Amelia Gora <theiolani@gmail.com>
1:27 AM (2 minutes ago)
to presidentcommentshpdIrishjohn.maguireSwitzerlandWebGovernorgovernor.aberc.infomayormayormayormayor, bcc: 

[Kanaka Maoli flag]

hawaii-arms-2.gif
   Ko Hawaii Pae Aina/Hawaiian Kingdom Records No. 2013-0009 Legal Notice Posted from one of Kamehameha's descendants, original permanent House of Nobles descendant, True Title owner, Private Property owner documenting Genocide Activities, Rents and Lease due, Permanent Treaty of Friendship of 1849 Locks in the 1849 U.S. Constitution, etc.added to previous notice no. 2013-0007 (sent Certified Return Receipt, stamped received by the White House) from Amelia Gora, Acting Liaison of Foreign Affairs, House of Nobles, one of Kamehameha's descendants/heirs, landowner, etc.

Greetings,
The following message is a posted Legal Notice on Facebook, and the IOLANI - The Royal Hawk news on the web from one of Kamehameha's descendants, one of the original House of Nobles descendant ---descendant of Mataio Kekuanaoa, Alapai, et. als. owners, Title holder of the Royal Families private properties, Crown Lands, Government Lands, etc.:
  • Legal Notice on Facebook posted 5/12/2013:
    Alan D. Ackerman shared Peter T Young's photo.
    59 minutes ago · 
    Only The Stars Of The Heavens Know

Kamehameha I died May 8, 1819 at Kamakahonu at Kailua-Kona.

"His bones, in accordance with traditions afforded high kings, were separated from his flesh and placed in a kaʻai, a basket woven of sennet cordage." (Bill Maiʻoho, Mauna Ala Kahu (caretaker,) Star-Bulletin)

"Mother of pearl was inlaid for the eyes and the king's own teeth formed the mouth; his flesh was thrown far out to sea." (Maiʻoho)

"Kamehameha was a planner, so he talked to Hoapili and Hoʻolulu about where his iwi should be hidden," noting Kamehameha wanted his bones protected from desecration not only from rival chiefs, but from westerners who were sailing into the islands and sacking sacred sites. (Maiʻoho)

Hoapili (originally known as Ulumāheihei) (c. 1775–1840) and Hoʻolulu (1794–1865) were brothers. Both were trusted advisors to Kamehameha.

Their father, High Chief Kameʻeiamoku, was one of the "royal twins" who helped Kamehameha I come to power – the twins are on the Islands’ coat of arms – Kameʻeiamoku is on the right (bearing a kahili,) his brother, Kamanawa is on the left, holding a spear.

When the days of purification were ended and the platform for the body was covered with kapa and a girdle of leaves had been placed, then the high priest finished his ceremonies within the temple house where he had been praying that the spirit of the dead might be given life and welcomed to the company of the good spirits to dwell with Wākea. (Thrum)

When these ceremonies were finished, Hoapili and Hoʻolulu prepared to obey the command given them by Kamehameha to take care of his body and thoroughly secrete it. (Thrum)

The chief's bones belonged by right to the family of Keawe-a-heulu and to the hidden burial places of its members from Kiolakaʻa and Waiʻōhinu in Kāʻu, but Kamehameha doubted whether this family could keep the place secret, for the place where the bones of their father, Keōua, were hidden was pointed out on the cliffs of Kaʻawaloa. (Kamakau)

Kamehameha had therefore entrusted his bones to Hoapili and Hoʻolulu, with instructions to put them in a place which would never be pointed out to anyone.

Different stories suggest different places where Kamehameha’s bones are located: to an undersea cave that could only be accessed at low tide; over the rough lava plains of Puʻuokaloa to Kaloko in Kekaha; within Kaloko fishpond and others. All stories note he was buried in secret under the cover of darkness.

The ceremonial burial of iwi kupuna (ancestral Native Hawaiian remains) and moepū (funerary objects) involves great secrecy in order to protect the burial site and ensure the peace and sanctity of ancestors who have passed away, as well as the spiritual, physical, and psychological well-being of their descendants. (He Ho‘olaha, OHA)

Kamehameha’s final resting place and his bones have never been found; a saying related to that site notes: ‘Only the stars of the heavens know the resting place of Kamehameha.’

For Hawaiians, burial locations were one of the most secretive traditions in a culture over a thousand years old, and proper handling of ancient burial remains uncovered today; continue to be a highly sensitive cultural concern. (Yardley)

State law (§6E) addresses dealing with burials; §6E-43 Prehistoric and historic burial sites - at any site, other than a known, maintained, actively used cemetery where human skeletal remains are discovered or are known to be buried and appear to be over fifty years old, the remains and their associated burial goods shall not be moved without the department's approval.

§6E-43.5 Island burial councils; creation; appointment; composition; duties. (a) The department shall establish island burial councils for Hawaii, Maui/Lanai, Molokai, Oahu, and Kauai/Niihau, to implement section 6E-43.

The councils shall: Determine the preservation or relocation of previously identified native Hawaiian burial sites; Assist the department in the inventory and identification of native Hawaiian burial sites; Make recommendations regarding appropriate treatment and protection of native Hawaiian burial sites, and on any other matters relating to native Hawaiian burial sites.

The image shows Kamehameha. In addition, I have added other related images in a folder of like name in the Photos section.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4753033787095.1073741896.1332665638&type=1&l=da0ecd4bdb

Only The Stars Of The Heavens Know

Kamehameha I died May 8, 1819 at Kamakahonu at Kailua-Kona.

"His bones, in accordance with traditions afforded high kings, were separated from his flesh and placed in a kaʻai, a basket woven of sennet cordage." (Bill Maiʻoho, Mauna Ala Kahu (caretaker,) Star-Bulletin)

"Mother of pearl was inlaid for the eyes and the king's own teeth formed the mouth; his flesh was thrown far out to sea." (Maiʻoho)

"Kamehameha was a planner, so he talked to Hoapili and Hoʻolulu about where his iwi should be hidden," noting Kamehameha wanted his bones protected from desecration not only from rival chiefs, but from westerners who were sailing into the islands and sacking sacred sites. (Maiʻoho)

Hoapili (originally known as Ulumāheihei) (c. 1775–1840) and Hoʻolulu (1794–1865) were brothers. Both were trusted advisors to Kamehameha.

Their father, High Chief Kameʻeiamoku, was one of the "royal twins" who helped Kamehameha I come to power – the twins are on the Islands’ coat of arms – Kameʻeiamoku is on the right (bearing a kahili,) his brother, Kamanawa is on the left, holding a spear.

When the days of purification were ended and the platform for the body was covered with kapa and a girdle of leaves had been placed, then the high priest finished his ceremonies within the temple house where he had been praying that the spirit of the dead might be given life and welcomed to the company of the good spirits to dwell with Wākea. (Thrum)

When these ceremonies were finished, Hoapili and Hoʻolulu prepared to obey the command given them by Kamehameha to take care of his body and thoroughly secrete it. (Thrum)

The chief's bones belonged by right to the family of Keawe-a-heulu and to the hidden burial places of its members from Kiolakaʻa and Waiʻōhinu in Kāʻu, but Kamehameha doubted whether this family could keep the place secret, for the place where the bones of their father, Keōua, were hidden was pointed out on the cliffs of Kaʻawaloa. (Kamakau)

Kamehameha had therefore entrusted his bones to Hoapili and Hoʻolulu, with instructions to put them in a place which would never be pointed out to anyone.

Different stories suggest different places where Kamehameha’s bones are located: to an undersea cave that could only be accessed at low tide; over the rough lava plains of Puʻuokaloa to Kaloko in Kekaha; within Kaloko fishpond and others. All stories note he was buried in secret under the cover of darkness.

The ceremonial burial of iwi kupuna (ancestral Native Hawaiian remains) and moepū (funerary objects) involves great secrecy in order to protect the burial site and ensure the peace and sanctity of ancestors who have passed away, as well as the spiritual, physical, and psychological well-being of their descendants. (He Ho‘olaha, OHA)

Kamehameha’s final resting place and his bones have never been found; a saying related to that site notes: ‘Only the stars of the heavens know the resting place of Kamehameha.’

For Hawaiians, burial locations were one of the most secretive traditions in a culture over a thousand years old, and proper handling of ancient burial remains uncovered today; continue to be a highly sensitive cultural concern. (Yardley)

State law (§6E) addresses dealing with burials; §6E-43 Prehistoric and historic burial sites - at any site, other than a known, maintained, actively used cemetery where human skeletal remains are discovered or are known to be buried and appear to be over fifty years old, the remains and their associated burial goods shall not be moved without the department's approval.

§6E-43.5 Island burial councils; creation; appointment; composition; duties. (a) The department shall establish island burial councils for Hawaii, Maui/Lanai, Molokai, Oahu, and Kauai/Niihau, to implement section 6E-43.

The councils shall: Determine the preservation or relocation of previously identified native Hawaiian burial sites; Assist the department in the inventory and identification of native Hawaiian burial sites; Make recommendations regarding appropriate treatment and protection of native Hawaiian burial sites, and on any other matters relating to native Hawaiian burial sites.

The image shows Kamehameha. In addition, I have added other related images in a folder of like name in the Photos section.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4753033787095.1073741896.1332665638&type=1&l=da0ecd4bdb

© 2013 Hoʻokuleana LLC
    Like · · Share

Amelia Gora:   I like parts of the above story ---- however, Kamehameha's iwi continue to be taken cared of by certain assigned families.......The Kamehameha descendants exist today and the "Island burial councils under the State of Hawaii, an occupying entity are Not part of our families" which means Genocide issues continue........btw, did you know that I turned in claims for our tutu nearly two (2) years ago and the burial council still has not contacted me....think I'll be able to sue them, and the entity State of Hawaii for failure to act upon my claims, etc. Let us look at the entire set of claims beginning from Honouliuli, Ewa, Oahu starting from Kekauonohi who was the hanai daughter of Kalanimoku and his last wife Akahi, my great great great great grandmother(I am one of her true bloodlines)....along with Kalanimoku who had a younger brother Keoua, who I also descend from... Kalanimoku's son was W.P. Leleiohoku who was the son of Kalanimoku. Then moving over to Pearl City, there are konohiki who are part of our family including Ruth Keelikolani, Victoria Kamamalu, then Halawa ahupuaa with Mataio Kekuanaoa and Grace Kamaikui my ancestors, then around the bend running through to Kapalama of which my ancestors Nuuanu, Kamehameha III - Kauikeouli, and John Kapena were Konohiki which includes the Chinatown area....and when you move to Kawaiahao Ahupuaa, my great great great great grandmother's first husband named Kaaha was the Konohiki, and who was his wife? She was named Kalola the documented next-of-kin to Bernice Pauahi who married the Pirate of the Pacific: Charles Reed Bishop who played a major role in dethroning our Queen Liliuokalani who did call two of my direct ancestors daughters/hanai daughters.......and it doesn't stop there because Kekauluohi/Auhea, mother of King William Lunalilo was also the "mother" of Kauikeouli/Kamehameha III our ancestor(note that I did post the names of the moopuna/grandchildren of Kamehameha of which our families have multiple lines documented), and Queen Kapiolani was the sister of Princess Poomaikelani our great great grandmother and the hanai/ adopted daughter of my/our great grandfather Kaluakini....... it appears that those who perpetuate the lies will be held accountable and it appears that the occupiers are trying their best to disregard documents that have been served, stamped at the Burial Council Office, Kapolei, Oahu, by Ms. Aiu who appears to be one of Kamehameha descendants through the lines of Kepelino......now isn't that very interesting? Note that I did serve a 35 page legal notice to President Obama via certified, return receipt mailing which was returned to me, and I, Amelia Gora did document that the 1849 Treaty locks in the 1849 U.S. Constitution, etc. Issues unresolved for the occupiers are Not the Hawaiian Government documented.............Many of Kamehameha's descendants exist, as well as our families through multiples of ways found in genealogy researches of more than 24 years....Rents and Leases are due....additionally, the Kamehameha Schools Trustees are NOT related to our families and Bernice Pauahi Bishop was NOT "the last of the Kamehameha's" documented a lie........Pirates have criminally claimed lands that they have NO TITLE to......and are now documented as Genocide Activists along with foreign born U.S. President Barack Obama, et. als. This is also a Legal Notice documented by one of Kamehameha's, et. als. descendants: Amelia Gora, a Royal Person, Acting Liaison of Foreign Affairs, one of the original House of Nobles members descendants and heirs, one of the Hawaiian Genealogical Society representatives, Ko Hawaii Pae Aina/Hawaiian Kingdom/Kingdom of Hawaii/Hawaiian Islands/Hawaiian archipelago/Hawaii aloha.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTsANaXp4hM

IZ: UA MAU KE EA O KA AINA I KA PONO O HAWAI
    www.youtube.com
    UA MAU KE EA O KA ?AINA I KA PONO O HAWAI UA MAU KE EA O KA ?AINA I KA PONO O HA...
    See More
    Photo
    Only The Stars Of The Heavens Know Kamehameha I died May 8, 1819 at Kamakahonu at Kailua-Kona. "His bones, in accordance with traditions afforded high kings, were separated from his flesh and placed in a kaʻai, a basket woven of sennet cordage." (Bill Maiʻoho, Mauna Ala Kahu (caretaker,) Star-Bulletin) "Mother of p...See More
    Photos: 9

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Walter Ritte shared Occupy HonoluluHale's photo. about an hour ago · LAST MINUTE KUE!!!!! JOIN OUR PRESS CONFERENCE RE: SB 1171 WHICH GOV. ABER. SIGNED INO LAW FOUR DAYS AGO IN SECRET (DISMANTELING OUR LEGAL PROTECTIONS FOR OUR CULTURE AND IWI KUPUNA). 10:00AM STATE CAPITAL 5TH FLOOR GOVERNORS OFFICE (TUE. MAY 28TH) SENATOR HEE SAYS THAT THIS IS A BAD, USELESS BILL THAT IS DETRIMENTAL TO HAWAIIANS BUT LOVED BY ALL DEVELOPERS! PLEASE SUPPORT THIS EVENT AND SHARE THE "KU'E" CALL TO ACTION WALTER RITTE PUSH BACK! Support this petition NOW! Look at this new Cartoon! Cool! http://www.change.org/petitions/hawaii-state-senate-and-house-of-re... 1Like · · Unfollow Post · Share 15 people like this. James Kamaunu Now, this is MORE HEWA... DOES THIS GOVERNOR HATE HAWAIIANS...? about an hour ago · Unlike · 1 Walter Kawikaka'iulani Aipa Where is the transparency? It seems that if we aren't politicians, we will never know. People like you spend more time reading the bills than the people who get paid to do it. Mahalo for the 'ike! about an hour ago · Unlike · 1 Hale Mawae https://vimeo.com/52250420 they are pretty much getting away with it already... even without this bill The Disturbance vimeo.com Following the disturbance of more than 69 burials at Kawaiahaʻo Church; historic... See More about an hour ago · Edited · Like Amelia Gora 69 burials is an erroneous number, far below the 600 that many have been talking about........ about an hour ago · Like Hale Mawae @amelia this story just starts with the 69... about an hour ago · Like Hale Mawae we are editing in more recent footage of paulettes win... etc. etc. but now this new bill about an hour ago · Like Hale Mawae its turn inot a saga about an hour ago · Like Walter Ritte THE NEW BATTLE GROUND IS THIS TUE. AT THE GOVS OFFICE...WE SHALL ALWAYS PROTECT THE BONES OF OUR KUPUNA!!!! 59 minutes ago · Like Amelia Gora this is evidence of Genocide and can be presented to the International Criminal Courts....are you aware that with each burial there were no less than 5 gold coins, other jewelry.....how's about we all put together a Genocide case since they will take info from only 2002 to present? 58 minutes ago · Like · 1 Amelia Gora if we do a call out to the descendants of those buried, they can put in their oral history........oh, we can also do a case inhouse as well, the de jure Hawaiian Kingdom/Ko Hawaii Pae Aina because the Kamehameha's descendants, the original House of Nobles members descendants exists now and we have met over time....... 55 minutes ago · Like Amelia Gora oh btw the Konohiki families/descendants/heirsi of Kawaiahao exists....did you know that the usurpers placed their name in place...it's called criminal conversions..... Abercrombie is aware that the treaties supercede State laws and is noted in the U.S. Constitution as well as the HRCP/Hawaii Rules of Civil Procedure, etc. 52 minutes ago · Like KaPahu Kuhikuhi I don't mean to jump in the middle of something without knowing 100% of the facts but just off the top from what I glanced at......There has to be some kind of Federal injunction that mandates any and all Acts that are in violation of an indigenous pe...See More 50 minutes ago · Edited · Unlike · 1 Hale Mawae as in this tuesday tomorrow anakala walter? 50 minutes ago · Like Amelia Gora you're right.......please add more info........and if you know details... awesome......let's DO IT! 50 minutes ago · Like KaPahu Kuhikuhi This is the whole reason I went back to school.. to fight them on their level... LEGALLY WITH BOTH BARRELLS LOCKED AND LOADED !!! 48 minutes ago · Unlike · 1 Amelia Gora me ka hana ana! as my mother said translated to "Right On!" ....I have a paralegal cert from Chaminade if that could help..........also from the House of Nobles side, am the Acting Liaison of Foreign Affairs with immunities recognized under International laws........ 46 minutes ago · Like KaPahu Kuhikuhi BINGO !!! YOU KNOW THIS SHIT WOMAN... YOU GOT IT.The legal system is based on a few things. It's all about how something presented with particular words added or omitted. Then to establish a legal standing cases that have been tried and won become landmark examples and take precedence in proving your case where judgement is concerned. YOU GOT IT ALREADY GIRL !!! 40 minutes ago · Unlike · 1 KaPahu Kuhikuhi YOU ROCK AMELIA !!! 39 minutes ago · Like Amelia Gora notice that criminal theft is not put out in the news.......if 5 gold coins came out of one burial times 600 that means no less than 3,000 gold coins were removed...... who should be prosecuted for the theft? Kawaiahao ministers, the Governor, et. als.? 37 minutes ago · Like Amelia Gora Perhaps if documentation were served tomorrow, then they will have to Cease and Desist since service to the President was made a few months ago and the so called 'State government' needs to abide by treaty(ies) because evidence is in place that many Ka...See More Kamehameha Waltz - Emma Veary www.youtube.com Kamehameha Waltz - Emma Veary / Video: Honolulu Hale City Hall 23 minutes ago · Like · Remove Preview KaPahu Kuhikuhi What ... are you kidding me ? The way I would approach this is to get an immediate injunction done to cease and assist all actions done on Hawaiian soil based on "UNITED STATES PUBLIC LAW 103-150. 103d Congress Joint Resolution - 19 Nov. 23, 1993." That is your ace in the hole as far as I see it. It is an OPEN admittance to wrongs against the Hawaiian Nation and something they need to stand accountable for. The legal system WAS based on the simple premise of CRIME and PUNISHMENT. Now we have REHABILITATION and RESTITUTION and REBUILDING OF LIVES and we have long since lived by The Code of Hammurabi. Now it's time for RESTITUTION AND THE REBUILDING OF LIVES TO RIGHT THIS INJUSTICE AGAINST AN ENTIRE NATION OF PEOPLE. - The fact that we are an endangered race of people would be my call of recognition all over the world. 16 minutes ago · Unlike · 1 Amelia Gora Then file your actions 'immediate injuction done to cease and assist" correction "desist"....then I'll just file what should have been filed with the entity State.....our families have many projects including the defense of the Crown Lands....and dumb dexter Kaiama failed to properly defend us from the Attorney General calling us 'terrorists', and oppositions were documented........the fact of the matter when it comes to Kawaiahao is that the deed from our great great great grandfather Kauikeouli/ Kamehameha III to the people buried at Kawaiahao Church was for them and their descendants, not to the uninvited American missionaries.....who have no Alodio/Allodio titles to anything...only kanaka maoli were given alodio/ano alodio............all others were given less than alodio lands called fee simple, freehold, etc. As for the U.S. Public Law 103-150, the value of that is that it is an admission of crimes........more facts have been found which affects that admission including the Premeditation issues as documented here found by my son in law, another Kamehameha descendant- see: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F00617FD345B1A738DDD... and http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F00617FD345B1A738... The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia www.nytimes.com Find breaking news, multimedia, reviews & opinion on Washington, business, sports, movies, travel, books, jobs, education, real estate, cars & more. 4 minutes ago · Like · Remove Preview Amelia Gora http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F00617FD345B1A738... The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia www.nytimes.com Find breaking news, multimedia, reviews & opinion on Washington, business, sports, movies, travel, books, jobs, education, real estate, cars & more. 4 minutes ago · Like · Remove Preview Amelia Gora PEARL HARBOR COALING STATION.; IMPERATIVE NECESSITY THAT THE UNITED STATES TAKE POSSESSION. SIGN IN TO E-MAIL PERMISSIONS [ DISPLAYING ABSTRACT ] WASHINGTON, Jan. 8. -- The United States, through the inactivity of the Navy Department and the indifference of the State Department, is likely to lose the only coaling station of which it stands in real need. Nothing has been done since 1884, when the Pearl Harbor site in the Hawaiian Islands became available, beyond a number of surveys which have abundantly demonstrated the excellence of this harbor as a site for a naval station. *Note: read the last paragraph of the article..... good luck with your docs.........will turn mine in as well........Malama Pono, aloha. 2 minutes ago · Like

• WTF...
    KaPahu Kuhikuhi via Civil Beat
    Public Asked To Help Pick Site For New Hawaii Nature Reserve
    www.civilbeat.com
    Reserve, as part of a national network, would enable researchers to study wetland ecosystems.
    •  Public Asked To Help Pick Site For New Hawaii Nature Reserve
      By Sherley Wetherhold 05/20/2013

Flickr: exalthim

Like the great civilizations of Ancient Egypt, Mohenjo-Daro, and China, traditional Hawaiian ahupuaa (self-sufficient subdivisions) were organized around fertile stream systems. These systems were central to Hawaiian culture as they were the place Native Hawaiians traditionally fished, farmed and collected water. Estuaries also maintain marine fish populations, filter stormwater runoff, and avert floods.

Now, state officials want to create a National Estuarine Research Reserve in Hawaii where scientists can study wetland ecosystems to help our coastal communities take better care of our seaside homes.

Leo Asuncion, manager of the Coastal Zone Management Program expects the research in the reserve to directly benefit the communities it is in.

“For example, how rising sea levels will affect habitats,” he said, explaining that the fieldwork would help "tie together scientific research with on the ground management to address the impact on coastal communities.”

Real time measurements of water levels and quality would also be made available online for researchers and community members alike.

There are currently 28 national reserve sites dotted across the country, but none in the Pacific. State officials are asking the community for proposals on where to put Hawaii's reserve, which they intend to establish within the next 12 to 18 months. So far, the Office of Planning has received proposals for sites on Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Hawaii Island, mostly from the science community.

Local ecologists applauded the move, saying there's real opportunity to incorporate Native Hawaiian cultural practices into the management of such a reserve.

“Estuaries are really important in Hawaiian culture,” said Dr. Samuel Ohukaniohia Gon III, senior scientist and cultural advisor at The Nature Conservancy of Hawaii.

“It was always an estuary that would be the site for a fish pond, for example. It would make a great deal of sense to involve the biocultural aspect of estuaries," he said. "It makes sense to me that a NERR in Hawaii should have cultural aspects to it — and in fact researching those aspects, and maybe even incorporating some active restoration of cultural practices such as loko ia (fish ponds) and loi kalo (wetland taro patch).”

In some ways, designating a reserve also fits into the broader sustainability movement that has taken hold in recent years. State officials say a NERR would help the local community better understand our coastal ecosystems and how to maintain them.

"These ecosystems support a variety of plant and aquatic life that Hawaii’s communities rely upon for food, recreation, and cultural practices," said Jesse Souki, director of the state Office of Planning. "A NERR site will help us better understand how these ecosystems function so that we can ensure these resources are available for current and future generations.”

Asuncion explained that the proposed reserve would be different from a typical sanctuary, where fishing and commercial activity would be prohibited. The reserve would consist of a small core area with sensors, where access would be somewhat limited and but the rest of the site would be unaffected and business would carry on as usual.

“The site would be open to all people," he said. "The NERR would not restrict access except in the core area where there might be sensitive monitors. If there are uses for the estuarine area now, boating for example, these activities would continue undisturbed.”

Asuncion stressed the importance and necessity of accessibility to the reserve site. It could also help support the local economy. He explained that existing businesses in the designated reserve site would be unaffected and eco-entrepreneurs would not be barred from setting up businesses like water sport equipment rentals that would encourage exploration and appreciation of the natural environment.

Community support is important, too.

“We really do need the community to buy in though, even if it’s something ‘for the good’, like research," he said. "The community should be willing to accept it because in the long run, it will be a community facility.”

A national reserve site in Hawaii would be the first in the Pacific islands. Scientists hope to use the site as a living laboratory to conduct long-term research which might prove useful when applied to environmental management and preservation in ecologically similar Pacific locales.

Gon also provided some historical context to better understand how a reserve in Hawaii would be unique.

“When you look at the history of Western manipulations of estuaries, they’re almost completely destructive," he said. "They drain wetlands and build on it. Whereas in the Hawaiian system essentially you would take a stream and turn it into a wetland. Many estuaries were semi-wild; they were modified in ways to maximize the edible production of the place and streams.”

The proposed sites will be reviewed by two committees made up of county and community representatives as well as scientists from Hawaii universities who will choose a site that is most accessible by the public, ecologically exceptional and conducive to research. The governor will then nominate the site to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Talk of establishing a reserve site in Hawaii has been circulating around Gov. Neil Abercrombie’s office for a few years now. According to Asuncion, the cost of establishing the site would be minimal, but estimating the costs before knowing the size or location of the site would be difficult. Federal funding would be provided by NOAA, and Hawaii’s Coastal Zone Managment Program would have put up a 30 percent match. Maintenance of the site is usually overseen by a local university or a public-private partnership, but also depends on involvement from local volunteers.

DISCUSSION: Where would you put this national estuarine reserve?

WTF...
      www.civilbeat.com
      Reserve, as part of a national network, would enable researchers to study wetland ecosystems.
      WTF...
      www.civilbeat.com
  • http://espressostalinist.wordpress.com/?blogsub=confirming#blog_sub... One of the most Interesting Websites discovered .....check it out....also I sent a request to add us, Hawaii/Hawaiian Kingdom, to the list of genocide as well.......... ;)
    The Espresso Stalinist
    espressostalinist.wordpress.com
    Wake Up to the Smell of Class Struggle ☭
This reply was deleted.