CHAMINADE UNIVERSITY HOSTS SUMMER SERIES: “Nānā I Hawai‘i I Ko‘u Mau Maka” (See Hawai‘i through My Eyes) HONOLULU—June 6, 2008—Chaminade University will host a series of summer workshops and seminars entitled “Nānā I Hawai‘i I Ko‘u Mau Maka (See Hawai‘i Through My Eyes)” from June 16 through July 14. An important aspect of Chaminade’s mission is to offer its resources to the community in which it resides. Seminars and workshops have been chosen to meet community interests and enrich cultural understanding. The popular annual summer presentation of native Hawaiian cultural workshops and seminars at Chaminade was originally developed by the late Kumu John Keola Lake, Chaminade’s Kumu-in-Residence. This is the sixth year for “Nānā I Hawai‘i I Ko‘u Mau Maka (See Hawai‘i Through My Eyes),” put together under Kumu Lake’s direction. One of the most popular workshops for amateur and serious hula students is the Aha Hula Le‘a –Hula Workshop, an intensive weeklong series of half day sessions with some of Hawai‘i’s well-known kumu hula. This year’s guest kumu hula include Leimomi Maldonado, Kahalepuna Richardson-Naki, Kapi‘olani Ha‘o, Kula Abiva and Karen Aiu. Participants can enroll for the whole week at $150 or $30 per day. Other non-credit enrichment offerings include “Kanaka Maoli Identity and Health”, “The Search for the First Hawaiian to Study Western Medicine”, “Hawaiian Christian Spirituality”, “Indigenous Peacemaking”, “Chant, Oli: The Lyrical Poetry and Prose of Hawai‘i”, “Traditional Hawaiian Basket Forms.” A detailed listing can be found at https://www.chaminade.edu/forms/seeHawaiiThroughMyEyes.php or contact Marcia Bulosan at marciab@chaminade.edu or at (808) 735-4739 for more information.

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I will definitely check it out. Mahalo nui loa for posting the info.
This reply was deleted.