and helped them purchase homes in spite of their issues. As far as the DU, Our team splits ourselves up to cover these issues of our people and the military. However, Pono will cover most of these and I will cover other projects that we have going on simultaneously. Without us your activities will not be made public for all to be aware of. But i also believe in positive learning programs for our keiki so that they can learn as they grow... NOT just be Scolded...

I would not mistake my patience and diplomacy as a sign of weakness though... I do have another side that is not very diplomatic...

Peace to you all. And I hope that we remember that we are here to reach a common goal. Respect others because sometimes you don't know who the other person really is...
Scott,

You have to take responsibility for this mess, and do it soon. I don't know how to cover. You went up there with your cameras and the Na Nakoa was pretty pissed off with you and Pono. A request was made and you need to go back to your film and try to listen to it.

And we all had breakfast after and talked stink about Ululani! So choose Scott--chacolate or vanilla?

I recently took Pono to see my Uncle Mel for a reason, I'm sorry that you weren't there. When it comes to spiritual rituals, I don't disrespect those that perform rituals.

Eventhough, I approved the cameras should be up at Nuuanu and the children should be present to experience...you need to know that both your son and my grandson was there too when the spirits showed up. You can dispute this if you want to, but I don't and should know better than to dispute there presence.

I will catch hell for having this discussion with you on Maoliworld from the Na Nakoa.

And because you lack the understanding of why the Na Nakoa objects to cameras at the Nuuanu ritual, all that I can say that you lack the maturaty to gain understanding or respect to those Na Kumu that are carring on the late Kumu John Lake and Uncle Mels ritual to Kamehameha.

I am talking to you as if I was talking to my own son.

Having this type of conversation on Maoliworld is not cool. I'm doing this because children were present and they will need to understand for themselves as to why things happen.

The hour is nearing for us to respect Kamehameha and his hewa to his people. And to the strong men that lived in harmony with the dead just below the Nuuanu called Maunawili. My Ohana still do stand tall in their graves on my fathers and uncles property. Kamehameha worked in the taro patches throughout Koolaupoko in homage (don't know other words to describe this phenomena) to the families and their dead.

Our family no longer have Kamehameha spear, it was given to the Bishop Museum which they scuddled in the dust dungeons.

The thing about Capitalism it hurts, it leaves greed in it's path and Kamehameha understood the differences.

This is my opinion--I don't like Kamehameha because he came to Koolaupoko made babies and Kaahumanu herself sent her warriors to kill those babies.

This is my second opinion-the Bishop Estate, politicians, and Home Rule Party combined in the 70s with the missionary capitalism and the Kaahumanu death rule. Is this the game you want to play in absence no less on Saturday? Is this bantering in absence?

Thanks to Luka, you and pono were able to be up at Nuuanu with your cameras. This is Kamehameha's hour. The spiritual world were left opened at Nuuanu for us to go up and give our hookupu on Kamehameha Day which is not Saturday. You have time to return to Nuuanu with your son and explain the purpose of the ritual that he experienced. And I don't mean Ululani's and Herb Kane's version either that's his and hers version of an artist dream.

As for my own children I give what they can handle and when the spirits take hold, I caste their shadows back to their place because children--this is not their responsibility. It's yours!

My little grandson has Na Kupuna in the spirit world and she and others are always in his presence. Did you not see them at the restruant? Chicano families celebrate the dead, we act very Lolo sometimes when it comes to the dead. We ask half question, and not really understand the other half.

I tried to tell you on Saturday that Pono and I went to see Uncle Mel because the Na Koa disaprove of your filming was one of my reasons. Scott you put away your cameras, I don't get to put my responsibility away--life is not that easy.

You need to take responsibility for the 'bantering' that you enjoy and remember what goes around comes around and yes the children shoulder the lack of clean up because one is too busy playing in the fun-sun. Listen to your Na Kupuna this is not high school reunion and American Standard education which is a national failure or sing song.

Like I said to Scott (haole) on the way home, he is suffering from PTS, and should do something about it instead of enjoying SMA games.

Scrolled down: yes artistic creativityand social media too, but need to be responsible with rituals and it's aftermath. I do not see this is happening as we near the hour of Kamehameha. I don't have time for the backlash on Maoliworld need to stay focus on children this summer. I hope you can take care of the cannons with no purpose. If not I will take care of it.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Ikaika Hussey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service