OHA's Study of Federal Recognition

Aloha. If you folks go to OHA's website, and scroll to the bottom of their first page, you will see an article entitled: Majority Support Federal Recognition of Hawaiians Here's the direct link: http://www.oha.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=412&Itemid=1 Let's look at some of the fallacies in this article. 1) Look at the title. This is what some would call "Power-Tagging," in which the article head or title exaggerates the contents of the article in order to generate interest or evoke a certain emotion in its readers. You will soon find out why the title is merely an exaggeration. 2) OHA claims to have done a study through Ward Research that did a survey on the public's support and awareness through the Akaka Bill. How many people did this truly "groundbreaking" study actually survey? Just 380. That is it. 380 people surveyed. Clearly, that is a "perfect" cross-section of the actual population that is affected by federal recognition and the Akaka Bill. Read that last sentence with sarcasm. 380 is much too small a sample size. It is laughable at best. How many Native Hawaiians are there? 400,000. So if we assume that all 380 surveyed were Native Hawaiian, then .095% of Hawaiians were surveyed. Not even 1%. Not even .1%. Absolutely ridiculous. 3) We must now consider those who were surveyed: Caucasian: 24% Hawaiian: 21% Japanese: 17% Filipino: 17% Mixed: 9% Other: 6% Chinese: 5% Refused: <1% The MAJORITY of people surveyed identified as Caucasian!!!! What good is their opinion? The last time we let Caucasians help decide what's best for us, we got...annexation. So say we accept that ALL those who identified as mixed were part Hawaiian, then roughly 30% of the people surveyed were part Hawaiian. This means, if we accept that the "mixed" are Hawaiian, that only 114 of the 380 opinions truly matter. So 114 into 400,000= .0285% of the Hawaiian population was surveyed. What good is a survey for the future of the Hawaiians if not even half of the Hawaiians are represented? 4) Now we look at the results of the survey. 70% said yes Hawaiians should be recognized by the U.S. as a distinct indigenous group, similar to the recognition given to American Indians and Alaska Natives. SO WHAT?!?!?!? Do these people understand what comes along with federal recognition? Do these people know what federal recognition is? This question played on the emotions of those being surveyed. Of course they want Hawaiians to be recognized, but do these people understand in what context? 5) Both Kau Inoa and the Akaka Bill support the creation of the "Native Hawaiian Governing Entity" (yet more proof that they're closely related). 51% of those surveyed support this. How can you say majority support when it is 1% more than half, or about 4 people more than half? They've exaggerated the title on this article saying "majority support". FALSE. If you read for yourself, most of the questions in the survey play on the emotions of Hawaiians by making them feel a certain conviction for their rights and automatically forcing them to associate a freedom to express these rights through the Akaka Bill. There are other options. The survey is flawed and OHA has yet again pulled the blanket over their beneficiaries' eyes. Shame on OHA. Wake up people! It is time to think and decide for yourselves. We ALL need to get educated and make our own decisions instead of letting corrupt, greedy, money-hungry people in places of power do it for us. The Akaka Bill does NOT build a nation. It only forms a Governing Entity. Kau Inoa: To build a "Nation-within-a-Nation." That's our other beef with Kau Inoa. The used that phrase "to build a nation" to play on our desires to be free and have our own nation. I'm sure most of you saw the word nation and thought about an independent nation. Not OHA. They only want this governing entity. Thats not good enough for us as a people. Stand up. Unite. Think! --UnKau I Noa

You need to be a member of maoliworld to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OHA needs to be Audited. I don't believe they ever were. Someone needs to look into their finances & to where the peoples monies were spent. They have broken every rule that they were sworn to do for the hawaiian peoples; and they have the Audacity to ask for more monies for themselves to increase their paychecks and yet have not produced what they were voted into office by the hawaiian people's to do! Why do they seek to employ others? they don't have the funds too. This issue with OHA is a ghost from the past. The "Hawaiian People" need to come together and protest against what OHA is doing and most of all NOT DOING! (They) Hawaiians should be pounding on OHA's doors for answers BUT, "Of Course You'd have to be 50% Hawaiian and Prove it" to have a say in the matter; Or else there would be many of us "Less than 50%'s" at their door doing exactly that!! So, It seems NoBODY cares and NoBODY is willing to step up to the plate..Only to have discussions..What's next. We can post warnings issued to the people about the situation but again there's Nobody on Oahu who wants to take responsibility to face this Claire Apoliona and Clyde Namu'o, even when everyone on Oahu knows what CROOKS they are.. The People must take action themselves. OHA has found the way to manipulate the system and they are very good at selling themselves to the legislators, they get what they want and ask for! The people must "TAKE ACTION". Create a ballot, have a special election I am curious as to how the Hawaiian people will vote but, by all means Get them IMPEACHED!!
  • Let's be clear about this. We don't need recognition by the US as an indigenous or aboriginal people since it isn't their country. It's irrelevant! They have already recognized us as nationals, subjects of the Hawaiian Kingdom. That's all we need. The ones most concerned with external recognition should be on the Hawaii Nationals and not US Americans. They need to butt out and mind their own business instead of using their WASP ethno-centric, paternalistic, archaic doctrines of Manifest Destiny.

Semantics and play on words are manipulated by personal opinions; facts do not change. Legally, there is no such legitimate thing as a nation within a nation according to their terms. The U.S. uses it as a diversion in a feel good disinformation to make one believe they have self-determination and autonomy. Under Indian Policy which we would fall under, the stipulation is that U.S. Congress has plenary (absolute) authority over the various tribes. Hawaiians would be relegated down to the level as a tribe; wards of the state, both federal and "state of hawaii". This means you are incapable of governing yourself and are likened to a child or idiot.

I'm sure you have the faculties and intelligence of an adult and in no need of a care-giver. This is what the Akaka Bill and Kau inoa is implying. There is a huge difference between trust obligations and benefits or "special privileges". One does not need the Akaka Bill with their governing entity/organization nor the use of the Kau Inoa which supports it to protect our inherent rights which we never gave up.

Initially, they said Kau inoa was a census and not to be used as support of the Akaka Bill or their creation of a "national government". Today they are saying that it's to be used as a roll of "citizens" for the creation of an entity/ organization to appear as a national government of which could negotiate lands and resources; so the U.S. can get clear title to the lands and resources of the Hawaiian Kingdom and its citizens. OHA, a State agency, compels itself to set up this governing body to usurp the jurisdiction and plenary authority of the Hawaiian Kingdom' government.

The disingenuous use of the Kau Inoa demands that you make a choice of remaining a Hawaii National of the Hawaiian Kingdom or being a much lesser status of a tribal individual subject to the U.S.A.'s plenary authority and ward of the state. We all have choices; what's yours?
    • Mahalo e Tane,

I agree with you.

I understand about just ascerting our rights as Hawaiians in the system we are in and I am all for reinstating our occupied nation but how do we go about it? We still hve to have a ss#, birth cert., state i.d. to live in the modern world. but I do recognize that the Hawaiian Kingdom is alive and well. OHA is just a bunch of people working for the state as far as I'm concerned.
      • Aloha Momi:

There are guidelines under the laws of occupation; the U.S. has been derelict in and violates till to day. Because of this deception and fraud, we are caught in a catch-22 and must follow some things in order to survive and sustain our families. Meanwhile, we should be maka'ala and educate ourselves of the laws pertinent to our situation. Our actions are under duress and we should correct the misinformation as it arises with the facts. There have abeen a few Hawaii Nationals that have expatriated back to the Kingdom and renounced the citizenship the U.S. has enforced on us.

It's interesting to know that the state has been following the Kingdom laws and much of it has been applied and enforced today. The U.S. is bound by law to maintain law and order, protect the welfare or well-being of the Hawaii nationals regardless of ethnicity, and to maintain the Kingdom's laws. The can enact laws that are not contrary to Hawaii laws. Where they have violated much of is the land reforms which ultimately displaced the Hawaiians. It is to find these laws and rectify them. This is why the state has to follow the laws for native gathering rights, kuleana, beach access, and rights of native tenants. Royal Patents have never been abrogated nor changed and it holds clear title. This is the thorn in their sides that they are trying to change and if Hawaiians do nothing; they will get away with it and we will lose it. they are counting on the Hawaiians to do nothing. The younger generation is mostly clueless of this and that's what they're banking on to steal it through intimidation.

Many Hawaiians didn't have the kind of money to hire lawyers to help them with the land issues who were familiar with the land laws. A few Hawaiian activists in the 1970s tried to assist many Hawaiians then and saved a few of their property. There are many issues to contend with and it behooves the younger generation to get educated and be active to defend our rights. In unity, there is strength. The sovereignty groups have evolved into political parties or entities with their platform to secure the Kingdom and resurrect the government. All of them are valid and share some good points. Our commonality is that we know the Kingdom still exists and we are unified in this way that we want the US to de-occupy and return our independence and status as a nation-state and revive the treaties we hold with over 25 countries and secure ones with new countries that weren't recognized during the time of the US invasion and belligerent occupation. We are still a friendly neutral independent nation-state and need to rehabilitate from the prolonged oppression and deterioration of our country. I could go on and on but this should make one aware that there is more than meets the eye. The US government and media is trying to revise and spin the facts so they won't have to give up their control of Hawaii. The myth has been exposed and the US is trying to stop the turning of the tide. They are doing everything to discredit the facts and offering the Akaka Bill to reign us in and have OHA sponsor a puppet governing body to look like the nation; but it isn't.The Hawaiian Kingdom, but made to appear as one so they can rip us off and have us secure the lands to give them clear title. E kala mai i'au for making this lengthy.
        • OHA needs to be Audited. I don't believe they ever were. Someone needs to look into their finances. They have broken every rule that they were sworn to do for the hawaiian peoples; and they have the Audacity to ask for more monies for themselves to increase their paychecks and yet have not produced what they were voted into office by the hawaiian people's to do! Why do they seek to employ others to add to their group, it shows their incapability. This issue with OHA is a ghost from the past. The "Hawaiian People" must get out there and protest against what OHA is doing and most of all NOT DOING! (They) Hawaiians should be pounding on OHA's doors for answers BUT, "Of Course You'd have to be 50% Hawaiian and Prove it" to have a say in the matter; Or else there would be many of us "Less than 50%'s" at their door doing exactly that!! So, It seems NoBODY cares and NoBODY is willing to step up to the plate..What's next. We can post your warnings to the people about the situation but again there's Nobody on Oahu who wants to take responsibility to face this Claire Apoliona and Clyde Namu'o, even when everyone on Oahu knows what CROOKS they are.. The People must take action themselves. OHA has found the way to manipulate the system and they are very good at selling themselves to the legislators, they get what they want and ask for! The PEOPLE must "TAKE ACTION". Create a ballot, have a special election I am curious as to how the Hawaiian people will vote but, by all means Get them IMPEACHED!!
  • Maika`i Unkauinoa....I'm glad you are on our side. We need to make OHA accountable for wasting our money on the Kau inoa propaganda, and the lining of their pockets on the backs of the Hawaiian peple. mahalo!
This reply was deleted.