I can still remember the days that my mother came out of her home and did the most unusual thing and that was to educate native Hawaiians and the general public about the up coming con con (Con game)  in 1978--she started in 1974 in front of Shima's market and did her work for four years.  On the last night mom brings all the sore-painful losers to my house in Hauula and said to take over.  I said okay being an obedient daughter that I am and which I thought was to be two week ends--it is now 37 years later and I am still going, going, going!  Mit's attorney for Hoala Kanawai pointed out $14 million budgeted for educating native Hawaiian children under the states 5(f) and what is now in process (c) and (d).  The purple spot (Governor Ben Cayetano) to sell public trust lands.

Most of the talk among the elders ( I was a young mother and a listener) was to bring the bloodquantum down to 1/32.  So that all Hawaiians could rehabilitate the 200,000 acres if the wanted to.  The laugh is Hawaiian Homestead was thought of as a dirty place to go and be.  Hawaiians were ashamed to be  Hawaiian in those days.   Only 3,000 families were on the wait list.  The change in heart happened after COHO sold out to the formation of the 1978 and their OHA, Alu Like (Papa Ola Lokahi), NHLC, QLCC, Bishop Estates etc.. thereafter.  In fact, the talk was to disban DHHL for reasons that we were 'insignificant!  What being the Slogan for most OHA candidates.  Ultimate genocide for those 3,000 families on the wait list.  The women pulled back their objective and held tightly on to the bloodquantum of 50%.  My job to do to the death!!!!

Education was the other problem, these women were battling over $14 million that should should have gone  for homestead children according to law.  Instead, Rep Yuen built a library in Waimanalo. Back then, we had white women from the beautification group (missionary women), Hawaiian Civic Club, and women League of Voters--they worked very hard at killing teens.  Trust me they were successful!  They used the underground, churches, and white politics.  Kennedy died, Civil rights happened and the Vietnam war gave breathing space for Native Hawaiians with 50% plus bloodquantum.  Koolau Boys and Girls correctional facilities was just down the road.  Too many children spent their summers there--just for being born Hawaiian and living on Hawaiian Homestead.  High teen suicides on Hawaiian Homestead enacted grants for the mentioned organizations.  

Malama the Aina, became the staple and still is but some activist forgot the words and are now occuppied hippies in today's Hawaiian Movement.  The thing about 2033 of acquiring vast amounts of land for example Mauna Kea etc.. is the decommissioning process which is not to far from what the women of Koolaupoko was trying to do in 1974 and that was to have lands that are sublet to the general public be returned to the DHHL inventory.  That's a joke today! One can see these changes under 5 (f) (c) and (d).  Hilo town is DHHL being sublet to many other subletters and they still our 'rehabilitation' dollars from our homestead.  Eviction of native Hawaiians from Hawaiian Homestead became the trend during the American Indian Movement years.  Gail Prejean's mom was kicked out of her home in her old age. Kahale Smith burned to death in his home on the island of Kauai.  Five children maybe more recently committed suicide at Anahola Hawaiian Homestead.

Most important fight of our lives was to Stop the Bombing and we are still speaking to this objectivity.  Today we are fighting for our children's health and against the military on all nearby military bases in Hawaii.  For they bring to our Hawaiian communities Nuclear Isotopes U 235, U238, and U240 with no consciousness of what they are destroying, our children. J. Robert Oppenheimer the (father of the atomic bomb) had no objectivity for humanity and neither does the Pentagon and it's relationship with Pacific Islanders.  We are being inundated with toxic soil dust that contains mention nuclear isotopes.  This dust particles are being trucked through Farrington Highway for our to sponge bob children in Waianae for a sickly future.  George Helm and Kimo Mitchel died to stop the bombing on all Pacific Islands.

The point to this posting is that new people bring their sick-retired-research grants to the Hawaiian Movement and have no inkling as to what they are saying or justifiable reasoning to the front line when it comes to our children and their future.  It's all about me and myself and my grand 6th grade arguments for a rubric grade.  Getting Cranky!

Those of us that are on Hawaiian Homestead are not only fighting to keep our homes, paying high student loans, general public speculative real estates subletting get rich off of Hawaiian Homestead--we are trying to keep our children from dying way before there time.  

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –