Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 16:48:05 -0400
To: bieke_pr@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CPRDV] Vieques en Boston

Could you forward this to your Boston contacts? Thanks.

More than 7,000 Viequenses filed an appeal at the United States Court of
Appeals for the First Circuit, seeking compensation from the Navy in federal
district court for illnesses caused by the toxic contamination of their
island following more than six decades of naval bombardment and weapons
testing. Last year, federal Judge Daniel Dominguez dismissed the case,
citing that the Court does not have subject matter jurisdiction in the case.

The more than 9,000 American citizens who live in Vieques are suffering from
multiple illnesses and health conditions. They have a 30% higher rate of
cancer, a 381% higher rate of hypertension, a 95% higher rate of cirrhosis
of the liver, and a 41% higher rate of diabetes than the inhabitants of
Puerto Rico?s main island. Hair testing has shown that a majority of those
living on the island suffer from at least one form of heavy metal poisoning
from toxins such as lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium, and aluminum.
Approximately half of the indigenous population suffers from two or more
heavy metal poisoning.

The oral arguments on this case, Sánchez v. United States, will be heard
this Thursday, June 9th, 2011, before the United States Court of Appeals for
the First Circuit at 9:30 am. The address is 1 Courthouse Way, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02210. We will meet at 8:30 am at A &Q's Place (at the
courthouse) for a breakfast briefing, then walk together in solidarity to
demonstrate our support by filling the courtroom. Our case is the last one
to be heard that morning, so people that are not able to make it around 8:30
am could arrive around 10:15 am.

Please let us know if you have any questions. I can be reached at
<mailto:melisa@melisadiaz.com> melisa@melisadiaz.com or 202.285.0785. On
behalf of the people of Vieques, thank you for your support!

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• All of Waianae and its Moku suffer from heavy metal poisoning because of Nuclear Isotopes being in the environment.  To date we do not have the leadership in place that can take on this problem for compensation.  My bottom line before the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Judge Baretta and Judge Kennedy on Jan 13, 2010 was for an exit plan for the citizens of Hawaii.  This is similar to the 1998 Micronesian plan.  I work closely with the Micronesian and their Diaspora and have personally concluded that we are going in the same direction. 

I refused the process for 'Downwinders' compensation as an individual because I feel all of Waianae citizens especially our children should receive compensation and not just me.

I have posted the complaint on this forum since October 2009, however, I suspect people don't read, don't care and blatant interception by others are the very problems why this understanding of 'heavy metal poisoning' are yet to be understood.  I see this type of poisoning in our children for Maili has the highest birth defect in the Hawaii.  I also see this 'heavy metal' poisoning in the children across the Moku of Waianae.  Unless one is cognizant to this contamination and live in the area--one cannot seek justice. 

What is truly sad in less than a year the same type of poisoning will reach South Point first in Big Island and then the rest of our shores.  Recently on Maui, I spoke to Leslie Aipalena Kuloloio (Kahoolawe) because I wanted to know more about the UXO clean up as well as the debris cleanup on Kahoolawe.  I wanted to know not so much as where, but why Kahoolawe receives a lot of debris from around the world such as Portugal, Japan, Taiwan etc.  Why on the shores of Kahoolawe? 

There are many questions to ask and answer to prepare for this disaster that is coming our way soon.  This is debris contaminated with Nuclear Isotopes that needs to handle with our bare hands.  Who is going to clean up this mess?  Our local prisoners, if one thinks this is not true one should be at our 'houseless sweeps'.  Hepatitis-C is a real concern for anyone that works in the trenches with our 'houseless' people. 

Our truckers were used to remove 'heavy metal toxins' from Schofield Barracks for reasons of safety for military families, according to Tad Davis 'Plus Plus Sustainable Plan' deputy assistant secretary of the Army for environment for the Pentagon.  And according to Gregory Jaczko of the Department of Energy (NRC) his 'idea' of safe, weak and low contamination of nuclear facility would be to spread or aggregate the contamination.  And we all believe this insanity because we trust the political rhetoric and its justice of the gavel more than science.  And all the data once we take time to understand shows that Hawaii's population will be the next wave of victims from the Fukushima Nuclear disaster.  It is the  Kuroshio Current that most concerns me and others that are aware of debris that washes on shore in our islands.  Uncle Leslie and I met in 1978 on the Island of Kahoolawe on the Kealaikahiki side of the island. 

We sat by the poolside at Maui Coast Hotel discussing the debris and his experience with it since 1978 and there is really nothing we can do to prevent contamination of the nuclear contamination from Fukushima, Japan.  Gregory Jaczko of the Department of Energy (NRC) was responsible for the 'oceanfill of the debris' and I've disagreed from the onset--ever since October 16, 2009 and have made this argument (contention) before Judge Barretta and Judge Kennedy.  Aggregation of nuclear isotopes renders safe, weak and low, therefore the whole of Pacific Ocean and its currents are his solution to the nuclear contamination of the nuclear power plant of Fukushima, Japan. 

Here is a recent publication:

Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) Chair Gregory Jaczko

Procedures at U.S. plants soon under review

Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) Chair Gregory Jaczko described the ongoing work of the NRC in advising the Japanese government during the current nuclear crisis and steps the NRC is taking to launch a comprehensive review of all U.S. nuclear facilities. President Obama ordered reevaluation following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami that devastated Japan.

He said the NRC was working with the Japanese government and TEPCO, the Toyko utility company maintaining the damaged Fukushima nuclear plant, to ensure cooling for the reactors that are still operating and supplying water to the pools storing spent fuel rods.

The chairman declined to speculate on a "worst case scenario," though he suggested that contamination around the facility will need to be addressed and that there will be "difficulty operating some of the reactors in the future."

He went on to relate their efforts to prepare for unexpected disasters in U.S. nuclear facilities. The NRC's Severe Accident program requires utility companies to establish steps for keeping reactors and spent fuel rods cool when the production of electricity is disrupted by severe fires, explosions or other unexpected events.

Updated: Monday, March 21, 2011 at 10:38am (ET)

This reply was deleted.