HSTT EIS/OEIS Project Manager
Naval Facilities Engineering Command, Southwest/EV21.CS
1220 Pacific Highway
San Diego, CA 92132-5190
DUE on July 10, 2012
Oppose

Here is a perfectly written recopied for human understanding"

Bianca Isaki The purpose of the U.S. military is to make the world safe for the flow and concentration of capital. For over a century, people in Hawai‘i have raised crucial questions about the impacts of the U.S. military worldwide and the site specific impacts of military build-up in the islands. When they respond, military officials have the repeated argument, “we need Hawai‘i’s lands because we need the military to be ready.” What this means is that military-readiness is a social value; it is valued by a the society that that is fractured by deep inequities between those that the military serves most and those that suffer the social, political, and environmental damage of the ongoing U.S. military occupations of Makua Valley, Lihu‘e, Pohakuloa, Kaho‘olawe, Guam, the Marshall Islands, and American Samoa, amongst other areas. 
This is the framework for the U.S. Marines’ plan to bring two squadrons of MV-22 Osprey aircraft, one squadron of Attack Helicopters, and over 2,000 military-associated persons to Kane‘ohe at Marine Corps Base Hawai‘i (MCBH). In other words, when the Marines says it needs to build up its forces “to be organized, trained, and equipped to provide fleet marine forces of combined arms . . . for the conduct of such land operations as may be essential to the prosecution of a naval campaign” (10 U.S.C. 5063), it is weighing “needs” in an equation in which harms to Hawai‘i will rarely, if ever, balance out. 
The impacts of the Marines’ action are not slight. Air operations of larger, louder, military aircraft will increase by 49% (an added 26,056 operations per year) across the entire island chain.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –