I've named this group after the first book on Hawaiian History, by the Lahainaluna scholars (my alma mater). I'm a Hawaiian History teacher at Kamehameha Kapalama, and I'll be writing a Hawaiian History textbook next year (on sabbatical). I'd like to explore the debated areas of Hawaiian History, get leads and spread 'ike to try to uncover our history, much of which is suppressed. Please join me.
Feel free to start new discussion topics, as there are limitless areas to do so in Hawaiian history.
E komo mai kakou!

Views: 166

Replies to This Discussion

E makemake ana i ka heluhelu ana i keia puke no!

For real, let us all know when it becomes published work. I'll be more than happy to buy at least one copy, especially considering it will be among the new 'ike mai ka po'e i ke ao nei.
Aloha e, and thank you for your work!

One of the best untold stories about kanaka maoli is Henry Oobookiah. His parents were killed in war, and he was made a slave, and he escaped to discover Christianity in Connecticut. The love in his heart and his finding of Jesus helped bring the message of peace and salvation to the islands just in time to replace the broken kapu laws. Even though he never made it back himself, he was like Moses in bringing the good word to Hawaii.

For the debated areas of Hawaiian History, it's really hard to keep things straight, since everyone makes the mistake of romanticizing whatever part they believe in. The great untold story of Hawaii isn't the overthrow of 1893, but the domination of the rich over the poor since even before 1778. The Great Mahele was for the ali'i, not the maka'ainana. Even today, mostly large landed interests control Hawaii, whether or not the controllers are maoli or haole. We even have institutions like DHHL which act as artificial ali'i, keeping the land for themselves but only leasing it out, instead of trusting Hawaiians to own their own property. Even taking a closer look at Kamehameha the Great we find ourselves with blinders, glossing over mass murder at the Pali. Or Pauahi Bishop, who hated hula and wanted to westernize everyone.

Anyway, it would be good to have a Hawaiian History textbook which tells the story like Ken Burns did in the Civil War series - both the Confederates and the Union had stories to tell, heroes and villains on both sides. Hawaiian history has never been black and white, but sometimes we forget, and then we don't learn from our old mistakes.
Opukaha`ia may have been the first poe kanaka to have been christianzied by the white Anglo Saxon Protestant (W.A.S.P.) society, but to go as far as to say he was 'rescued" is no more than a colonial-bias/perspective.. Based on available/accessable documentation the intent and objective of the christian-biased calvinist were to commit Spritual Genocide of an Aborignal People.

As for the mahele, haoles will dutifully insist kauikeaouli abandoned and opted for the colonial-tenets of land tenure; and that it only benefitted the ali`i class; leaving the maka`ainana displaced throughout their ancestral lands. I not only reject this absurdity, I am convinced that the mahele was cratfed and implement by kauikeaouli to bring the ancient Ahupua`a tenets "forward" into its first "written form" to not only protect the land from foreign invasion and theft; but to protect the people.....Ali`i and maka`ainana.

Given what is known in our mo`olelo...our respective mo`okuauahau's.....isn't this logic and reasoning consistent of our tupunas` without the colonized-minds that have enclaved and corrupted us all for seven (7) generations.

No disrespect meant/intended to those that embrace christianity today.....but to discover where my tupunas` were not buried at, dispite the assault upon them by the missionaries to convert them to christianity just to get to the maka`ainana told me a lot of how they felt at the time.
I agree with your mana'o, Foster. The King believed the backbone of the nation was its mahi'ai and although the portions of the lands were smaller in acreage, they were the richest because they were arable. Take note in his wording, "rights of native tenants"; they also had gathering rights protected even to this day.

Since the invasion and belligerent occupation by the USA, the institutions are US American and so is the thinking; it's not Hawaiian. It's called forced assimilation to a racist WASP society..

As far as The ancient battles, yes, they were ruthless; just as the wars in Europe and in the US colonies. I doubt many Hawaiians view their history as a shangrilla or a utopia; but an evolution for a better way of life. It may have not been perfect; but it's ours and our kuleana. US history is much worse than ours; and that's a documented fact.

Pauahi was educated and raised at the Royal Children's school. She was more compliant and the missionaries manipulated her. She was given exceptional privileges than the rest of the children. They arranged her marriage to Bishop. He was the only one allowed to call on Pauahi after hours. They knew exactly what they were doing and beat the royal children who didn't comply. Pauahi was smart yet complied. There are some horror stories that went on in that school. Lii'u was manipulated to marry Dominus instead of Lunalilo and ended in a loveless marriage. So sad!
Ae, pololoe Tane, pololoe. A very different, and in western-context, provacaitve picture materializes in the lives of my lineal ancestors during kamehameha akahi and kauikeaouli's time.

Through the mo`olelo, the customs and beliefs of my tupunas` lives a much broader and different picture/story unfolds. Baldwin set-out and tried to 'convert' my tupunas` and projected success. Auwe....if this was so....wea is my tutu's iwi? They may have had a 'fine' funeral and service in the missionary's hale...in their way...but my tutu's iwi are not resting with the missionary and other christians of their time. They are in the lands, as they should be, of the people before the poe haole came.

.....Socratic Thinking...our tupunas` were really good at this.
My great-great grandfather was Dwight Baldwin's right-hand man... kala mai!
I think it just goes to show the multiple connections with these historical figures and people
in the present - many of my students are related to both chiefs and missionaries - even
to Walter Murray Gibson! Just a rumination...
Ae...pololoe. It is interesting and a fascinating part of our tupunas` lives. I too often think of the multiple-connections they all had at such a pivotal time in our history. With clash of culture and especially of their spirituality and D. Baldwin being the nexus.

In many respects....we are still caught in this 'clash-of-culture' that is far from any definitive closure. There are many factors for this prolonging affect; and one I am trying to find the right/balanced words to adequately articulate.....for example;

1. The myth that 'Hawaiians' cannot come/work together "politically"....we can and we do on many occasions. The challenge we have and this I see happening sooooooo often, is that a 'majority' of us percieve the issues to be of ethnicity rather than for what they really are in essence...."Nationalism"
2. Take the Akaka Bill, OHA, This so-called "Ceded Lands" Settlement between the State of Hawaii and OHA....these are all issues specifically and "legally" pertaining to "Nationalism"; yet most of us react "emotionally" to the insults and rhetoric because of our passion and keen instincts. We have and still are from the time of the first-missionary been preyed upon because of this fact. E kala mai...speaking openly here (at the risk of being assaulted)...Christianity is still preying upon us today.
3. Identity Crisis-If one considers him/herself an "American Citizen and lives as such, and promotes/defends/stands on the political and national tenets of the United States of America, than in "legal context" one is a"foreigner" to these lands. Again it comes down to "Nationalism" and "Ethnicity"...two distinct and seperate elements. We can be one or the other......but never one and the other together.
4. To the "American Foreigner" (i.e. OHA, State of Hawaii, US Congressmen/woman, etc.)....do not mahaoe our kuleana and stop preying upon the kindness of our tupunas` If you have koko...pololoe! I am not saying you do not come from the lands of our ancestors...i am simply pointing out the proper "Context" of the issues we all are grappling with today.

E kala mai for such a lengthy write....just wanted to make the point of how important proper "Context" is today, especially with all that we are presently facing. For me, I look back to our tupunas` time, when it all started and through their "mo`olelo" , not the poe haole, I draw my conclusions...as unpopular and contradictory (accepted belief) as they are.
Mahalo for your mana'o, but despite your criticism of Christianity, it is far superior to the oppressive religion that Kaahumanu ended, by herself, before she even knew the word of the Lord. No offense intended, I understand there are critiques of God that are very reasonable, but I don't think anyone can defend the kapu system in the eyes of modern morality.

In the end though, I think our only chance for reclaiming our native lands is through the koko - the UN Declaration of Indigenous Rights gives us the opening we need. The Hawaiian Kingdom was less than 50% kanaka maoli in 1893, so restoring that Kingdom would still put the power in the hands of mostly haoles - even more so since most Hawaiians are only part kanaka maoli. But we have a claim to the land based on blood, and that doesn't require the international recognition of the family of nations.
E kala mai ia`u...I do not believe for a moment any "relligion" is superior to another, beit Christianity, the religion that promotes human sacrafice or any oppresive tenets for that matter. There are enough historical facts from both the Christians and Ali`i/Kapu religions to paint the entire canvas of mankind with the penetrating hues of 'hypocracy'.

Please excuse my synicism...current world affairs makes modern morality no less moral than the Ali`i/Kapu and Christian religions of past centuries.

Kaahumanu understood "politics" and took advantage of the synchronicity of current events, the arrival of Christianity (she presumably must have known of the existence and psychological influence/powers of Christianity) ....I wonder, did she violate/abolish the ai`kapu??? Or perhaps demonstrated a deeper kauna that had been suppressed in the context of her tupunas` kahiko wa`a????

As for our lands....I believe the mahele constructed the "legal" parameters...internationally and also within the legal framework of the USA, State of Hawaii being no exception. The events of Jan 17, 1893 does not supercede our LCA's and RP's from Kauikeaouli. We are connected to our lands by koko (mo`okuauhau) and by our "National" identity (1843-Kauikeeaouli's Hawaiian Kingdom Government and the mahele)....not by Christianity.

At the risk of upsetting people...I am going to share my feelings and thoughts on the point you make regarding 1893.... "restoring the kingdom would still put the power in the hands of mostly haoles" ....if we were to allow the influence and corruption of Christianity as had happened between 1820-1893, perhaps mostly "haoles`" would be in power this time around as well...with the hidden intent to "EXCLUDE" non-whites in prosperity and pursuit of happiness.on our own lands.

My point is.....with koko we are "inclusive"....with any religion, it becomes an "exclusive" and offensive world.

If you have koko....beit in your toe nail only or your whole body (full blooded) than you kanaka maoli. It means no matter how little percentage it may be....you have a mo`okuauhau that connects you with the tupunas` and their lands of ancient times.

You kanaka maoli.

I will end with a simple reminder....it was the poe haole who brought the religion and its racisn; and it was the poe haole who colonized our lineal ancestors into thinking like them...we all, myself included, have to maka`ala.
I think we are dealing with interpretation of perception and concept. Probably it is better to acknowledge that both religions are barbaric. I would never consider Christianity far more superior since both religions were oppressive. The doctrines of Manifest destiny is a prime example that got its tenets from the scurrilous papal bulls. Christians don't often practice what they preach and are militant.

Since the council of chiefs were held on the heiau which were forbidden for women, Kaahumanu was unable to sit in those councils to be part of the government and decisions. She proclaimed herself Kuhina Nui and that is what prompted her to destroy the kapu system which had some merits as much as the Christian system. Modern morality is ambiguous and hypocritical with widespread bigotry. If people practice and live the word of God; we may not have the problems we're faced with today. As it stands, Christians have great difficulty obeying the 10 commandments.
US history worse than constant warfare, no rights for women, and an invasion of Tahitians that displaced the original indigenous Marquesans? We can't throw stones when we live in a glass house. Every human society has had evil in it, we can't hold ourselves higher than others - that's just naive.

That being said, if we want it to be the kuleana of true Hawaiians, we need to keep the koko pure - the WASP infection comes both by culture and by blood.

BTW, wasn't Pauahi betrothed to Lunalilo too? Was he meant for both Liliu and Pauahi at the same time?
Which US history have you been reading? You seem to be enumerating US history. You are correct in saying every society has had evil in it and it would be naive not to think so. US Americans do hold themselves higher than others; and that is naive. At least Hawaii tried to hold itself up to a higher standard in its evolution to a better standard.

The Cooks changed all that. Pauahi became intended for Bishop and Lili'u for Dominus. They intercepted Lili'u's letter of acceptance of Lunalilo's proposal and he never received it; thus he didn't pursue it any further to Lili'u's dismay.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Ikaika Hussey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service