kupuna and who should be on Hawaiian Homelands?

This is a email I received from Da Princess and I find it disturbing. I am not sure how to answer it and I perhaps some other mana'o would be better than mine. I could explain how Prince Kuhio was forced to accept blood quantum by the American government and fought it. Can we know the kupuna of the unoccupied Kingdom and their mana'o. Can we unravel the American propaganda or remain huikau? aloha kai, however, not all Na Kupuna follow the true ways of a Kupuna. being a Kupuna is sacred and the position of a kupuna can cost the lives of a village if proper actions is not inculcated right with PONO. being a true kupuna is like the sacred places on our 'aina, not everyone can claim a sacred land with much Mana like wise a kupuna with honor will be identified immediately by others in our villiges. thats why we have hawaiian homes set aside for only native hawaiians with 50% or more hawaiian blood, any one less can not even apply because it is not for all and thats how sacred we should honor a true KUPUNA. this has not only been a educated discussion but one to show and honor our true Kupuna's with the highest level of Respect, period!!! for they are the true Ali'is and subjects of this Royal Kingdom of all Hawaii Nei. i close my case and Aloha all that mr. kinney invited to this discussion of who Qualifies as a Kupuna???? many Blessings of knowledge to all.........~da princess~

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Some people forget that not all Kanaka Maoli 50% and plus live on Hawaiian Homestead lands and a majority are still on the waiting list. This means only about 1/5th who qualified are on Hawaiian Homes land. Then there are those like my family that already have property and opted not to apply because there were native Hawaiians that don't have land and need it more. Because we are shut out by the system or opt not to apply, doesn't make us any less kanaka maoli and prevent us from practicing our culture. True kupuna are not defined as only being on Hawaiian Homestead Lands.

Tane
    • aloha tane,

at one time i also owned my own home, and allowed others like yourself, go gain the wealth of living on hawaiian homes, but i am like the few that is 50% and has waited on the hawaiian home lands for the past 20 yrs. because i can not come up with the new qualification of a $250 thousand bank loan, so my next generation can have that deserved oppurtinity to gain what is due to them.
      it is not the blood quantum that shuts one out from being a true kupuna or a kanaka maoli, it is the Attitude of such one, the knowledge of our culture, traditions, and most of all the Mana where another can identify right away.
      like our kupuna's tell us "NO ACT" because we was born and raised to know the difference between the wolf and the sheep. and now the wolf with the sheep coverings is more in our presents.
      yes you are right our true kupuna's are not only on hawaiian home lands, they are on Ahupua'a, villages of farmers and fishermens. if you are brought up with the genuine MANA, you can find them where ever you go, and if you can not then again tane, know how you are and where you belong, period.....
      mahalo nui for your educated mana'o and sharing with all of us, for we the next generation is seeking knowledge every day and most of us is advanced in higher eduacation, so be careful what you say, for it might bite you where you least expect as said by my living Kupuna's of our Kingdom of Maui Nui..............................................~da princess~
  • I find the discussion of kupuna very meritorious and poignant to kukakuka about. The problem I see is that there are other issues that piggy-back that subject which gets in the way of truly exploring the kupuna and its role within our society. If we can focus on that without going into personal tete a tete, then we can enrich ourselves in the vast definition of the appellate we attribure to our elders.

Weeding through this maize of name-calling and drifting away from the topic of kupuna; we see a very valid expression of how one interprets the word and usage. Being a kupuna has a burden, obligation, and a deep love for the generations to come. It then becomes a two-way street in dealing with others and the quality of life that makes up our society as we know it. We define it and not the ka po'e haole (foreigner) who is unfamiliar with our system.

So, let's look at our kupuna. We are raised to revere them, take care of them, respect them and love them as much as they love us. They are the source of practical knowledge and experiences and we know they want the best for us. Who doesn't remember that bear-hug and hoover vacuum-cleaner kisses. When we need it, we get reprimanded for unacceptable behaviour.

They help us develop our skills and discipline needed in our growing lives. By example, we learn how to deal with life and how to treat our surroundings. Each kupuna finds a way to convey all these things. Yes, there are some that are better at these things than others. It's human nature; but there are values that are constant that they all try to nuture us with on a daily basis.

Our makua enforces the discipline and personal kuleana while our kupuna reinforces that but have more patience and smothers us with love and "protection" from overzealous" makua. When my makua looses patience and comes after me; my kupuna steps in to keep the balance of being pono or I would run to them for protection knowing what was coming for my "kolohe-ness". Our kupuna makes us feel alive as we exercise all our five senses. They are our rock and we know where they are coming from to keep the balance of life pono for us. They have more patience than our makua. LOL....

We revere our kupuna because they validate us, love us, and will tell us what we need to hear and not what we ant to hear; knowing throughout that we have their unconditional love and support. They will never disown us or cast us aside. We learn this through their words and actions and revere and love them for it. We are reminded that we must take care of them for all the sacrifices and love they have given us and in their senior years we can reciprocate by taking care of them in the way they showered their love on us in various ways.

Most take their role seriously,a few don't and some try to make up for the neglect. Many of us have been blessed to have our kupuna and some have lost their kupuna at an early age. This is where other kupuna step in to fill that void. How wonderful that we still have na kupuna in our lives; they demonstrate how to be kupuna once you have reached that level in our society. They carry the scars, joys, lore, knowledge, experience, love, and wisdom they have receive during their lives on this earth. They are the live-witness of the past before our time on earth and the shield to urge us to go further in our lives. We learn from them and pass on what we absorbed from them. We are ever-mindful of our kupuna and in knowing this, we respect the kupuna of others as we wish others to respect ours for all kupuna are an integral part of all of us in our beautiful society.

My kupuna showed me that there are no limits on love but it can only grow and there's enough for all who touch our lives. What a legacy! I only hope I can pass that on to others as they have done.

Love and aloha to all,

Tane
    • aloha natural born,
      if your kupuna kahiko taught you right then the topic of a kupuna in our day is important, how many true kupuna's you see today, very few like having pure hawaiians, we don't see to much of them. my era was in the early 60's to today and i still is involved with them and its good to see pure hawaiians with much mana and here the life stories of their sufferings and past of disgrace against them. some share their stories of struggles is having their ohanas being injected with lepersy and how their entire identify was changed by having their last names changed from Keahi to Adams. so to say that our kupuna's did not die in vain please rethink that thought and i challege you to interview kupunas in your village and see/hear the vain of disrespect from the military, the religion and the western americas that overthrew our Kingdom Government.
      the lesson of our KUPUNA's was respect and honoring them with the highest level of consideration. many has lost the respect of our kupuna's and one day if you no speak up for our kupuna's, you going be treated just like them today. we can not stand by and watch the disrespect of our kupuna's no more, go into the hawaiian home villages on your island and Aloha your kupunas then listen to their stories of vain and yet they not dead, they still trying to breath the HA in vain because of the disrespect from this new generation.~da princess~
      • As above so below
        as within so with out
        Po and Ao
        Malama your 'aina' and it will take care of you.

Aloha no, Aloha no, e wahine nani u'i
    • and the best was due to you tane, aloha and education is two different things, i have a cultural discussion just for you and kai about our hawaiian homes lands act and how prince kuhio was 100% for the benefit of our sacred people, the kanaka maoli and their sacred 'aina different from the mana'o you gave above.
      and this is an educational discussion to the mature, we are not blinded however by the inmature response of reactons of uneducated mana'o, but this prove who and how we are taught at a very young age to respect and always give proper honor of a true KUPUNA with truth..
      my many Blessings to all to educate oneself in the grand knowledge of our KUPUNA's
      and to apply it for our actions will show up in due time and always in AKUA's time, not ours~~~da princess~~~
    • Aloha no Tane,

Again you remind me that I can do much better in my efforts to kukakuka and have not meant to get into any name calling, e kala mai me. I think you say it from the naau and it moves me. My own Kupuna would give me one crack and yours is with love as always.

Mahalo nui and aloha Kai
      • kai for your information, my kupuna's neva eva did or thought of giving me a crack!!
        i always honor and respected their beliefs and love of the teachings that that left with me to share...
        be one good example for our next generation to watching.. ~~~da princess~~~
  • and to pakelo, it all starts now, this is the time to make the changes, no wait for someone do the work, we as a community needs to attend or write letters to the hawaiian home lands. i agree the we should not live by a old law of 50% and i have spoken up and letter write but we all need to give attention, not only one person.
    so i hope to see you at the next hawaiian home lands meeting and voicing aggresively or write that letter and teach your ohanas to do the same. for our petition of prayers is what will bring justice for her people quoted by her majesty, Queen Lili'uokanlani................many more blessing to you and yours and ask for you will find the answer. ~da princess~
    • To Da Princess & Kaohi. It seems you both talk big and have such high opinions of yourselves that it is nothing more than hallow talk cause either of you aren't out and about "LEADING" the way for na kanaka maoli. Letters and meetings is like having an idea and talking about it. When are either of you going to take action by organizing, leading those on Hawaiian Homes Land now to demand laws be made and or changed for our children with less than 50% blood.

If you going call yourself princess and expect people treat you like one, then start acting like one and lead the people by example and not waha!

Da pakelo
This reply was deleted.